Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2020 4:46:26 PM EDT
I know there have been discussions earlier about what appears to be rust in a new barrel. See pictures below.

Barrel is new never fired (by me) Ballistics Adv. 16" modern barrel non chrome lined. bought new from RTB.  I ran a patch of Hoppes through it and it came out pretty grungy. so I ran some more and it was looking better. then I ran a bronze brush through it followed by a patch and Wow! dark chocolate brown. Kept running Hoppes patches and brush and always the same brown.  So i left the barrel for about an hour and half, came back and ran another patch through and I get the blue green you see below.  What the heck is going on, this has never happened to my other barrels, both BA.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Salt deposits from nitriding process is my guess.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Rust isn't that color. Could be patina from testing. It could also be some some of packing grease or corrosion inhibitor.

Really honestly could be anything. I had a PWS upper that had froglube lathered inside the bore, among other places (green). Did you look inside the bore before you cleaned it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
from Ballistics Advantage:

That appears to be residual oil from the QPQ and the oil the barrel is coated in before shipping.  That won't affect anything any will clear out over time
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope not - sodium cyanide is hella toxic!
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Unfortunately,  it happens.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The green is copper from the bronze bore brush you used which coated the bore with bronze. The copper solvent bore cleaner turned it green.
But you don't have to 'clean' a new bore before shooting - just run a patch through it moistened with gun oil then dry-patch it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top