Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2019 8:48:21 PM EDT
I’m trying to help a friend that took his MP Sport out for the first time. Each time he tried to chamber a round the bolt wouldn’t go fully into position/battery. It is so close to chambering...maybe 1/4 inch from going fully into battery.

I came and got it thinking it was something easy. Maybe a BCG problem. Swapped BCGs and it was still happening.

Thought it was an ammo/magazine problem so I tried a new mag and different ammo and it did the same thing.

Thought it was a lubrications problem. Lubed it and it was still doing it.

What am I not thinking of?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
defective/out of spec barrel extension?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure its not binding on the gas tube, that is.....is the gas tube alignment centered?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you try contacting Smith & Wesson?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you try contacting Smith & Wesson?
View Quote
He probably got right through on Saturday.

Pictures would be beneficial.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Make sure its not binding on the gas tube, that is.....is the gas tube alignment centered?
View Quote
My first thought too, make sure the carrier isn’t hitting the gas tube.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What am I not thinking of?
View Quote
Barrel not chambered correctly.

If it seems to cycle correctly with no ammo but can't chamber a round, and using a different BCG made no difference, it might well be that the chamber is too tight to chamber a round. Either that or the ammo you are trying to use is out of spec - too long.

Take the BCG out and try dropping a round into the chamber just by hand and look at it, compared to another AR. See if it falls out by gravity by pointing the rifle up or sticks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Does it go into battery without a round in the chamber?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ll try to answer questions from above.....here are some pics.

The gun appears to function flawlessly when I’m not chambering a round.

Sometimes I can get the bcg to go all the way forward....but I can never extract the round without mortaring the rifle.

There doesn’t appear to be an issue with the gas tube clearance.

Bolt doesn’t appear to have any areas of wear.

If I put a round in the chamber without a magazine and then send the bolt home it has the exact same hang up and I have to mortar it.

It goes into battery without a round in the chamber just fine.

When I drop a round in the chamber, it doesn’t appear to go in as far as my rifles.  We are talking 1/16 of an inch...which isn’t hard to tell with the naked eye.

Jon

" />
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like his chamber is cut out of spec.
View Quote
+1 sounds like an out of spec chamber. Don't mess with it an void the warranty, send it back to smith.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]
If I had that problem using factory new ammunition not reloads of the correct caliber for the barrel I would send it back to the factory as already mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Had a friend show me his M&P Sport that would not chamber. I went thru the usual diagnostics changing BCG, mags, even put a different bolt catch on.....nothing. Started looking close at the receivers themselves, comparing to some I had. Noticed extra metal in front of the upper that had not been completely milled out and was blocking the BCG. How did this EVER make it out of the factory?? Worst quality control ever, as in none. So if the usual checks don't yield a fix, start looking closely at the milling of the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Had a friend show me his M&P Sport that would not chamber. I went thru the usual diagnostics changing BCG, mags, even put a different bolt catch on.....nothing. Started looking close at the receivers themselves, comparing to some I had. Noticed extra metal in front of the upper that had not been completely milled out and was blocking the BCG. How did this EVER make it out of the factory?? Worst quality control ever, as in none. So if the usual checks don't yield a fix, start looking closely at the milling of the upper receiver.
View Quote
Another argument for rolling your own AR vs. buying one built by someone tired of being paid $9.50/hr. Yeah, I know...SyW workers are highly paid union workers. That's an even worse excuse.

DO NOT attempt to shoot that firearm! Send it back to the mfr.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Scrub that chamber with a chamber brush and solvent, then report back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't read all this extensively, but what I did of it, it does sound like your chamber is too tight.  From reading your last post.  But savagemann could be right.  It might just be a horribly gunked up chamber.  Or had some kind of....  something in there that needs to be cleaned out so the round can chamber properly.   It would be nice if it was the latter.  Because if it's the former, a smith will have to work it over.

Everyone always says AR should just go together when you buy parts and build them but for some reason the one build my BIL did, his chamber was too tight too and needed to be fixed.  In theory that shouldn't happen, but I think it does every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Al good ideas and sigggestions.  I ran a bore snake through but will try a brush tonight.  I didn’t ask how it was stored or where it was stored. I know he bought it a year ago and never shot it. Since it sat for a year...it could have formed some surface rust or something.

After I reread my original list I realized I never said that it sat unfired for over a year....although the oil Smith ships them with should be sufficient (depending on storage conditions).

If I can’t get it to load after a good scrubbing with a bore brush and solvent...it’s going back to Smith.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#20]
A new gun will have preservatave on/in it, not oil. Clean thouroughly

including taking the BCG apart and scrub the snot out of it.

Lube and re-try.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Special edition .222 Remington for Mexican contract?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Is there a broken case neck stuck in the chamber??

kwg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top