Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2021 4:08:58 PM EDT
Just purchased and LWRC IC DI. Is it possible to put an extended magazine release on the right side, has anyone done it? Will it interfere with the ambidextrous release?
Due to an injury to my right hand I have trouble pushing the mag release with my index finger without removing my hand from the pistol grip.

The standard release button is not a problem. It is the left side release LWRC installs that is my question.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a picture of that side of the receiver and post it here.

Then we can decide.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh..Wait...You're asking if you can replace the little button with one of these:

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Something like that will work fine. It's just a modified button that will accept the 2 screws.

You remove the current button, install the new button, then screw on the extended paddle.

Good to go.

Taylor Tactical
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
bttt
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
--- deleted ---
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Could you develop a system for hitting the mag release with your support hand? Maybe bring the loaded mag up, hit the release with your index finger and stick the new mag in? It would probably be awkward at first, but with enough repetitions should smooth out and be fairly quick. It would all go to hell if the empty mag didn't drop fee though. IDK, just an idea
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, I read your post three times and I still can't tell whether you're asking about the mag release button on the right side or the mag release on the left side.    Maybe try again?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
No, the LWRC mag catch threaded portion is is different thread pitch and smaller diameter than a typical mag catch

That answers my question. Will have to live with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, the LWRC mag catch threaded portion is is different thread pitch and smaller diameter than a typical mag catch, so those aftermarket extended buttons on the right side won’t fit. One could probably replace the entire mag catch, but I haven’t tried, so I can’t confirm.
View Quote

I’m using a Geissele checkered mag release button on both my LWRCs, they both threaded right on like any other button, and both of the ones I removed are milspec.  One I bought in 2014, the other I bought in 2020.  This is the first I’ve ever heard of this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:I’m using a Geissele checkered mag release button on both my LWRCs, they both threaded right on like any other button, and both of the ones I removed are milspec.  One I bought in 2014, the other I bought in 2020.  This is the first I’ve ever heard of this.
View Quote

@LG45

I stand corrected. Not that it matters, but my eyes are bad, and I made that assessment by measuring with a digital caliper when I first got the lower. I just removed mine and realized there's flats on the sides that measure .145" vs the full diameter of .180" and I didn't realize it at the time. My apologies for the misinformation, I've deleted my previous post, and thanks to BigHaggis13, I'll switch my mag release button out too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@LG45

I stand corrected. Not that it matters, but my eyes are bad, and I made that assessment by measuring with a digital caliper when I first got the lower. I just removed mine and realized there's flats on the sides that measure .145" vs the full diameter of .180" and I didn't realize it at the time. My apologies for the misinformation, I've deleted my previous post, and thanks to BigHaggis13, I'll switch my mag release button out too.
View Quote

No harm no foul lol I was more curious if it was on an older rifle or something.  I know some manufacturers get a little crazy with proprietary parts.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top