Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2020 6:24:06 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

My father in law has asked me to build his first ar for him. Mainly for his price point of $2k am I picking the best parts for this build if this is going to be his only AR? If it goes over budget he doesn't mind so if there's something better please let me know.

What he wants:
16"
lightweight
compact
accurate

Heres the list I have put together right now based off of a lot of them being parts I either have or have used in the past. The dead air FH is because I have dead air cans and he does not have any and has no interest in getting one but if were together Ill be able to throw one of my cans on his gun for him.

Im a pretty new poster so if this is in the wrong area please let me know. All info and suggestions is much appreciated.

Barrel - Larue PredaTAR 16" Mid Length

Gas Block - Larue that comes with Barrel

Gas Tube - Larue that comes with Barrel

Flash Hider - Dead air FH

Upper - BCM assembled

Lower - ? Undecided if I want to use an aero or go to something like the KAC stripped for $210. Since its his only one Id like it to be a great lower.

LPK - Geissele Enhanced LPK

BCG - SOLGW

Charging Handle - BCM or Geissele

Optic - Trijicon Mro with Larue mount.

Stock - B5 Enhanced

Buffer Tube - Geissele

Buffer Spring - Geissele super 42 H1

Trigger - Larue MBT 2S Curved

Handguard - BCM

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You nailed it. Just go with KAC. Best for the best IMO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Not bad.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you know what he means by lightweight.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
subroc -

Thats honestly my biggest concern. I have a 13.7 that is very similar parts to this and it is 10lbs with suppressor. Granted I have a LPVO on it and mount that is just under 2lbs alone.
Im thinking if I keep it at 7 or so he will be happy. He shoots aks and mini 14s so if I keep it around that weight it will be solid.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
$2,000 is a nice budget to work with, even including an MRO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#7]
You could just go all LaRue and order the UU kit.  That would take care of the entire upper and then get a LaRue lower as well.  

You will love that tAR barrel.  Seriously, check out the Ultimate Upper kits, you will smile at the price.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you paying for this build and is it a gift or is he paying for it and you are building or assembling it?

If the former then you can give him whatever gift you choose. If the latter and it is his money, I would want him in on every part pf the decision making process especially the barrel, handguard, stock and optic. Also, his input on receiver set would be helpful as well as he might not or might want some particular brand name. I would be prepared to explain how these parts differ from, say, a military Colt to give him a frame of reference. If he owns both an AK and a mini-14 he must have some ideas about what he wants. I would present him with some options to think about.

If it is a gift I am sure he will be happy with it. If it is his money you will come out of this with a close bond to you father-in-law for a job well done or him thinking you are dumber than dirt and you just wasted $2000 of his hard earned money.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
BCG - Fail Zero

Fail Zero BCG's are far from High End. If you want a well made BCG, look at Centurion, SOLGW, KAC, LMT, and SIONICS.

Buffer Tube - Geissele
Buffer Spring - Geissele super 42 H1 or Jp Silent

If you want high end, don't even both with either of these. Both are known to cause issues. VLTOR A5 is the best thing on the market right now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DAVE_M:
BCG - Fail Zero

Fail Zero BCG's are far from High End. If you want a well made BCG, look at Centurion, SOLGW, KAC, LMT, and SIONICS.

Buffer Tube - Geissele
Buffer Spring - Geissele super 42 H1 or Jp Silent

If you want high end, don't even both with either of these. Both are known to cause issues. VLTOR A5 is the best thing on the market right now.
View Quote

This

If you want a fancy BCG get a DD Chrome, Sionics NP3, or Cryptic Coatings varient

I just use qaultiy c158 phosphate and suits me well.  SOLGW makes a really good one and can catch on sale at PA sometimes.  BCM is always good as well

A5 is great as well.  I am not big on the G42 set up.  JP would get picked over that
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive had no problem with The G buffer tubes , or the super 42 but be aware the super 42 carbine spring requires the proprietary Geissele buffer , they have a smaller od than a standard buffer.
However if you went with a vltor a5 rifle tube you can use the G super 42 rifle spring with any standard rifle buffer including the vltor rifle buffers but only run a5 buffers in a a5 RE

For bcg dd chrome, lmt enhanced bolt , centurion arms phosphate,  or cryptic coatings for crazy coatings.

A poster above suggested just going with a larue uu kit and i would strongly suggest the same. My uu is honestly one of my top 2 nicest rifles and number 1 in accuracy .

With the money saved on the uu , you could step up the optics , or get him into a suppressor,  when you buy the uu kit you get a special price for the tranquilo suppressor its either 399 or 499 cant remember off the top of my head.

Lastly if you Have a red dot to let him check out to make sure he doesnt have a astigmatism,  i do and its about ruined red dots for me there just a giant bloom.

Have fun with your build its always fun to build for family and see there reaction.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I am using a G42 H1 in my main gun so am aware of the proprietary buffer weight and spring. Ive have never had an issue with it and has worked great for me suppressed and unsuppressed so that's why I was going to keep rolling with it for his as well. Awesome info on the Vltor system I have read and heard a ton about them and have been wanting to try one. Guess I need to order one and check it out cuz I've heard they are the best. I looked at the uu kit and it is an awesome deal and very tempting however I don't like how the upper and handguard seem to be proprietary to lock up to themselves so if he doesn't like the Handguard I can't swap it.

Fail Zero BCG is out. I will be going with a DD, BCM, or LMT Enhanced.

The biggest issue with this build is we won't see each other for about 8 months so I can't have him look through my MRO, Eotechs, or LPVO's to see what he prefers. I have been sending him videos and reviews on sights I recommend but with what's going on in the country he's not really wanting to go to a shop to check them out. He says he does not have an astigmatism. I have a slight one as well and its forced me to go Eotech or LPVO for most of mine now as well.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and info!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Larue kits are tough to beat and it'll be under your $2k figure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By remidog89:
I am using a G42 H1 in my main gun so am aware of the proprietary buffer weight and spring. Ive have never had an issue with it and has worked great for me suppressed and unsuppressed so that's why I was going to keep rolling with it for his as well. Awesome info on the Vltor system I have read and heard a ton about them and have been wanting to try one. Guess I need to order one and check it out cuz I've heard they are the best. I looked at the uu kit and it is an awesome deal and very tempting however I don't like how the upper and handguard seem to be proprietary to lock up to themselves so if he doesn't like the Handguard I can't swap it.

Fail Zero BCG is out. I will be going with a DD, BCM, or LMT Enhanced.

The biggest issue with this build is we won't see each other for about 8 months so I can't have him look through my MRO, Eotechs, or LPVO's to see what he prefers. I have been sending him videos and reviews on sights I recommend but with what's going on in the country he's not really wanting to go to a shop to check them out. He says he does not have an astigmatism. I have a slight one as well and its forced me to go Eotech or LPVO for most of mine now as well. 

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and info! 
View Quote

I like the super 42 to as well it really smooths out the action. I had the same concerns about how the rail was connected to the upper , but it also makes the barrel truely free floated i believe this is one of the reason the uu kits are so accurate. Which ever you decide it sounds like your father in law is going to have a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By brx123:

I like the super 42 to as well it really smooths out the action. I had the same concerns about how the rail was connected to the upper , but it also makes the barrel truely free floated i believe this is one of the reason the uu kits are so accurate. Which ever you decide it sounds like your father in law is going to have a very nice rifle.
View Quote

Thats true, Didn't think about that! Gonna have to take another look at it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#16]
However if you went with a vltor a5 rifle tube you can use the G super 42 rifle spring with any standard rifle buffer including the vltor rifle buffers.
View Quote

This is incorrect.

VLTOR A5 receiver extensions require rifle length springs with VLTOR A5 buffers only. You cannot use a Geissele Super 42 spring, carbine spring, or carbine buffers in an A5 receiver extension.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#17]

This is incorrect.

VLTOR A5 receiver extensions require rifle length springs with VLTOR A5 buffers only. You cannot use a Geissele Super 42 spring, carbine spring, or carbine buffers in an A5 receiver extension.
View Quote

I know thats why i suggested using the super 42 rifle spring that will accept standard rifle buffers.G makes a super 42 rifle length spring.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#18]

I know thats why i suggested using the super 42 rifle spring that will accept standard rifle buffers.G makes a super 42 rifle length spring.
View Quote

That’s also not going to work.

You cannot use a rifle buffer or carbine buffer in an A5 receiver extension. A5 buffers are longer than carbine buffers, but shorter than rifle buffers. A5 buffers are roughly 3/4” longer than carbine buffers.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#19]

That’s also not going to work.

You cannot use a rifle buffer or carbine buffer in an A5 receiver extension. A5 buffers are longer than carbine buffers, but shorter than rifle buffers. A5 buffers are roughly 3/4” longer than carbine buffers.

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5500/47d11/product_images/uploaded_images/buffers.jpg?t=1457858285
View Quote

From this thread it seems G and vltor say it will work but you may have to change buffer weights

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Using-a-Geissele-Super-42-rifle-spring-with-the-Vltor-A5-system-Info-and-questions-/12-744110/
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#20]
The KAC and LMT lowers are indeed very nice.
In addition I'd suggest looking at the PWS MK 1 MOD 2 plus one of their Bootleg enhanced uppers, both pieces are forged, LW ambi goodness.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#21]

From this thread it seems G and vltor say it will work but you may have to change buffer weights

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Using-a-Geissele-Super-42-rifle-spring-with-the-Vltor-A5-system-Info-and-questions-/12-744110/
View Quote

I think you are very confused.

You should only be running an A5 buffer in an A5 receiver extension with a Rifle Length Spring.

Geissele sells a Super 42 rifle length spring.

The rifle length Super 42 is compatible with the A5 system.

You should NOT run a rifle buffer in an A5 tube, regardless of what spring you use.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#22]

I think you are very confused.

You should only be running an A5 buffer in an A5 receiver extension with a Rifle Length Spring.

Geissele sells a Super 42 rifle length spring.

The rifle length Super 42 is compatible with the A5 system.

You should NOT run a rifle buffer in an A5 tube, regardless of what spring you use.
View Quote

I think we got our signals crossed here , i was saying the g rifle spring will accept any rifle buffer including the a5 buffer as in its not a proprietary buffer like the carbine . I agree you should only run the a5 buffer with the a5 reciever ext. Maybe i should have explained in more detail in the first post my apologies.

Edit: i just reread my first post and i definitely should have phrased it differently i can see why you thought i was saying what you did
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By subroc:
Make sure you know what he means by lightweight.
View Quote

^^Good point!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
A LaRue Ultimate Upper kit and a Larue billet Lower is hard to beat for $1000.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Is the $2000 budget with optic or without?

If it’s without, I’d encourage him to spend an extra $300 and get a KAC SR-15.

If with, there are PLENTY of quality factory guns with warranties he could get within his budget and still get an optic. If this was his nth AR, I’d totally understand doing a custom build. But if you guys only see each other once or twice a year, the last thing you want is for something to not work with the rest of the system and it not run correctly and you’re not around to troubleshoot/fix. If he gets a rifle from a reputable, quality company, and something goes wrong, at least he has a warranty and can send it back.

Plus, unless you have tools to properly stake castle nuts, pin gas blocks, and headspace bolts, it’s not going to be as bullet proof as something from LMT, KAC, SOLGW, BCM, DD, Colt, etc.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By UncleverUsername:
Is the $2000 budget with optic or without?

If it’s without, I’d encourage him to spend an extra $300 and get a KAC SR-15. 

If with, there are PLENTY of quality factory guns with warranties he could get within his budget and still get an optic. If this was his nth AR, I’d totally understand doing a custom build. But if you guys only see each other once or twice a year, the last thing you want is for something to not work with the rest of the system and it not run correctly and you’re not around to troubleshoot/fix. If he gets a rifle from a reputable, quality company, and something goes wrong, at least he has a warranty and can send it back. 

Plus, unless you have tools to properly stake castle nuts, pin gas blocks, and headspace bolts, it’s not going to be as bullet proof as something from LMT, KAC, SOLGW, BCM, DD, Colt, etc.
View Quote

Hate to derail OP but I have to agree with this.

If I had $2,000 in my pocket to spend on an AR only I'd probably save a couple extra bucks and get the KAC as well.

If that budget included some optic money I'd be looking at DD.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You could just go all LaRue and order the UU kit.  That would take care of the entire upper and then get a LaRue lower as well.  

You will love that tAR barrel.  Seriously, check out the Ultimate Upper kits, you will smile at the price.
View Quote
Came to post this,hard to beat
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Larue UU kit and a used acog.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm really happy with my LaRue PredatAR 18" barrel.  I bought it before they offered the UU kit.  Had it been available at the time, I would have definitely gone that route.  While the barrel weight is just a little less than the gov't profile, it has the meat near the chamber and tapers down near the muzzle.  This keeps most of the weight close to the grip and minimizes weight in the forend - so it handles well and points quickly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Larue UU kit with a Larue lower, done.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top