Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2021 11:50:17 PM EDT
The bolt is marked "MPC" but (and I'm not exagerating) so faintly that it took me getting out a magnifying glass to be sure that it was really there.  

Underneath "MPC" is an "A" that's much more pronounced.

The MPC is so faint that it literally won't show up when I take pictures of it, although it really is there.  

Came off an LE6920 OEM 2 upper purchased from midwayusa.com.

Took about 10 pictures, this is the only one I could get to slightly make out the MPC marking.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably should move to Colt Industry forum.

My 2-c:  Comt is putting all kinds of crazy uppers and parts in their CR6920.  I got one last week with no CAGE Code on the receiver and no C on the bolt.  I could tell the receiver was Comt, but there is not consistency in what how they are marking the uppers and components.  I don’t doubt the quality.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Bolt and carrier markings have always had a slight tendency to be stamped lightly like that.

I have a 6920 upper with no C or cage code on it and I think it’s from ‘17 or ‘18.  

Inconsistent markings and inconsistencies in general are in now way indicative of something new going on at Colt. They’ve ALWAYS been that way and they don’t give a shit.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Why bother as far as it’s properly marked?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
On my 6920 the MPC is more readable but I don't have the A, Mine is a bit older, it has the restricted markings.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing new.

"A" stamp is subcontractor ID.

Be happy you didn't get one of the "MP" marked bolts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing new.

View Quote

What are the "MP" bolts?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What are the "MP" bolts?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing new.

What are the "MP" bolts?

"MP" are the only markings present.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Regardless of how they are stamped, any bolt made for colt still has to go by their standards of HP testing and MPI.  I called into colt this week and they assure me they still make plenty of parts in house, including barrels and BCGs.  They said it wouldn't make sense to scrap all that equipment for making that stuff when they already have it.  

I was also told that when they do subcontract things out, it has to be equal or better quality to what they can produce in house.  

That's why when I have a question I like to go straight to the horses mouth.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bolt and carrier markings have always had a slight tendency to be stamped lightly like that.

I have a 6920 upper with no C or cage code on it and I think it’s from ‘17 or ‘18.  

Inconsistent markings and inconsistencies in general are in now way indicative of something new going on at Colt. They’ve ALWAYS been that way and they don’t give a shit.

View Quote

I had an AR from the late 1980s, bought new in the box, that I was selling in 1994, when the first ban was enacted.  I didn't know anything about markings.  A prospective buyer couldn't find the 'C' on the bolt and walked away.  I got back home and, with some oil, the 'C' was faintly visible.  Showed it to another guy, who bought it without even checking.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Regardless of how they are stamped, any bolt made for colt still has to go by their standards of HP testing and MPI.  I called into colt this week and they assure me they still make plenty of parts in house, including barrels and BCGs.  They said it wouldn't make sense to scrap all that equipment for making that stuff when they already have it.  

I was also told that when they do subcontract things out, it has to be equal or better quality to what they can produce in house.  
View Quote

I have zero issues with subcontractor components as long as the TDP is followed. The hodgepodge of marking methods is an issue for me personally. I'll not pay the premium for unknown provenance.

Couple that with the shady fuckers at gun shops that pull components and swap with lesser quality components and it's a shit fest. I want to [i]know[/i] that it's a Colt approved piece, not some commercial grade trash.

Curious as to the scope of involvement with manufacturing regarding your contact at Hartford? I haven't had a viable/knowledgeable contact in ~3 years so no inside track on production, but the dealers that I am in contact with state the opposite.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have zero issues with subcontractor components as long as the TDP is followed. The hodgepodge of marking methods is an issue for me personally. I'll not pay the premium for unknown provenance.

Couple that with the shady fuckers at gun shops that pull components and swap with lesser quality components and it's a shit fest. I want to [i]know[/i] that it's a Colt approved piece, not some commercial grade trash.

Curious as to the scope of involvement with manufacturing regarding your contact at Hartford? I haven't had a viable/knowledgeable contact in ~3 years so no inside track on production, but the dealers that I am in contact with state the opposite.
View Quote

The MPC engraving would ensure it is a colt part.  I have no issues with double markings as long as the Colt approved markings are on there as well, to ensure that it was made to the TDP with colt's approval.  

The guy I talked to said something to the effect of,

"...they (CZ) bought a fully functioning gun company.  We are still producing rifles, as we always have.  Our first priority is fulfilling our military and LEO contracts and demand from them for rifles has skyrocketed in the past year."  

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The MPC engraving would ensure it is a colt part.  I have no issues with double markings as long as the Colt approved markings are on there as well, to ensure that it was made to the TDP with colt's approval.  

"...they (CZ) bought a fully functioning gun company.  We are still producing rifles, as we always have.  Our first priority is fulfilling our military and LEO contracts and demand from them for rifles has skyrocketed in the past year."  

View Quote

That's a broad statement open to much interpretation.

"MPC" markings are not the issue for me nor the additional subcontractor marking. The generic "MP" on bolts,and absence of carrier upper receiver markings is bullshit, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe the "A" is for Anderson now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe the "A" is for Anderson now.
View Quote

Funny , but no.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"MPC" markings are not the issue for me nor the additional subcontractor marking. The generic "MP" on bolts,and absence of carrier upper receiver markings is bullshit, IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call in and express your grievances as a customer.  Anyone can just call in and talk to them, I did.  I have with FN too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Call in and express your grievances as a customer.  Anyone can just call in and talk to them, I did.  
View Quote

Yeah, because customer opinion is high on their agenda.  

FWIW, I have called twice in the last hour, just to see what sort of clown show is on the menu this month.

Calls routed to CS are on a revolving menu. First call I let spin 7 times, 4 on second call. Which I guess is an improvement over Jan of this year when the lines just continually rang with zero answer.

Was a time when one could actually interact with individuals in Engineering and Manufacturing and obtain knowledgeable and accurate info. That time is past.

Hopefully CZ changes that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's why when I have a question I like to go straight to the horses mouth.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Regardless of how they are stamped, any bolt made for colt still has to go by their standards of HP testing and MPI.
View Quote

Seems like an hard to understand concept for a lot of people out there.

Most of us forget that the big army has dozen of subcontractors that make replacement parts.. like toolcraft.. if a colt bolt fails it may or may not get a colt replacement bolt.. as far as they’re made to TDP spec there nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
New Colt is teh suk..old Colt is bees knees.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Pic of another Colt/subcontractor marked bolt head common as of late:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#21]
For reference:
Top pic is of factory bolt on my CR6920  (7/20 dated bag) with a super faint MPC and stronger "A" marking.
Bottom pic is of a new Colt bolt assembly purchased from Midway USA in October '20. MPC is slightly more legible and no "A".

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I recently purchased a complete 6920 upper from a reputable seller and it has a bolt with the exact same light markings.    The BCG has a stamped C, the charging handle has a cage code engraved, and the upper receiver  has no cage code engraving or C stamp, it only has a Keyhole forge mark.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I would take those light markings any day over the non marked bolt that I got in a new 6921 conversion kit upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top