Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2020 10:22:27 PM EDT
Brand new rifle that I looked over carefully in the store before laying my money down. Out of the plastic bag the barrel was shiny and heavily coated with some thick oil. Looked fine except one very small scratch that was no big deal. After field stripping and wiping it down with CLP and lubing, went to the range the next day and put 50 rounds through it and another 75 the following day. Ran perfectly. Carried it in a padded soft case and placed it down on wood benches only. After wiping everything off with a microfiber rag when I got home, I noticed the barrel had all kinds of scuffs and scratches on it, which I'm positive I didn't cause. It's cosmetic only (zero dings or deep scratches) and the marks disappear completely after wiping it down with CLP and removing the excess with a paper towel or old t-shirt. However the marks will come back if the CLP is removed. I tried using a nylon brush and CLP to removed them but didn't do a thing. I have a parked SA 1911 and am somewhat familiar with the finish.

Is this normal from Colt factory assembly?

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It's 100% normal, shoot the thing, it looks kind of virgin to me.

You can make those marks with a fingernail.

I'd bet all those marks were made when the FSB was slid onto the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, totally normal
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish my 2012 6920 barrel looked that good when I bought it. Totally normal.

Also, if those marks bother you, don't look deeply at the rest of your rifle. Colts are downright ugly when it comes to machining, finish quality, etc. Guarantee you've got marks and dings and scuffs and chatter marks elsewhere. Par for the course with Colt since the dawn of time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine all have them. They even get those marks when in a plastic bag. If something bumps it, new mar. No biggie. Converts money to noise in style. Love it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I only looked at the photos. Cant notice anything wrong
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brand new rifle that I looked over carefully in the store before laying my money down. Out of the plastic bag the barrel was shiny and heavily coated with some thick oil. Looked fine except one very small scratch that was no big deal. After field stripping and wiping it down with CLP and lubing, went to the range the next day and put 50 rounds through it and another 75 the following day. Ran perfectly. Carried it in a padded soft case and placed it down on wood benches only. After wiping everything off with a microfiber rag when I got home, I noticed the barrel had all kinds of scuffs and scratches on it, which I'm positive I didn't cause. It's cosmetic only (zero dings or deep scratches) and the marks disappear completely after wiping it down with CLP and removing the excess with a paper towel or old t-shirt. However the marks will come back if the CLP is removed. I tried using a nylon brush and CLP to removed them but didn't do a thing. I have a parked SA 1911 and am somewhat familiar with the finish.

Is this normal from Colt factory assembly?

https://i.imgur.com/Rw881ldl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3ZnQXwOl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IUlcO7Ul.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/7jzWBTTl.jpg
View Quote

Normal!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 that look better than that, but it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to Colt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Holy crap OP.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Clean with alcohol, apply Cold Blue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s a horrible idea
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
It’s not supposed to be a work of art you know.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

It's Tier 1 normal.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That’s a horrible idea
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a horrible idea

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Krylon the entire thing.  

Done.  Never again will you give a shit about any tiny, inconsequential scratches like that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Krylon the entire thing.  

Done.  Never again will you give a shit about any tiny, inconsequential scratches like that.
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#19]
How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#20]
It would look worse than that after one training class. Shoot the thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Wait a few years and you'll wish it looked that good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks all for the replies. My OCD has finally gone back in it's cage now. Over 200 rounds through it so far has been good therapy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks all for the replies. My OCD has finally gone back in it's cage now. Over 200 rounds through it so far has been good therapy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#24]
My NIB LE6920 has similar markings. As noted, Colts are not pageant queens.

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s a great rifle, you’ll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#26]
OP

I hope you enjoy your 6920.

Added:  My recently purchased cr6920 came with a few minor scuff marks, but shoots perfectly well. No failures or problems with mine after approx. 500 rounds.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Normal.  I just bought a 6920 as well.  It's the same as other AR's with the same finish.  It's a tool, just like a hammer.  Use it and don't worry about what it looks like.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. That is the wrong answer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Thats typical. Nothing to worry about...
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#30]
OP needs to shoot his gun not stare at it.  Get that shit hot, bang it around barricades, toss it in the grass as you run to a position to shoot prone.  It is an AR not a shiny Weatherby Mk20 something.  

Shiny pretty guns get treated with care, ARs are bang around guns and don't get babied.  

OP needs to go do a Cola Warrior and toss that rifle in a bin for a ride on a ATV in the mud out to the range where he can shoot it in the pouring rain while covered in sweat and gunk.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Nothing new, just a Colt employee signing his name to the product. I bought a new Colt SOCOM barrel in the plastic bag and it has no handling marks.
Colt builds these rifles for the military and don't really care about the final finish, only that it shoots. How's the forge flashing around the lower?
The "it's not a show pony" is a poor excuse for a product being built by a bunch of heavy handed employees. That's the problem with Mil-Spec,
it only has to meet a requirement and anything above that is a waste of the companies time and money. You have a rifle that is what it is.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Broken
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#33]
It’s a Colt.  They bang them around at the factory.  Built to shoot not admire.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#34]
who ever suggested "cold blue" ,this is where you punch yourself in the balls
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#35]
thats funny about the oil , my M4 was dripping when i got it home , i set it on the gun bench ,went and made some lunch , by the time i got back there were 3 small drip puddles under it , i remember thinking wtf

as far as banging it around callously , thats not me , im not going to cry if it gets scuffed , but im not chucking it behind the seat of  the field truck
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Normal for ARs; not just Colt.  I've actually seen much worse from others.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#37]
It's been a while since stopping by, and this thread is what I find.

Seriously though, that is some serious battle scars you are sporting there sport!  Now as long as you don't have ANY copper marks in your barrel, and your gas rings are PERFECTLY spaced, your gun may run.

If you really get into playing with that thing, you are going to be banging and smashing all kinds of stuff with it.  You WILL look back at this and regret posting your photo.  It looks like it just came out of a box.

By the way... what is the best gun oil?  ??

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Parkerizing or phosphate will all look like that when dry. A light coat of oil or wax will make it nice and clean looking. And help prevent rust.
Melonite, nitriding, nickel, chrome plating, Cerakote, Gunkote, and a few others won't look like this just from sliding in the cardboard box.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Take a few multi-day carbine classes.  I promise that will make all the SMALL scratches go away.

There are actually some guys who will intentionally kick their rifle around in dirt and gravel.  Everyone wants cool "battle scars" on their rifle... don't want to look like a virgin!  

But, Don't be a cheater, earn your scars.  Good start, but  it's time to kick it up a notch.  At least do some 2-gun!  Whack that thing on a door frame or two!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Completely normal for Colt and lotsa other manufacturers. All good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I like my Colt cr6920 so much that I just bought another one.

I expect a couple of scuff marks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#43]
It's damaged, no good to use.  Send it to me for disposal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is still in it's box coated with a thick layer of oil. Not sure if I will save it for the future, or clean it up and start shooting it. I usually don't have safe queens.

I also have a surplus carry handle on it's way to me and it will likely have a few scuffs, so it will match the rifle nicely if the rifle comes with handling marks.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

No- send it to me for PROPER disposal, along with all the dangerous  ammo. You will thank me later!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Looks like OP got one of the better looking ones.  It's a keeper.

There was never any reason for Colt to turn out cosmetically blemished ARs.  The entire mainstream AR industry has long since found cost-efficient ways to do parkerized steel and anodized aluminum in far more consistent, uniform and cosmetically pleasing ways.  Everybody.  And typically at or below the same price and with the same or better function and durability.

Maybe with the sale of Colt to CZ this will change for the better.  While functional quality had been fine, there really is no reason Colt can't do better on fit and finish.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Military vs boutique firearms.

Apples/oranges.

One source of Colt's beauty marks.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks like OP got one of the better looking ones.  It's a keeper.

There was never any reason for Colt to turn out cosmetically blemished ARs.  The entire mainstream AR industry has long since found cost-efficient ways to do parkerized steel and anodized aluminum in far more consistent, uniform and cosmetically pleasing ways.  Everybody.  And typically at or below the same price and with the same or better function and durability.

Maybe with the sale of Colt to CZ this will change for the better.  While functional quality had been fine, there really is no reason Colt can't do better on fit and finish.
View Quote

When I originally made this post, I was surprised and somewhat disappointed that the new Colt which I paid too much for had all these marks on a new barrel compared to the almost perfect finish on my Anderson AM-15 which I paid less than half the Colt's price. Fairly new to AR's and with bad OCD, I realize I was making an issue out of nothing. That said, I wiped the barrel down with CLP and removed the excess with a paper towel and the marks on the Parkerizing disappeared. The 6920 has been 100% for me with about 700 rounds downrange as has the Anderson with about 900 rounds through it. Both are keepers for me. Amusing this thread has lived so long.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When I originally made this post, I was surprised and somewhat disappointed that the new Colt which I paid too much for had all these marks on a new barrel compared to the almost perfect finish on my Anderson AM-15 which I paid less than half the Colt's price. Fairly new to AR's and with bad OCD, I realize I was making an issue out of nothing. That said, I wiped the barrel down with CLP and removed the excess with a paper towel and the marks on the Parkerizing disappeared. The 6920 has been 100% for me with about 700 rounds downrange as has the Anderson with about 900 rounds through it. Both are keepers for me. Amusing this thread has lived so long.
View Quote

Glad to hear you have made peace with your Colt.

I bought two cr6920's, one came with no handling marks at all, and the other came with some handling marks. Since I am a "it's a tool" kind of guy, in addition to being a compulsive firearms buyer, the marks on the one doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I almost never use a rifle case, and I like a rifle to look well used. My 6920's have performed perfectly and I am glad to hear you are happy with yours. Enjoy!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top