Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2018 4:41:56 PM EDT
Working on a new build and am trying for something as short and light as possible without having to go the pistol or SBR route.

I'd been looking for one of the Faxon pencil 14.5" barrels with permanently attached flash suppressor for a while now, and finally found one on RTB last Friday.  Ordered it, along with a melonited Toolcraft BCG, and received them late this week.

BCG:  Going just from an appearance perspective, the BCG is pretty awesome.  Beautiful finish and great machining.  At $69 it was a great deal, IMHO.

Barrel:  It is a thing of beauty, and is noticeably thinner and lighter than the 16" BA Hanson barrel I used in the last build.

I'm using a BCM upper, and they aren't kidding about the undersized barrel ring.  As they advised, I had to heat the barrel ring with a blow dryer to expand it in order to seat the barrel extension.  Nice.

All I need to finish the build at this point is the charging handle, a hand guard, and a gas block.  I think I'll be going with another 12" Aero Precision Atlas S-ONE hand guard (same as the carbine in the 3rd pic), but I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

The barrel and BCG:

The weld mark on the flash suppressor:

Relative lengths between a 14.5" and a 16" barrel:
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Plenty of excellent, lightweight handguards out there. BCM's MCMR is a sturdy, light MLOK rail for a decent price.V Seven Weapon Systems makes a handguard that is unbelievably light, but I can't imagine it is as durable as reported.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
SLR Rifleworks has many options. Here is one.

SLR Rifleworks
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, the build is complete.

LR:  PSA
UR:  BCM
LPK:  CMMG.  Not really pleased with this LPK, but it's working.  Plain Jane basic stuff.
Trigger and Hammer:  No idea, bought from a local vendor.  It's whatever stock they use for their builds.
Barrel: Faxon 14.5" pencil w/pinned fluted flash suppressor from RTB
HG:  AP 12" Atlas S-One
BCG:  Toolcraft with nitride coating from RTB
Gas system:  low profile .625 block and nitrided tube from RTB
Charging Handle:  Raptor Radian LT from RTB
Sight:  Holosun green dot

Haven't shot it yet, but am very pleased with the look and feel of the rifle.  I really like the low weight and slim profile of the barrel, and I can't say enough good things about the TC BCG - beautiful machining and finish.  I did check the extractor and it is not MIM.  Really looking forward to taking it to the range.

A pic of the two builds I've assembled so far:

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Turned out nice, some fancy stereo gear ya got there too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice job!

also, what is that round thing in the back ground? looks like a pizza warmer :D j/k
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice job!

also, what is that round thing in the back ground? looks like a pizza warmer :D j/k
Thanks!  Yeah, I don't use the "pizza warmer" very often but it does remind me of other days.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top