Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2021 12:12:12 PM EDT
I just completed my second build and bought a full upper without the BCG and Charging handle.  I purchased a BCG and charging handle from Right to bear .com.  After assembling and attempting to shoot, it did not fire.  I then switched out my BCG from my MP15 Bushmaster and it works fine.  I tried the new BCG in the MP15 and again, did not fire.  Obviously its the BCG that is malfunctioning.  I need assistance with troubleshooting the BCG.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it missing a firing pin? Did the unfired rounds have a dimple?

How to Assemble an AR-15 Bolt Carrier Group Presented by Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
^ ^ ^ What he said. Inspect the primer and confirm you have a firing pin.

Not 100% sure, but is it possible that the hammer spring is not installed quite right causing light primer strikes?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Step 1 - disassemble BCG, inspect it all, fix as needed, assemble with oil.

Is the bolt actually locking into the extension?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it missing a firing pin? Did the unfired rounds have a dimple?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBd8o3JBpVo
View Quote
This is where I would start.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like firing pin protrusion issue, either a short pin, out of spec hole, or the protruding portion of the pin is too fat. The pin is the easiest part to measure with a caliper. The protrusion itself a little bit tougher to measure accurately without the right gauge. That's where I would start looking though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a firing pin in it or OP would be asking why his BCG was stuck.  The cam pin can turn wrong without it and jam things up.  

Odds are the bolt isn't going into battery.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is a firing pin in it or OP would be asking why his BCG was stuck.  The cam pin can turn wrong without it and jam things up.  

Odds are the bolt isn't going into battery.
View Quote

Easy enough to check. Pull the bolt from the carrier and see if it rotates in the barrel extension. Certainly could be headspace, though,  one would think the OP would have noticed. I suppose the bolt could also have a bur.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Cotter pin in wrong position related to firing pin?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Easy enough to check. Pull the bolt from the carrier and see if it rotates in the barrel extension. Certainly could be headspace, though,  one would think the OP would have noticed. I suppose the bolt could also have a bur.
View Quote

OP has to one post. Don’t assume he would catch a bolt not in battery.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top