Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2020 8:55:59 AM EDT
Hey everyone, so I’m putting together my new rifle build. This is the first firearm I’m going to own after a long battle with cancer in which I had to sell damn near everything of worth that I owned to fund my oncology treatment so I really wanted to go all out and build something I will love, built to my specs, and that will be my do-all rifle. I’ve already ordered 95% of the components after doing research on here and other places, but one thing I noticed after ordering my barrel was a lot of people giving negative feedback about Ballistic Advantage and now I’m wondering whether I should return it while I still can and get a criterion. So below is my build list and I’m just seeking opinions on if anyone thinks I should consider any changes or upgrades (due to the quality/reliability of the parts):

Hera Arms linear comp
BA QPQ Carbine Gas Tube
SB Tactical SBA3
Strike Industries Ultimate Dust Cover
Aero Precision M4E1 Threaded Receiver Set
BCM Mod 3 Grip
BA 14” 5.56 Hanson Barrel with pinned lopro
American Trigger Corp AR15 Gold Flat
SLR Premium Bolt Carrier TiN BCG
Midwest Industries SP Series 15” Rail in BLK
Radian Raptor SD CH in BLK
Radian Talon Ambi Safety in BLK
Kaw Valley Precision H2 Buffer Completion Kit
Aero Lower Parts Kit W/O FCG, Grip, etc.

Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't add, but I wish you the best and all the luck!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good to me hopefully your barrel shoot good for you they are all individual little snowflakes.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
> I’m wondering whether I should return it while I still can and get a criterion.
View Quote

My vote is yes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
lot of people giving negative feedback about Ballistic Advantage
View Quote

Where do you see that?  I haven't, at least not in this board.  I have 2 BA barrels and both shoot raggedy holes @ 100 meters with my handloads.  They guarantee 1 MOA with quality ammo and stand behind their product.  What more can you ask for?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a BA 10.3, shoots great. I'm unaware of any negativety surrounding BA.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive seen a few reviews on here   where people had problems with there BA barrels . BA always took care of them but if your already questioning the barrel youll prob never be satisfied with it so id say yeah swap out for a criterion.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where do you see that?  I haven't, at least not in this board.  I have 2 BA barrels and both shoot raggedy holes @ 100 meters with my handloads.  They guarantee 1 MOA with quality ammo and stand behind their product.  What more can you ask for?
View Quote

There are several threads here.  One guy went through like 3 barrels and was having multiple issues

I would go Criterion all day over BA, but BA isnt a bad option for a budget build.

I dont like strike industries and would get another dust cover

How much is that SLR BCG?  If over $150 i would probably go with another proven option like SOLGW, BCM, Sionics.  If you want a coated one the Sionics NP3 is awesome and uses OACKS screws and sprinco 5 coil spring

ETA.. I would not be paying $230 for that BCG. Regular milspec from good company or the Sioncs NP3.  I would go Cryptic Coatings if spending that much

I also think one of the builders kits from SOLGW or Sionics would be a better choice than Aero, but not to critical.  They both sell lower kits w/o trigger/grip and Primary Arms sells their stuff
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where do you see that?  I haven't, at least not in this board.  I have 2 BA barrels and both shoot raggedy holes @ 100 meters with my handloads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
lot of people giving negative feedback about Ballistic Advantage

Where do you see that?  I haven't, at least not in this board.  I have 2 BA barrels and both shoot raggedy holes @ 100 meters with my handloads.

Been several posts/threads here. Both on accuracy and issues with fucked up bbl threads preventing MD install.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Just curios if it's a rifle build with a 14" barrel with a pinned md, why are you going with an arm brace?  Just wondering as I'd rather have stock, especially if it's rifle length anyway.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The Strike Industries Dust Cover wont work with the M4E1 upper.  It says in the item description on thier site.  I was thinking of using one myself and a bit bummed when i found that out.  might be worth asking Strike why it dont work.  my feeling is something to do with the lenght of the pins
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Strike Industries Dust Cover wont work with the M4E1 upper.  It says in the item description on thier site.  I was thinking of using one myself and a bit bummed when i found that out.  might be worth asking Strike why it dont work.  my feeling is something to do with the lenght of the pins
View Quote

thank you for this bit of info! glad i was able to cancel an order before shipment and get my cash back.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just curios if it's a rifle build with a 14" barrel with a pinned md, why are you going with an arm brace?  Just wondering as I'd rather have stock, especially if it's rifle length anyway.
View Quote

im not wanting to pin and weld the HERA USA linear comp because I plan on suppressing it in the near future. once I get my YHM Turbo suppressor, im planning on pin and welding the flash hider that comes with it and replacing the SBA3 at that time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's building a long barreled pistol, temporary.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There are several threads here.  One guy went through like 3 barrels and was having multiple issues

I would go Criterion all day over BA, but BA isnt a bad option for a budget build.

I dont like strike industries and would get another dust cover

How much is that SLR BCG?  If over $150 i would probably go with another proven option like SOLGW, BCM, Sionics.  If you want a coated one the Sionics NP3 is awesome and uses OACKS screws and sprinco 5 coil spring

ETA.. I would not be paying $230 for that BCG. Regular milspec from good company or the Sioncs NP3.  I would go Cryptic Coatings if spending that much

I also think one of the builders kits from SOLGW or Sionics would be a better choice than Aero, but not to critical.  They both sell lower kits w/o trigger/grip and Primary Arms sells their stuff
View Quote

advice taken. returning the BA and getting a Criterion. also, the SLR BCG is my personal choice. a buddy of mine had one and the fit and finish is gorgeous. the TiN is slick as butter and they're extremely well made and have an enhanced profile. it also matches my AR gold trigger (lol). also canceled the order with the dust cover based on this and another posters advice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ this. Criterion is an offshoot of Krieger.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't add, but I wish you the best and all the luck!
View Quote

thanks brother. i appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He's building a long barreled pistol, temporary.
View Quote

yessir.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]
also lol...anyone know of a retailer that has criterion in stock? lmao. preferably the 13.9 CORE series...
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just order mine from Criterion.
View Quote

yea theyre backordered right now. i sent them an email to get an estimate on how long before my order would ship if i bought from them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for returning the BA barrel and going criterion.

Late last year, I bought a premium fluted 308 barrel with horrible fluting. They refused to warranty it until I wrote the store I bought it from.

I should have returned it then and there but I tried to give them a chance. They had the barrel in stock and aside from setting one aside from me, they had a sale and sold all of em. I wait 4 weeks for another replacement and the second on I get the gas port is cocked from the barrel index pin.

This entire time BA refused to take any sort of responsibility. The place I bought from (arm or ally), was also a pain in the ass and basically tried to dump me off with BA.

Bought a criterion and am very impressed. My second criterion barrel will be here Thursday. Its replacing a BA.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#22]
In answer to "Tacticaloreo", I, too have just finished my battle with the "big C" (Metastatic melanoma, stage 3), and I thank our Lord and the Cheyenne VA for getting me through this successfully!  I, as well, had to sell pretty much all my firearms, including my beloved DPMS AR-15, but we got through it, and now I have put together another AR from Palmetto State Armory.  The thing is, I would like to convert it to 6.5 Grendel, and I don't know how extensive this operation would be.  Could any one assist me in describing the process, and possible expenses involved.  Thanking you folks in advance, and wishing God's blessings on you and yours - Dave Berry, Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In answer to "Tacticaloreo", I, too have just finished my battle with the "big C" (Metastatic melanoma, stage 3), and I thank our Lord and the Cheyenne VA for getting me through this successfully!  I, as well, had to sell pretty much all my firearms, including my beloved DPMS AR-15, but we got through it, and now I have put together another AR from Palmetto State Armory.  The thing is, I would like to convert it to 6.5 Grendel, and I don't know how extensive this operation would be.  Could any one assist me in describing the process, and possible expenses involved.  Thanking you folks in advance, and wishing God's blessings on you and yours - Dave Berry, Cheyenne, Wyoming.
View Quote

Dave, my brother, I’m so happy you won your battle and are recovering and things are getting back to normal. I personally don’t know anything about 6.5 Grendel but there’s a wealth of information and awesome people on this forum that can help you out. Godspeed brother.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Another vote for returning the BA barrel and going criterion.

Late last year, I bought a premium fluted 308 barrel with horrible fluting. They refused to warranty it until I wrote the store I bought it from.

I should have returned it then and there but I tried to give them a chance. They had the barrel in stock and aside from setting one aside from me, they had a sale and sold all of em. I wait 4 weeks for another replacement and the second on I get the gas port is cocked from the barrel index pin.

This entire time BA refused to take any sort of responsibility. The place I bought from (arm or ally), was also a pain in the ass and basically tried to dump me off with BA.

Bought a criterion and am very impressed. My second criterion barrel will be here Thursday. Its replacing a BA.
View Quote

Literally just left the post office and sent the BA barrel to the place I bought it from after initiating an RMA. Excited to get my hands on a Criterion.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here's a link to a archived thread hope it helps and glad to here you guys are healthy again.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/What-caliber-should-I-convert-my-AR-15-to-/121-733038/
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Here's a link to a archived thread hope it helps and glad to here you guys are healthy again.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/What-caliber-should-I-convert-my-AR-15-to-/121-733038/
View Quote

thanks man.

also, placing my order with criterion. already spoke with michael over there and he answered all my questions and seems INCREDIBLY knowledgeable. happy i decided to switch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Grendel is a great round for the AR15 I’ve had mine for 4 years now. I highly recommend the Elander steel mags.

LRRPF52 has a lot of great posts on the cartridge
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Just wanted to provide an updated build list for everyone that commented and helped:

Aero Precision M4E1 Threaded Receiver Set
Midwest Industries SP Series 15” Rail in BLK
Criterion Barrels CORE Series 13.9 barrel in .223 Wylde (Mid-Length Gas)
Badger Ordnance Gas Manifold
Aero Precision Mid Length Stainless Steel Gas Tube
HERA USA .223/5.56 Linear Compensator
SB Tactical SBA3
BCM Mod 3 Grip
American Trigger Corp AR15 Gold Flat Trigger
SLR Premium Bolt Carrier TiN BCG
Radian Raptor SD CH in BLK
Radian Talon Ambi Safety in BLK
Odin Works XMR (Extended Magazine release in BLK)
Phase 5 Weapon Systems V3 Extended Bolt Catch
Kaw Valley Precision H3 Buffer Completion Kit
Aero Lower Parts Kit W/O FCG, Grip, etc.

I have an Elcan Specter DR1-4X thats going on top with a Larue tactical picatinny riser. Also have a Streamlight HLX and I'm currently waiting on a Zenitco Perst-4 IR device that is going on this rifle as well. Just waiting on 2 parts and then its off to my local armory to be built. I'm super excited :D
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top