Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2018 9:47:52 PM EDT
A friend finally got to shoot his new rifle today. While boresighting, I noticed a bunch of crud. He had not cleaned it.

I ran a few oil and dry patches through til the black/tan faded.

After 10 shots I ran a brush and patches with Hoppe's #9 through. They came out rather dark, but almost seemed to have a blue tint. Not turquoise or green, blue.

Is this just some remnants of the nitride process mixed with copper fouling? Normal?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The blue is a reaction from the ammonia in the solvent. Could be copper fouling from the bullet, or could be a false positive if your bore brush or jag is made of brass.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The blue is a reaction from the ammonia in the solvent. Could be copper fouling from the bullet, or could be a false positive if your bore brush or jag is made of brass.
View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Reworded: Has anyone else had dark blue patches when cleaning a new nitrided barrel?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you clean the bore before you shot it? Could be residual oil in conjunction with the copper.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope you cleaned that barrel before shooting it if it wasnt a factory barrel. Nitriding leaves a lot of fouling in the bore due to the process. You really gotta scrub that stuff out.

The blue may be i mixture of copper and the nitride residue coming out of the bore. My nitrided barrels copper fairly badly until they fire polish, and then i get very little copper fouling in the bore.

Scrub it with a stainless brush and foaming cleaner until all that black crud comes out. Stainless wont hurt a nitride bore as long as you use it just enough to get the fouling out.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top