BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, they didn’t last long but RTB got some 16” lightweight complete uppers back in stock yesterday for $420.
I almost passed on it but last time BCA had their .22lr upper in stock it jumped from $288 to $388.
I was actually close to ordering a S&W MP15-22 for the same $$$ so this was good timing anyways.
That does include a mag but from RTB they’re $18.
Wanted the pencil profile anyways over the heavy barrel BCA. I’ve had a BCA upper in centerfire for a while, no complaints, but RTB does have more experience with rimfire.

I’m finding with ammo prices where they are, my rimfires are coming to the range a lot more over the past year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I was close to buying a BCA 22lr upper yesterday - but selected not to due to the inability to run a light weight barrel from Taccom.  After seeming the photos of the internals it my run the Taccom M&P15-22 light weight barrels but still unknown. Will hold off and my CMMG runs great Having the free floating ejector as a M&P15-22 is a question.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The Nordic pattern bolt has an ejector which is attached to the barrel by a roll pin and doesn’t move.   A similar design is used on 1911 22 LR conversion kits like Ciener and Advantage Arms.   The fixed ejector on the CMMG/Ciener/Atchisson pattern AR-15 22 LR bolt is part of the bolt guide rail.   Both systems work but on designs with the ejector attached to the barrel makes it a little tighter to clean the chamber and barrel.

Here is a schematic of the Nordic upper.  You can see the ejector mounts to a relief area in the barrel on the non ejection port side.  I suspect BCA uses the same principal for attaching the ejector to the barrel.  The BCA 22 LR bolt looks very similar to the Nordic but the BCA uses the side charging handle.   Cz used to import the V-22 dedicated 22 upper which used a side charging handle, bull barrel, round free float hand guard and unthreaded muzzle.   A lot of customers preferred the traditional top charging handle of the AR-15’s in 22 LR to replicate training on the same pattern charging handle.  Side charging AR-15’s are more common today so BCA might prove to be popular with the side charger.

Here is a picture of the Cz V22 dedicated 22 LR upper.

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Just ordered one for $299.99 with free shipping.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
So that means there are no lightweight barrel options for the BCA system.  Love the side charge but to much barrel weight for my SC guns - dang!  Would be cool if they offered a lefts side charge handle.  The new 9mm looks cool with left side charging handle but it only comes as a complete upper.  The handguard and 9mm barrel are to heavy also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got in on a drop, have some on the way. They are now including a 10rd mag instead of a 25 - 25rd mags are available separately.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I just showed this to a friend of mine, and he pointed me to a gunbroker ad for a Walther-Hammerli complete rifle that comes in at $375... I took a quick look for reviews and it does have all aluminum construction, but it's not a milspec lower and does not share trigger components. Apparently the trigger pull is like 8.5lbs. Anyone know anything else about these Hammerlis? Maybe a separate thread would be better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just showed this to a friend of mine, and he pointed me to a gunbroker ad for a Walther-Hammerli complete rifle that comes in at $375... I took a quick look for reviews and it does have all aluminum construction, but it's not a milspec lower and does not share trigger components. Apparently the trigger pull is like 8.5lbs. Anyone know anything else about these Hammerlis? Maybe a separate thread would be better.
View Quote

You might already know all of this answer; it isn't meant to condescend.

There is a class of look alike rimfires that are cosmetically like ARs or HKs other centerfire rifles, but are functionally rimfire rifles mechanically inferior to a $200 10/22.

The draw of something like the BCA is that it's actually an AR with a different bolt, barrel and magazine.  That has advantages in durability and aftermarket part compatibility.

FWIW, I think some of those cosmetic/Umarex rifles have interesting magazines.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is a class of look alike rimfires that are cosmetically like ARs or HKs other centerfire rifles, but are functionally rimfire rifles mechanically inferior to a $200 10/22.

The draw of something like the BCA is that it's actually an AR with a different bolt, barrel and magazine.  That has advantages in durability and aftermarket part compatibility.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense taken. That is certainly the draw for me - the main thing being able to drop it on a lower that has my favorite trigger/safety etc in it. I don't know much about the "class of look-alikes", I never got interested enough to do the homework on them. I have 3 10/22s, 1 stock (kinda), 1 mild and 1 wild with no Ruger parts left in it, high power scope etc. Older Marlin semi. Cz bolt, Marlin bolt, Stevens bolt. Have a few 22 pistols as well. For some reason I still like the idea of this BCA upper. I have fondled the M&P 15-22's but did not like the composite construction and non-standard lower design. The BCA ticks this box at a decent price, and without having to use an adapter and inappropriate twist rate in a 223/556 barrel arrangement.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Received today. I opened the box, loaded the mag, pinned the upper to a random lower, inserted the mag, and ripped off 10 rounds of CCI Blazer without issue. This is gonna be fun!
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm waiting on a delivery of Loctite 620. When it comes in I'm going to break this upper down for a reset, as I like to call it. I'll take pics of all the individual parts to post here. I will break it down and clean all the parts, then true the receiver and target crown the muzzle in the lathe, polish the feed ramp, then reassemble with the Loctite, aeroshell grease, and mount an optic. Then take it out and shoot it back to back with a bone stock out of the box upper. I got 6 uppers so I'll pick one at random for the back to back test.

I am out of high end 22 ammo, so I'll be using CCI Blazer, Fed AutoMatch, and maybe some M22.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm waiting on a delivery of Loctite 620. When it comes in I'm going to break this upper down for a reset, as I like to call it. I'll take pics of all the individual parts to post here. I will break it down and clean all the parts, then true the receiver and target crown the muzzle in the lathe, polish the feed ramp, then reassemble with the Loctite, aeroshell grease, and mount an optic. Then take it out and shoot it back to back with a bone stock out of the box upper. I got 6 uppers so I'll pick one at random for the back to back test.

I am out of high end 22 ammo, so I'll be using CCI Blazer, Fed AutoMatch, and maybe some M22.
View Quote

I look forward to the additional photos and review.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I look forward to the additional photos and review.
View Quote

I'll have pics up later tonight, shooting later in the week.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If anyone gets one and wants to try a free bolt catch, can you drop me a PM? I'm curious if it'll still work with the Catch22 bolt catch even though it's a bit of a departure from the classic Ceiner/CMMG design.
View Quote

Sending you a PM, in case you're still interested.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Took mine to the range this week and shot 200 rounds of Federal and some Blazer. Had various FTE with it (less than 10%).  So I Buzzed the chamber and still need to polish the feed ramp. Federal has been very weak in my Glock 44 and FTE in that.

Installed the Catch-22 and it works perfectly to hold the bolt.  I don't have any 15-22 magazines to test it but it works manually engaging.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
My Loctite showed up this morning so I knocked out 4 of the 6.

All 4 barrel nuts were very tight. 1 was almost dry, only a tiny bit of grease. The other 3 had a decent amount of red grease.

3 barrels had a bit of wiggle in the receivers when fully seated, 1 was snug near the end of the fit(almost seated)

I'll start with some pics of the ejector since it was asked about earlier. I believe these are laser or plasma cut as the edges are a bit rough, and less uniform than you'd see from a punched part. The ejector is held in place by 2 roll pins, in a groove cut in the barrel. An edm'd tool steel part would be a nice upgrade.

Keep the ejector oiled. As you can see, there is a tiny bit of rust forming on it.

Here is the bolt broken down. The firing pin appears to be nitrided, which is a nice touch. I had planned to polish the charging rod, but the finish was already quite smooth so I'll save that for after I fire a few hundred rounds and reassess. I did also check to see if some of my spare Kidd 10/22 recoil springs would fit, they did not. The BCA spring is a larger diameter, the Kidd springs did not fit onto the rod.

The machining is decent, no offensively rough areas.

Take note of the ding near 12 o'clock on the receiver face...

I was a bit impressed with how flat the face was. The last Aero receiver I trued was out by .0025". I cleaned this BCA face up with 2 passes totalling less than .001". Note the ding is still present!

Shined up the feed ramp

I noted the bolt rubbing on the outside of the ejector. I cleaned up the rough edge of the ejector to help the bolt slide smoothly along it.

Before reassembly I also cut an 11° target crown on the muzzle.

Hope to get out and put some rounds on paper later this week.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Installed the Catch-22 and it works perfectly to hold the bolt.  I don't have any 15-22 magazines to test it but it works manually engaging.
View Quote

Good to know.

At $299, it's barely more than a CMMG bolt and barrel.  The bolt appears to be adaptable for use with an AR charge handle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The bolt appears to be adaptable for use with an AR charge handle.
View Quote

Maybe, if you also change the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know what BCA is.  I question buying anything made by them with their track record however.
View Quote

I have a 300 blackout and a 5.56, both side chargers, along with a 308 barrel. No issues.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Maybe, if you also change the upper receiver.
View Quote

Exactly. If BCA were to grossly undercut CMMG for a barrel and bolt package, it would need to be compatible with ordinary AR receivers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Exactly. If BCA were to grossly undercut CMMG for a barrel and bolt package, it would need to be compatible with ordinary AR receivers.
View Quote

You don't think they already have? It's a complete upper and mag that works, out of the box, delivered 3 days after ordering, for 300 bux...

I honestly don't see them selling barrel + bolt combos separately in the foreseeable future. Maybe some time next year? As long as their completes are selling like hotcakes, they have no reason to. Based on their current pricing structure, the complete upper will still be a better value than buying barrel and bolt separately.

Imo, it's still a good training tool as you can use your lower controls. If you want to practice malfunction and reloading drills you can still do that with snap caps/dummy rounds. More than that though, it's a cheap fun gun. It charges the same as a 10/22, so one could also consider it a stepping stone for getting younger kids into the AR platform.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You don't think they already have? It's a complete upper and mag that works, out of the box, delivered 3 days after ordering, for 300 bux...
View Quote

As you note, BCA doesn't yet offer a barrel and bolt package.  There is a market that will not want a side charging arrangement or BCA's choice of receiver and handguard.  Also note that CMMG/RTB barrels are nitrocarburized rather than parkerized.

An RTB barrel and bolt package looks to be $250 to $300 depending on sales.  If BCA can sell an entire upper for $300, they might be able to get to around $200 for just a bolt and barrel.  If it turns out to be reliable, durable and accurate, BCA may be able to persist as a competitor where others have failed.

I'm a CMMG/RTB pattern fan, but more competition makes the market better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I just pulled a bolt from one of the BCA uppers and dropped it in a Noreen stripped forged milspec upper along with a Larue charging handle. It fits.

I can do a mockup in this upper with a barrel later this week when my other 2 uppers arrive. The other 4 barrels are already Loctite'd into their uppers.

You're still going to have to live without the last round hold open, unless you maybe get M&P15 mags to work with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just pulled a bolt from one of the BCA uppers and dropped it in a Noreen stripped forged milspec upper along with a Larue charging handle. It fits.

I can do a mockup in this upper with a barrel later this week when my other 2 uppers arrive. The other 4 barrels are already Loctite'd into their uppers.

You're still going to have to live without the last round hold open, unless you maybe get M&P15 mags to work with it.
View Quote

https://arcatch22.com/products/catch22-v1-bolt-catch

I've used the V1 with CMMG BCGs and recommend it.  I have no experience with the V2.

Using a 15-22 magazine will require a shim or spacer being glued to the front of the magazine.  Zipties, the large ones, from Harbor Freight are the right depth.  ARCatch22 also sells shims.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've used the V1 with CMMG BCGs and recommend it.  I have no experience with the V2.

Using a 15-22 magazine will require a shim or spacer being glued to the front of the magazine.  Zipties, the large ones, from Harbor Freight are the right depth.  ARCatch22 also sells shims.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks but I'm sticking with the CMMG mags. They work perfect, and I don't care about having the LRBHO on these.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#26]
At $299, it's barely more than a CMMG bolt and barrel.  The bolt appears to be adaptable for use with an AR charge handle.
View Quote

I don't know Zuk...Looks pretty good.  I really like that bolt and at $299 it just might scratch that "what if" itch.  

Great pictures BTW!  Thank you
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Indeed.

Quoted:
I don't know Zuk...Looks pretty good.  I really like that bolt and at $299 it just might scratch that "what if" itch.  

I'm in the midst of another project, but it won't keep me from following Sebspeed's function and accuracy report.

Is it weird that we learn more about some products from buyers in threads than from the companies themselves?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're welcome!

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#29]
The extractor on the BCA bolt appears to be held in place by a spring and detent.   Since the BCA bolt is very similar to the Nordic I wonder if the extractor is the same as a Ruger 10/22 extractor, spring and deyent.   If you experience an out of battery the extractor, spring & detent are usually dislodged and lost.

It would be a good idea to keep a spare extractor, spring and detent.  I like the looks of the firing pin and I like they used a cotter pin for retention.   It’d be nice to have at least one spare firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The extractor on the BCA bolt appears to be held in place by a spring and detent.   Since the BCA bolt is very similar to the Nordic I wonder if the extractor is the same as a Ruger 10/22 extractor, spring and deyent.   If you experience an out of battery the extractor, spring & detent are usually dislodged and lost.

It would be a good idea to keep a spare extractor, spring and detent.  I like the looks of the firing pin and I like they used a cotter pin for retention.   It’d be nice to have at least one spare firing pin.
View Quote

If I have time, I'll pull an extractor from the next batch and post pics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:57:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the photos of the BCA.  Now I know why they said it won't work in F/A receivers. Interesting design.

I ordered a CMMG 22LR 9" upper that was in stock to try out. I think I have to order the F/A trip for their bolt design.. but won't know until I receive it.

I was thinking of getting the Better-Mag from Redi-Mag (https://www.redi-mag.com/product/better-mag-s-22-rimfire-magazine-adaptor/)
I already have a M&P15-22 so I have the magazines for it. Looks like it will trip the bolt hold as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I ordered a CMMG 22LR 9" upper that was in stock to try out. I think I have to order the F/A trip for their bolt design.. but won't know until I receive it.

View Quote

If you are looking for F/A then yes you will need the sear trip and anti bounce weight. I just don’t get why new products come out with auto support.   Market may be small but all would buy.  

It looks like the bottom of the moving portion has a shelf to add a sear trip. 6th pic in the disassembly
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It looks like the bottom of the moving portion has a shelf to add a sear trip. 6th pic in the disassembly
View Quote

I don't think that part moves, only the front part, hence it will never trip.

I had contacted BCA and they told me semi will be the only configuration they plan to do. Possibly it could be modified, but it would take some real work which really isn't worth it for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a few minutes today to strip another 22 upper and install the barrel and bolt in the milspec upper with a standard charging handle, it all fit. I have pics I'll post later tonight.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#35]

So, if you're ok with seeing the barrel stub through the too-large ejection port, converting this BCA to top charge would be as simple as buying an extra upper and charging handle.

I prefer the side charge, but it is an option.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Got to the range for a quick sight in session with a buddy, mainly helping him set up and had limited daylight to get mine done. I sighted in a Prostaff 3-9x40 at 25yds with an eyeball down the bore and 6 rounds of CCI Blazer. Then shot the 10rd group to the left and put another 80 or so rounds on steel at 100 and 200yds.

Need to get myself a CMC for this lower, and a scope with AO for the closer work.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Any reason your swapping uppers, or just testing for fun?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Any reason your swapping uppers, or just testing for fun?
View Quote

Testing, because someone above asked about it. I like the side charge and I wouldn't go through the expense of swapping myself. But, maybe someone else would like to, and now we know that they can.

ETA... I did not fit an ejection port door during the test... test for yourself if you go that route.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Placed an order for an upper.
Primarily due to Sebspeeds review.

So, if I have any issues with it, I blame you Sebspeed
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Got mine today and fired 10 rds no problem,  299 free shipping and still available.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Right to bear has cmmg mags for 15.50.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Put a scope on and ran a couple mags thru it. Fed auto match had a few hang ups, rem thunderbolts ran great.  Anyone get a manual with theirs? Have to figure out how to take it apart for cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Put a scope on and ran a couple mags thru it. Fed auto match had a few hang ups, rem thunderbolts ran great.  Anyone get a manual with theirs? Have to figure out how to take it apart for cleaning.
View Quote

They don't give out manuals. Disassembly is super simple. Pull the upper, then the screw that is in place of the rear charging handle, then remove the charging handle with a 5/32 allen key. You can then slide the bolt out the back and begin cleaning.

BCA posted a breakdown video on youtube if you need a visual guide.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks,  curious to see how yours shoots after you rebuild it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 4:53:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks,  curious to see how yours shoots after you rebuild it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Got 3 cmmg 25 rd mags from right to bear and loaded the up with thunderbolts. Rifle ran,flawless.  Had it on a lower with a milspec trigger and put a burris 2x7  on it zeroed at 50 yds. Groups were in the 2 to,3 inch range. Going to try a higher power scope, better trigger and a bipod and see what it can do. The bolt stays open when the last round is fired. Grandson is going to love this upper! Also found a YouTube video  on converting the 1prd mag to 25 rds.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Still need to get mine out with the good scope to shoot some groups.

Just saw they released a new version with updated handguard PLUS a 10.5" version @$269.99 today!
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Where exactly did you see the 10.5” BCA 22 upper??
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Where exactly did you see the 10.5” BCA 22 upper??
View Quote

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/calibers/ar-22/ar-22-complete-uppers.html

Shows out of stock now... they don't last long but they come back with more every few days. Sign up for the back in stock notice and buy as soon as you get the email.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Going to try a higher power scope, better trigger and a bipod and see what it can do.
View Quote

Won't hurt, but trying different ammo might help better.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top