BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/4/2021 2:09:48 AM EDT
NEW Bear Creek Arsenal .22 LR AR-15 Upper (AR-22)

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/22-long-16-parkerized-barrel-1-16-twist-15-mlok-scg2.html

Yah, I know, cue the BCA haters.

But what I really want to know is how similar their internals are to the CMMG system and whether the barrel/collar system they are using has the same dimensions.  Might also be easier to add mass and anti-bounce sliding weights to the bolt.  I'm wondering if my custom long length and fast twist barrels made to fit the CMMG collar will swap in or not.  Wondering if their extractor design might be better then CMMGs.  Just from looks, I think their bolt might be heavier to start with then CMMGs based on the video.

If anyone on this forum managed to score one of these before the first batch sold out in hours could you please post us some pics and dimensions and their bolt weight on their internals when it gets delivered.

Pretty Please !!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like this a very new product and may not have shipped.  The magazine appears to be a Black Dog Machine with bolt hold open follower.   I think the bolt will be proprietary since it has the side charging handle and uses their standard side charger upper.   I feel sure someone like 22 plinkster will be sent one to review.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/22-long-16-parkerized-barrel-1-16-twist-15-mlok-scg2.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
From my understanding they had some "In-Stock" that went live on their website ready for order at the same time the video went public on YouTube and Instagram.  First commenters in the first couple hours were making comments about having made purchases.

I got to it 9-hours after video posted and they were sold out by then and from the comments looks like they had been sold since the 8-hr mark if not before.

So I'm hoping somebody on this forum was one of the ones who bought one and can give details when it shows up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I would buy one of those..........
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice to have another option. I love my 9" RTB upper but they haven't had any in-stock since I bought mine new years day 2020.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But what I really want to know is how similar their internals are to the CMMG system and whether the barrel/collar system they are using has the same dimensions.  Might also be easier to add mass and anti-bounce sliding weights to the bolt.  I'm wondering if my custom long length and fast twist barrels made to fit the CMMG collar will swap in or not.  Wondering if their extractor design might be better then CMMGs.  Just from looks, I think their bolt might be heavier to start with then CMMGs based on the video.
View Quote

It doesn't look to me to be CMMG barrel compatible, but I'm not sure what the receiver forward of the ejection port hides.  It's great that it appears to use CMMG/BDM pattern magazine.  If that means it will take S&W magazines and bolt catch adaptations, that's a plus.

On the down side, the bolt handle appears to be bolted onto the bolt.

I'll be happy to have others beta test this.  2A Armament's system went straight from being unobtanium to steeply discounted at Optics Planet and discontinued.  If you never got the chance to buy one, you may be grateful.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
BCA?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BCA?
View Quote

Bear Creek Arsenal.

There's a link right under the video.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Subscribed to in-stock notices.  We'll see if I can snag one to tear down and look at.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bear Creek Arsenal.

View Quote

I know what BCA is.  I question buying anything made by them with their track record however.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know what BCA is.  I question buying anything made by them with their track record however.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bear Creek Arsenal.

I have 3 of their side charger uppers, no issues. No barrels though, so I can't comment on those. One of the side charger lives on my bumpsaw/FRT15 gun and has seen a few k rounds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Appears to be very similar to the JARD J22, which has been around for a long time:
https://jardinc.com/jard-j22-22-lr

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't take long to be out of stock? Inventory must have been small?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Bounce bounce looks bad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bolt bounce looks bad.
View Quote

Seems to be bad on every .22LR upper made, until they're modified to some extent or another.

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Put myself on the wait list. I finally got my BCA 20" heavy barrel upper to the range & no issues with it. Very accurate too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bounce bounce looks bad.
View Quote

I slowed the video down to 2-frames per second and compared it side by side with several comparable videos of standard CMMG without bore-buddy weight and the stock CMMG honestly looks worse then the BCA for bolt bounce.  Although when I similarly compared to videos of Ruger-10/22 it seems the BCA still has worse bounce then 10/22 (which does bolt bounce as well by the way).
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Would buy.
I have a 20” BCA stainless upper in 6.5G and it’s an excellent shooter.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw a comment from BCA on FB that said the first batch was only 50 uppers. I am on the "waiting for back in stock" list as well...
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I saw a comment from BCA on FB that said the first batch was only 50 uppers. I am on the "waiting for back in stock" list as well...
View Quote

They didn't mention when the next batch may come in?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I received an email from BCA saying they are back in stock. Said 9 of them. I guess 8 now since I bought one.

Now I am wondering if we have any aftermarket charging handles that we could use on this die charger or if we are stuck with what it comes with from BCA?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I received an email from BCA saying they are back in stock. Said 9 of them. I guess 8 now since I bought one.

Now I am wondering if we have any aftermarket charging handles that we could use on this die charger or if we are stuck with what it comes with from BCA?
View Quote

I got the same email but by the time I checked me email and clicked the link they were all sold out again.  

Please post the rest of us some in hands detailed info when yours arrives, Pretty Please!
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks nice.
I wonder if this can go on to a RR for some selector switch fun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Dang!  They got another batch done and have them back in stock but they jacked the price on them something serious.  Initially first two batches we're $289 now list at $399 !!!

Dang !!!

Edited to Add = Dang! Just checked again and they sold out again even with the price jack up!  I hesitated because of the price increase, apparently others didn't!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd like to see the upper disassembled.  I've looked for videos from the ususal suspects like Plinkster22 and found nothing.  I have found a video (Focus Tripp) on Bear Creek Gen II uppers in 5.56 that appear to use the same charge handle screwed into the bolt.

If it is the same, you will need to break the thread locker and remove the charge handle to remove the bolt for cleaning.

Easy break down and cleaning are a large advantage AR15s have over 10/22s.  It would be a shame to give that up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd like to see the upper disassembled.  I've looked for videos from the ususal suspects like Plinkster22 and found nothing.  I have found a video (Focus Tripp) on Bear Creek Gen II uppers in 5.56 that appear to use the same charge handle screwed into the bolt.

If it is the same, you will need to break the thread locker and remove the charge handle to remove the bolt for cleaning.

Easy break down and cleaning are a large advantage AR15s have over 10/22s.  It would be a shame to give that up.
View Quote

Received mine yesterday. Yes, you do have to remove the charging handle to remove the bolt for cleaning. However, it takes less than a minute. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I removed the bolt from mine as I have a Bore Buddy weight on order. May or may not try to remove the handguard. Depends on what Duracoat job I decide to do one this one. Will be a while before I shoot it as I still need to build a lower and order the Duracoat. However, I already installed a KAK flash can on it b/c I can.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Received mine yesterday. Yes, you do have to remove the charging handle to remove the bolt for cleaning. However, it takes less than a minute. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I removed the bolt from mine as I have a Bore Buddy weight on order. May or may not try to remove the handguard. Depends on what Duracoat job I decide to do one this one. Will be a while before I shoot it as I still need to build a lower and order the Duracoat. However, I already installed a KAK flash can on it b/c I can.
View Quote

If you get time there are several forum members who would like to see pictures of the bolt and upper.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Took some photos for you guys
https://imgur.com/a/KFcjgI3
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

How are you going to attach the Bore Buddy weight to that bolt?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for posting very good pictures of your BCA.  It looks good and the bolt design is very similar to the Nordic except for the side charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Got an email today and they look like they are back in stock for those interested.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Any wagers on how long they (BCA) will try to hold the pricing at $399.99?

I thought it was a good deal at $289.99 but for 400 I'm out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah $399?

Mic Drop Kick.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah $399?

Mic Drop Kick.
View Quote

Just for comparison:

CMMG dedicated BCG and collar: $180
CMMG barrel, if you could find one: $150
Upper receiver: $60?
CH: $15?
Handguard: $50
Muzzle device/thread protector: $5

$460

If the Bear Creek presence in the market means more spare parts for Rock River, JPE, Nordic systems, it's still good news.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same............
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How are you going to attach the Bore Buddy weight to that bolt?
View Quote

It won't work? Well, that sucks. I'll return it then
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:It won't work? Well, that sucks. I'll return it then
View Quote

I didn't see how it could after observing the differences in the two systems, but you never know what someone else might come up with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Worth $150 more than Chiappa?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Worth $150 more than Chiappa?
View Quote

A few things might make it worth the extra cost to some. The Chiappa barrel is not threaded, the FF handguard on the BCA, and the side charger on the BCA. The BCA upper receiver is aluminum rather than polymer, also.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#40]
As spotty as BCA quality control has been I’d buy a BCA over the Chiappa 22 LR upper.   The Chiappa polymer upper is a no go, material used in bolt is of questionable quality/durability, sole source for replacement parts.    The non threaded Chiappa barrel  with fixed front sight tower which is not pinned with cheap hand guard, no thanks.   A person is way better off building their own with CMMG pattern parts or the BCA which use real AR-15 parts.

Another option get on email notification for PSA dedicated 22 LR upper.

RTB has the parts in stock to assemble an upper.

https://www.righttobear.com/22lr-parts-upgrades-accessories/
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:RTB has the parts in stock to assemble an upper.

https://www.righttobear.com/22lr-parts-upgrades-accessories/
View Quote

Sadly, damned few choices.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#42]
BCA dropped the price to $349.99. I'm used to their yo-yo pricing scheme, but this is a lil ridiculous. I'll buy when it hits $299 or lower.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Can anyone who has the setup show the BCG out of receiver? inquiring minds want to know?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Can anyone who has the setup show the BCG out of receiver? inquiring minds want to know?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Link from an earlier post.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Midway has it listed as AR-Stoner with the same part number for $399 shows available 10/10/2021

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024278431?pid=437057
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#47]
So it similar to the MP15-22 with ejector free hanging in space that can be bumped around. It does look much stronger than the MP.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Coupon code MCNEW10 for 10% off.  I just bought it for $314.99 shipped.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Coupon code MCNEW10 for 10% off.  I just bought it for $314.99 shipped.
View Quote

Which vendor? I se it's BCA, now pricing the upper at $349.95.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#50]
If anyone gets one and wants to try a free bolt catch, can you drop me a PM? I'm curious if it'll still work with the Catch22 bolt catch even though it's a bit of a departure from the classic Ceiner/CMMG design.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top