Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2022 1:13:39 PM EDT
I have a nice ADM UIC lower built how I like it and I'm looking for a 16" upper solution. I have always liked the idea of LMT's MRP platform, which I can get in a 13.25" w/16" barrel for $1200. My next option is an ADM complete upper w/BCG, CH and FH for the same price. Next up is an option I have no real info on other than the tremendous rep and excellent reviews and that is an upper from LWRC. LWRC offers a multitude of options in 16", so I am not even sure where to begin there.
   My goal is to have a decent mix of reliabilty and accuracy. I just ordered a SF SOCOM556 RC2 and plan on using this upper suppressed a fair amount so I imagine that will also help dictate which direction is best. I know these matters are subject to a lot of personal preference and unfortunately I do not have a lot of personal experience to fall back on, much less with any of the mentioned company's options. I really appreciate any and all input.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like the universe continues to push me towards LMT, so be it!
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I do recommend Titandefense when looking for LMT uppers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
@MK19

I have LMT and ADM in my collection and these are some fantastic rifles....You cannot get better than LMT.  The MRP platform has the flexibility of a goose neck lamp (yes I am aging myself) and you cannot go wrong.  BUT, I will add, the ADM hardware is well made and it to will serve you well

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LMT is hard to beat IMO/E…if you know where one is in stock, I would by it…otherwise the wait can be l-o-n-g.
(Not me/mine but I always use this as an example of LMT reliability):
Why I Like My LMT.
View Quote

My LMT is my go to! I have a DD that I really like a lot but I seem to always pack up the LMT for the range or training!
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The only real setback for LMT, IMO, is cost and availability of parts (esp. barrels). I think I am going to build an upper with either a DD lightweight barrel or a Criterion hybrid. But, it's tough with so many choices available.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd not give a dime to Daniel Defense.

You may be interested in the newer Colt rifles that come with Centurion or Geissele forends, and Magpul pros. But I'd be inclined to go for an LMT regardless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't hesitate to buy LMT or LWRC.

The ADM is probably fine but at the same price as some offerings from the above companies with a strong track record, why? FWIW, I looked at getting an ADM upper but decided against it due to the lack of pinned gas block. There are different opinions on whether or not that matters but it's something to consider when weighing the options. Most other "hard-use" rifles are going to pinned gas blocks.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy LMT or LWRC.

The ADM is probably fine but at the same price as some offerings from the above companies with a strong track record, why? FWIW, I looked at getting an ADM upper but decided against it due to the lack of pinned gas block. There are different opinions on whether or not that matters but it's something to consider when weighing the options. Most other "hard-use" rifles are going to pinned gas blocks.

View Quote

@10-8DoWork makes a good point, as I noted, my ADM rifle is very good, accurate and I did get a good price on it, it is the UIC Mod 1, I think I paid $1450 for it, but if you can get a good deal on the LMT, the LMT has the track record and is one of if not, the finest rifles being made today.  KAC quality or better.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My knee jerk reaction was to go LMT, but these days there is a lot of equipment out there that can be considered "duty" grade. I also wouldn't kill myself over the idea of a pinned gas block.  Really, the only truly pinned gas blocks I've seen are on pinned sight towers with solid pins. If by pinned, you mean  with a roll pin, that roll pin doesnt stop the block from twisting. If your firearm suffers a blow that over comes the set screws, the roll pin isnt going to save you.

Check the specs and get the biggest bang for your buck. I've never used ADM parts for a build, but they are using barrels made by criterion and criterion barrels are right up there with the big names in terms of accuracy and longevity. I don't know if the upper you're looking at will have a criterion barrel, but it's certainly worth consideration.

With the exception of my first AR, I've never bought a built anything. All of my stuff is home built using parts from trustworthy manufacturers. My main goto AR is built around a toolcraft bolt, ballistic advantage barrel and geissele trigger and has well over 10k rounds down the pipe. It sees at least 2k rounds a month and other than maintenence, I haven't had any problems. Mines never been to war, but it's seen weather, mud, sand, very high round count weekends running courses and drills. Point being that I actually use it.

My point is, stick with quality and you can't go wrong. Pick the one that you think looks the coolest.

Oh, I just built a replacement for the BA build and used a criterion barrel. The criterion put the BA to shame in terms of accuracy. The criterion actually shoots good with M193. I don't know what kind of voodoo they used, but it works.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My knee jerk reaction was to go LMT, but these days there is a lot of equipment out there that can be considered "duty" grade. I also wouldn't kill myself over the idea of a pinned gas block.  Really, the only truly pinned gas blocks I've seen are on pinned sight towers with solid pins. If by pinned, you mean  with a roll pin, that roll pin doesnt stop the block from twisting. If your firearm suffers a blow that over comes the set screws, the roll pin isnt going to save you.

Check the specs and get the biggest bang for your buck. I've never used ADM parts for a build, but they are using barrels made by criterion and criterion barrels are right up there with the big names in terms of accuracy and longevity. I don't know if the upper you're looking at will have a criterion barrel, but it's certainly worth consideration.

With the exception of my first AR, I've never bought a built anything. All of my stuff is home built using parts from trustworthy manufacturers. My main goto AR is built around a toolcraft bolt, ballistic advantage barrel and geissele trigger and has well over 10k rounds down the pipe. It sees at least 2k rounds a month and other than maintenence, I haven't had any problems. Mines never been to war, but it's seen weather, mud, sand, very high round count weekends running courses and drills. Point being that I actually use it.

My point is, stick with quality and you can't go wrong. Pick the one that you think looks the coolest.

Oh, I just built a replacement for the BA build and used a criterion barrel. The criterion put the BA to shame in terms of accuracy. The criterion actually shoots good with M193. I don't know what kind of voodoo they used, but it works.
View Quote

I'll admit that a properly installed lo pro gas block shouldn't move... Especially under a handguard. My duty gun doesn't have a pinned gas block but I did dimple, Rocksett, and correctly torque the set screws myself. It's definitely not necessary and there are still name brand companies that don't do it. But, buying a gun off the shelf, I do like the option. We have had a couple gas blocks migrate after set screws become loose.

Concur on the Criterion offerings. That's also the barrel I'm using and it is phenomenal. One of the things I've noticed with it, Is that it shoots well with a wide range of ammo. Even some of the cheaper surprises me. FYI it's one of the chrome-lined 1:8 .223 wylde barrels.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
LMT
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll admit that a properly installed lo pro gas block shouldn't move... Especially under a handguard. My duty gun doesn't have a pinned gas block but I did dimple, Rocksett, and correctly torque the set screws myself. It's definitely not necessary and there are still name brand companies that don't do it. But, buying a gun off the shelf, I do like the option. We have had a couple gas blocks migrate after set screws become loose.

Concur on the Criterion offerings. That's also the barrel I'm using and it is phenomenal. One of the things I've noticed with it, Is that it shoots well with a wide range of ammo. Even some of the cheaper surprises me. FYI it's one of the chrome-lined 1:8 .223 wylde barrels.
View Quote

I agree 100% and should have mentioned that. All of my gas blocks, whether "pinned" or not are dimpled and installed with a torque tool and high temp thread locker. Good gas blocks have set screws beefy enough to take around 20 in/lbs of torque. About what you'd use on scope rings.

As for the criterion barrel, I opted for a 12.5" hybrid profile. I see a suppressor in my future so I went with that instead of the Core profile. With that short of a barrel there isn't much more heft, although I can also see replacing my 11.3 BA with a Core profile.  The BA is likeky on its last leg. Its seen a LOT of rounds. The criterion barrel actually shocked me with how well it shot. I mean, the BA barrel is fine and it does what they say it'll do with match ammo, but the criterion does well with everything. Even wolf. At 50 yards, M193 prints one ragged hole. At 100, about 2 to 3 MOA, but I don't know if that's me or the gun and ammo. I'm only shooting a 6x razor.  Yeah, it had a relatively hefty price tag, but a chromelined, phosphate coated barrel just had no business shooting that well.

My next venture is going to be some flavor of adm barrel from criterion. They went with nitride instead of chrome lining on those and I'm really curious.

Honestly, for the premium the OP is gonna pay for the brand names he's throwing around, he could buy the tools to assemble his own upper. Even with the brand names, there are still unknowns. Was the upper trued? Was the barrel bedded, especially if the extension to upper fit was sloppy?

I know these last couple of things are considered "kool-aid" by some, but they can make a difference depending on the fit of the parts. This last build with the criterion barrel ... I used a Wilson combat upper receiver and the face was so far off from square that I could see it just using a square angle tool.

The extension to receiver fit was loose too. I didn't even have to heat the receiver to slide the barrel in and then where was wobble. I squared the face and bedded the extension. It shoots like a champ from a cold bore to being so hot you can't touch it and how it behaves when it's hot is where you'll see the difference in the detail of the assembly.

Point is, you just never know unless you did it yourself.

OK, I'm rambling. If I had to make a choice, LMT or LWRC as a knee jerk, but it seems that ADM could have something to offer that the others don't have. Seems to me, you can't go wrong. Pick the one you think is sexiest.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
They key is to just get a good name brand and go shoot it... A lot... Go train and learn about how these guns work. If there are some things that the manufacturer slacked on, you will discover them and learn how to fix them.

With the name brands like you listed (LMT, LWRC, ADM), you will be way less likely to have a catastrophic failure that you can't repair on your own.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
OK so I split the difference - I got a Criterion Core 13.9 w/FCD 13.7 handguard mated to an FDC URF-B receiver with a Sionics NP3 BCG and got an LMT 13.25 quad with a 16" barrel and a Enhance carrier w/ a JP enhanced bolt. Picked up an ACSS TA31 for the 13.9 and going to be using a RS24G on the LMT, but will probably change that to a VCOG or similar spec'd 1-6. Excited to see how well these 2 perform. Will report back. Thank you all for the feedback and input, it's really appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK so I split the difference - I got a Criterion Core 13.9 w/FCD 13.7 handguard mated to an FDC URF-B receiver with a Sionics NP3 BCG and got an LMT 13.25 quad with a 16" barrel and a Enhance carrier w/ a JP enhanced bolt. Picked up an ACSS TA31 for the 13.9 and going to be using a RS24G on the LMT, but will probably change that to a VCOG or similar spec'd 1-6. Excited to see how well these 2 perform. Will report back. Thank you all for the feedback and input, it's really appreciated!
View Quote

Where the heck did you find a 13.9 Core barrel? Please let me know. My credit card is burning a hole in my butt.

Its kind of funny. I was running my Criterion with a TA31. It shoots so accurately that I threw a Razor on top of it. At 100, I can shoot really SMALL things. Lol

My criterion really likes frontier 55gr hp and 55gr vmax for close stuff. Out to 200 yards, golf balls are fun. I use that ammo for playing. Its pretty inexpensive. I save the 77s for longer stuff.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Where the heck did you find a 13.9 Core barrel? Please let me know. My credit card is burning a hole in my butt.
View Quote

I got it from FCD. I haven't shot it yet, but it is exceptionally light! Definitely stoked.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I got it from FCD. I haven't shot it yet, but it is exceptionally light! Definitely stoked.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. I would never have thought to look there.

Yeah, the core profile follows the logic of the hanson barrels from BA. The hybrid barrels are arguably the most accurate, but I suspect that in practice any difference in accuracy won't be seen by the shooter.

You should be stoked. Are you going to use a fresh bolt with it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]
If you go LMT make sure your gas key is properly staked. I had one fail in a class after a few hours of hard use.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are you going to use a fresh bolt with it?
View Quote

Yeah, I got the LMT enhanced carrier and I'll be using a JP Enterprises enhanced bolt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top