Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2020 7:44:53 PM EDT
I have a Sig 516 I want to make into a dedicated night vision gun just for messing around. I was planning on getting the Lancer carbon fiber extended hand guard an arisaka defense 600 ir/white light and a Holosun IR laser and a TAPS sync switch. Oh and a suppressor of some form. Does this seem like it could work for messing around in my property? In all honesty I can’t make shots past 200 yards my property is pretty hilly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, I would suggest you invest in a Pulsar thermal.

I have 3rd generation NV, top of the line and mid grade thermals. Thermals rule, nothing hides from thermal.

Pulsar represents mid level thermal, and I have a couple Pulsars. They are great performers for the $.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Following because I'm needing an IR setup to share between a 12.3" and 7" upper
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#3]
A combo white/IR light and a separate IR LASER Designator/Pointer can certainly work fine - it all depends on what you are going to do with it, or what the worst case may be when you are using it. For anything not involving other people, probably be awesome. Any type of lethal force situation, and you probably want instant white available, at the same time as having an IR illuminator/Pointer on tap. Also consider using mounts/risers to raise your optic for passive aiming. But for plinking/critters, your first option should be G2G.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahh, I’ve looked at thermals, they are too much for me right now. For Christmas my wife bought me a set of night vision they aren’t anything fancy I’m sure they are on the low end. But I don’t expect to use this for self defense I have a LWRC and another 516 and several pistols and a shotgun set for home defense. This is purely for messing around at night on my property. Oh and I should have said I have a budget for of about $1500.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh and I should have said I have a budget for of about $1500.
View Quote
If you want the mostest, up to that max budget, take a look at the PERST-3 Green (Standard or "+") and your White Light of choice (look at the new Olight Warrior-X Pro).

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
If you wan to see out to 200 yards a Steiner D2 is what you're looking for. They can be found used for @ 800-900 and their illuminator can reach out past 500 yards+. Most other illuminators are only good to @ 70 yards in urban lighting and maybe 125 yards in rural areas.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, I should have said that was the complete budget for suppressor, handguard, laser, and illuminator.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure I'd trust a carbon fiber handguard to be rigid enough to keep an IR laser zeroed. What's wrong with the 516 rail you have? Those are pretty sturdy. Plus, not buying a new one allows more money for the rest of your stuff, which is going to be hard enough to cram into your budget as it is.

Silencer=YHM turbo, that's for sure. Great performance at just about the cheapest price point in the industry. Order from Hansohn Brothers and contact them for an Arfcom discount. Even then, with the tax stamp, you're looking at about $600 or so, depending on your local transfer fees.

So the can eats up almost half your budget.

You could get the Steiner single spectrum IR dbal I2 for IR laser illuminator and pointer which is about $800. You could also just get an IR laser. TNVC has something coming out soon for ~$300. No illuminator, so you'd have to get a separate IR light. If you want to go cheap, you could probably get an IR flashlight or something off amazon and mount it with a scope ring. The Sionix Camera thread around here has some budget-focused IR solutions, you might want to check that thread out.

White light. Lots of options.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Streamlight vir 2 is about 350. It’s basically a tlr with a white light and another for ir laser and led. Best deal I think without looking at Russian or Chinese stuff.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top