Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2021 2:00:31 AM EDT
MAS Defense stripped upper receiver, RTB 16 inch barrel, standard mil-spec barrel nut. Will attach a Samson Evolution rail that fits on mil-spec barrel nuts. Have molybdenum grease.

Does it need a barrel nut shim? How much does it need to be torqued down? Do I need an upper block in a vise, as for a 5.56 mm or other centerfire upper?

For the bolt assembly- I have a barely used Ceiner Atchisson conversion, and a RTB stainless collar. Any tips on removing the conversion adapter/chamber insert, and replacing it with the collar, without breaking or damaging the rails on the assembly? I plan to polish the feed ramp and chamber according to the advice in the tacked  thread above, or wherever it is..

Thanks for your assistance.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:Does it need a barrel nut shim?
View Quote

Barrel nut shims resolve timing issues for the nut and gas tube, the latter of which you will not use.  I don't foresee how you could need one.

Quoted: How much does it need to be torqued down?
View Quote

I like to end on 50 to 80 pounds after the third tightening, just like a regular AR.

Quoted:  Do I need an upper block in a vise, as for a 5.56 mm or other centerfire upper?
View Quote

People have built uppers without a vise and block, but I wouldn't try it.

Quoted: Any tips on removing the conversion adapter/chamber insert, and replacing it with the collar, without breaking or damaging the rails on the assembly?
View Quote

Be gentle with the frame.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... Will attach a Samson Evolution rail that fits on mil-spec barrel nuts ...

... Does it need a barrel nut shim? ...
View Quote

If you are going to install a Samson Evo handguard, indexing is required, however; the two pieces that go around the barrel nut and inside of the rail allows a little bit of rotational play before you tighten down the screws at the bottom.  It needs to be indexed pretty close where a gas tube would normally sit in one of the barrel nut notches but can be off a little because of the play in the fitment of the handguard.  When I installed a Samson Evo on my 9mm PCC SBR, I did not need any shims.  I did have to torque the nut to just over 70 ft-lbs to get it to index close enough.  I have had no issues with my build. See pic below...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
You won't be able to use a bev block or reaction type rod on the assembly. Just buy one of those plastic clam shell vise blocks to hold your upper receiver in the block.

To undo your chamber adapters just gently pull apart the two rails enough to rotate out the adapter.

See at 00:45 here
CMMG .22 LR Conversion for AR-15 (Take down)
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Pro Tip...
When assembling the collar on the conversion rails.
Place one collar slot completely on a rail cove.
And rotate the collar, while slightly spreading the other rail.

It is easy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Do I need an upper block in a vise, as for a 5.56 mm or other centerfire upper?
View Quote

Or, if a flat-top and you don't have a fixture:

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Very helpful replies so far, everyone. Thanks !

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top