Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2022 7:01:48 PM EDT
Just did a aero precision build and when i laid the gun upside down to make sure the upper and rail was nice and straight there is a gap about 2-3mm , i am wondering why there is a gap? No gap at the rear of the upper then gradually is a gap then when you get to the front of the rail it is nice and flat again. Is this a problem? I noticed this when I had the rifle upside down on a nice flat surface
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Either I'm dumb or we need pictures. I'm not getting what you're saying
Edit: Are you saying where the upper and lower meet together it is tight on either end, but has a gap in the middle (like below the bolt catch)?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
A picture would be very helpful, but if I understand you correctly it sounds like there are 3 possibilities:

1. The upper is warped/out of spec
    2. The rail is warped/out of spec
    3. The rail isn't mounted quite right

Again, a picture would be very helpful.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont recall how the Aero handguard mounts but the holes on the barrel nut for the handguard could be out of spec causing the gap. However, if the Handguard is a clamp style then something else is wrong. Take it back apart and reinstall etc. Send photos if possible.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as the receiver top rail itself is flat, if you aren't planning to mount lasers or other aiming devices on the handguard then forget about it. Check if the handguard is pressing into the bottom of the gas block, since it'd be rare for one to be bent like that, but common to be mounted a bit off. But, if it's not making contact with the gas block, and is securely mounted... Handguards are for hands and lights in most cases, I really don't care if it's perfectly aligned.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Please post a pic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If I'm reading this right he's saying that when it's set upside down, the receiver and start of the top rail are flush with his table, but the top rail at the front of the handguard has a couple mm gap.

If im right, are you sure your table is actually that level op.

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top