Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2019 10:01:31 PM EDT
Hello from the Lone Star state. I had a bushmaster in 2003 but had minor jams occasionally. I upgraded to a Rock River Elite Comp (midlength) in 2005. Sold it in 2009.

1. I want a midlength upper for reliability reasons that I am sure most know here.

2. I don't want to spend over $1k.

3. Reliability comes before anything else.

4. I don't mind paying a little more for something if the "bang for buck" is there.

5. Current research tells me if I wanted the best complete rifle under 1k, I should get a Colt.

6. I can save hundreds of dollars without giving up almost any reliability by going with a PSA upper/lower.

7. Aero makes some of the best lowers, and they make PSA lowers.

8. If they do not effect reliability almost at all, I want either PSA Nickel Boron 2-stage trigger , Larue MBT, or even a Geissele SSA-E trigger.
If I went PSA complete lower, I can get it with the PSA 2 stage or the SSA-E trigger already installed. If I go with the Larue trigger, I have to install it myself (I've never built a AR before, but I have worked on cars most of my life and I'm "mechanically inclined").
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
9. I have kicked around building a AR10 vs AR15, but needs to be 7 lbs or lighter. I would not build it to be a "sniper" setup. I would run a 18" SS barrel just to take advantage of the extra powder. It would be configured like a AR15 build (short to medium range). I do intend to put an ACOG on the build, the one with iron sights on top for close range/fast acquisitions and the optics (4x?) for reaching out... just not sure if the extra power would be a "waste" since I am not planning to use it as a "sniper". My mindset here is when I was younger was more about slinging lots of lead down range. Now I am more about precision. Even with hunting, I never fire more than one shot (I primarily bow hunt these days, so 1 shot equals 1 kill). I still want it to be able to fend off potentially larger numbers of attackers in closer combat which is why I don't want it a sniper rifle, but I like the idea of being able to put one round on a target, and put it down in one hit.

10. This rifle will likely get shot a few hundred times just to ensure its reliability/function, and go in my safe for a very rainy day that hopefully never comes. It might come out once every year for 200 rounds. I doubt it will ever have more than 5k rounds in its entire life ran through it.

Just looking for opinions on what direction I should go in, or do more research, etc. Hope to hear from the more experienced guys here. Thank you in advance.

Sorry about breaking this up into two posts, but I am limited to 2k words per post since I am new. Just wanted to make sure you had a clear idea what I am thinking/wanting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Makes sense. Why do multiple sources say Aero makes Palmetto's receivers? Or was that maybe the truth at one point in time, but not anymore?

As far as deciding between AR10/15, I wanted to hear feedback as if anyone thought the extra power of the AR10 is stupid in a midrange setup (18" barrel, 3x to 4x max ACOG) and no real intention to use it out farther than 200 yards max. Not saying I wouldn't use it at farther ranges if neccessary but definitely not something I intend to do.

I was reading that there is a 11% tax on fully assembled weapons, so I figured I would purchase a complete upper and complete lower and slap them together and save the 11%. Now if a certain accessory is the better part by far (for example the Larue trigger), then I will just have to bite the bullet and do some extra assembly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
AR10 type builds tend to have more issues than AR15 type builds.  Too much variation between different manufacturers. Ammo is also quite a bit more expensive and recoil makes follow up slower.

I would go for an AR15 and stock good self defense ammo like PPU 75gr, Hornady 75gr, Black Hills 77 TMK or something from the gold dot or TSX family.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#5]
If this is going to be your only AR, I would go AR15 in 5.56 personally. As mentioned above AR10's are heavier, more finicky and there is no standardization on one design. Dont forget .308 ammo isnt cheap either.

7.62x39mm is dirt cheap (at roughly half the price of .308), .30 cal, does well out of short barrels, is good for hunting (deer, hogs), uses standard AR15 receivers etc.. Id probably go with a 7.62x39mm if dead set on a .30 cal not to be used for long range precision.

PSA products are solid for the money, and will leave you with money left over for mags and/or ammo while staying within your $1000 budget.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with a complete rifle

PSA is a good budget option, but if you have around 1k to spend i would get something a little higher quality

Colt 6920 is always a good option for a basic milspec rifle with quality components

Sionics has a really nice rifle with a FF rail similar to Colt in quality and specs  Just a tad over 1k

Sionics Rifle

BCM recce 16 can be had for 1200 if you look around.  Centurion is probably the best value but is also a little more than 1k 1200ish depending on options.  You get a FN CHF barrel, pineed gas block etc.  Great for the price
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple of points...

•Colt 6960- CCU if buying a factory gun/AR15 pattern.
•Several reliable aftermarket triggers available.
•You need to decide, buy/build and AR15/10, apples to oranges here.
•PSA offers plenty that fits your outlines criteria/budget.
• PSA would not be paying Aero to crank out lowers when they own this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/PSA_MFG3-1084012.jpg
View Quote
What does that do?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What does that do?
View Quote
CNC machine. Finishes lowers. PSA finishes their own

A few years ago it is possible that they sourced from aero.. no more... They are even making a bunch of one off lowers with different roll marks.. They wouldn't be doung we that if they had to pay someone to
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I’d buy the lower and upper separately, good way to save a few bucks OR decide where you want to spend the extra.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is a hydraulic forging press.

PSA also has banks of CNC mills to finish machine the raw forgings.

One does not drop this sort of coin to source from others.

Eta: some PSA CNC action....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/PSA_MFG5_JPG-1091746.jpg
View Quote
That it is. My bad
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Those Haas mills are badass, I had the chance to run one identical today for ~3hrs. High speed bitches. We recently added 4 at the shop. Production is high enough that we have guys standing/looking for work. Took an hour job and shaved it to an average of .25 man hours.  
View Quote
Still need manual machinists for prototype and one off pieces. But yeah cnc is bad ass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top