Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2018 6:07:28 AM EDT
Ok, I've got a CMMG MK3 and I want to remove the barrel.  CMMG does not list barrel nut wrenches on their web site and my email conversations with Brian B. at CMMG tech support leave me wanting to go postal on someone.  So....there's got to be someone on this board who's removed the barrel nut on their MK3, whose barrel nut wrench did you purchase to remove the damn thing.  And no, a pipe wrench is not an option!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what the actual tool is and have never removed one but my mind went to a spanner wrench as well as a strap wrench.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it is the same as the DPMS .308 nut . Have you tried a DPMS wrench ?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well with a little internet sleuthing it seems there may be 2 different barrel nut versions for the factory MK3 handguard. One looks like it uses a spanner wrench  with a pin, and the other a larger version of the RE castle nut tool. FWIW it doesn't look like either one would be removable with the factory DPMS LR-308 tool.

Have you removed the handguard from the barrel nut to look at the barrel nut yet? Posting a pic would allow us to help you further. Even if there isn't a "factory" barrel nut tool I am sure you will be able find something adequate to remove it.

And I sincerely doubt you will need to bust out the pipe wrench to get it off haha...
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
In case any one is interested.  A friend of mine had a box of various barrel nut wrenches.  After trying all of the wrenches, the Bravo Company KMR barrel nut wrench was the only one that fit the CMMG MK3 nut.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top