Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2022 5:30:41 PM EDT
I’ve seen so much junk online.   So many kits break and bend etc.   What is a good quality gun cleaning kit out there that last.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Tipton rod and jags
here
good place to start.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Pro-Shot, Made in USA
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Otis.. they’re compact and well made with everything you’ll need.

Just add a set of usgi cleaning rod to replace the Otis cable
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 4:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wolfpak] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Frens:
I like the Otis.. they’re compact and well made with everything you’ll need.

Just add a set of usgi cleaning rod to replace the Otis cable
View Quote

I’m going to read up these.  I like the compact kit idea.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have Dewey coated rods but have switched everything over to Pro-Shot products and am very happy with them.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:22:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#7]
I still have and love my old Dewey cleaning rod I bought way back in 2003 (if I remember correctly). I'm not really a fan of cleaning kits, but Otis would probably be the best for that. I could be wrong, I haven't really kept up with the latest and greatest.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my Otis kit a lot. Found a mil-spec version on eBay with a Gerber 600 in it for all of $50 shipped and it was well worth that price.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Tipton makes great kits
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
This is very dependent on what means clean to each shooter. Some people just run a bore snake with some hoppe's 9 on it and call it clean while others, myself included, use a bore scope and clean with quite aggressive solvents and in non embedding abrasives. If you aren't trying to squeeze benchrest accuracy just clean with a bore snake and use nylon brushes to get the worst of the fouling out of the action. Basically what I am saying, buy your cleaning kit according to how you want to clean. There isn't really a point in cleaning down to bare metal if you only ever shoot factory ammo out of a standard barrel. What I will say though is avoid segmented steel cleaning rods at all cost. If you plan on cleaning with a rod and not a snake get a good bore guide so you don't make a huge mess and have solvents eat at the aluminum anodizing. I rarely recommend buying a kit because there will always be something you are paying for that you won't use so just buy what you need separately and put it together yourself. Best of luck out there and may all your groups be one hole.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]

This is really good advice.   Thanks for your input.   Not using a segmented rod is good info too.  

Originally Posted By Jimmeals:
This is very dependent on what means clean to each shooter. Some people just run a bore snake with some hoppe's 9 on it and call it clean while others, myself included, use a bore scope and clean with quite aggressive solvents and in non embedding abrasives. If you aren't trying to squeeze benchrest accuracy just clean with a bore snake and use nylon brushes to get the worst of the fouling out of the action. Basically what I am saying, buy your cleaning kit according to how you want to clean. There isn't really a point in cleaning down to bare metal if you only ever shoot factory ammo out of a standard barrel. What I will say though is avoid segmented steel cleaning rods at all cost. If you plan on cleaning with a rod and not a snake get a good bore guide so you don't make a huge mess and have solvents eat at the aluminum anodizing. I rarely recommend buying a kit because there will always be something you are paying for that you won't use so just buy what you need separately and put it together yourself. Best of luck out there and may all your groups be one hole.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Hands down...Otis
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Real Avid and Otis are both good
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I usually make my own for at home, but after looking at the Otis kits, I never knew they sold a 556/9mm "defender" kit... seems like a GREAT item to throw in the truck or go bag/range bag and only use it if you NEED to.
having a good kit packed for such situation is vital.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Otis NSN cable kit with tools for on the go, a rod and bore guide for the bench.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#16]
My best rods are Boretech. My best non rotating chamber brush rod is a Dewey. My best bore guide is a JP.

I use nylon brushes and Tipton or Boretech jags when using copper solvents.

For regular chromelined bores I do a single pass with a boresnake after a good chamber brushing after each outing. It does not take much.

I try to limit my cleaning on stainless barrels. Powder solvents only if I won't shoot for a while and only de-copper when accuracy decreases.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Pro shot has a kit out with segmented rods that are coated so they don’t have metal to metal contact in the bore.

It’s good to have a solid rod to be able to remove bore obstructions or stuck cases in the field. I’ve been looking for one just like pro shot has.

I’ve got all the Otis kits.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I use the old USGI cleaning kits been using them for years never had an issue
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 8:18:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Metro6] [#19]
Pro-Shot makes good product and they are really good people. Having said that, I’d put my own kit together. I think bore tech is making the best 1 pc rods a this point. I like Pro-Shot segmented coat rods for field use.. I really like Pro-Shot patches. I use a mixture of pro-shot and Boretech brushes and jags. I use glock brushes on glock pistols, as I have a metric ton of them. I’m digging Boretech solvents and such for now, with Lucas extreme oil as my go to, and Slip EWL 2000 as a back up.

I have a bunch of issued Otis kits, and never use them
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#20]
i have had a few. but to be honest. building one is much cheaper and more gooder.

qtips,
plyers.
punches.
oil.
carbon cleaner spray.
welders small wire brush and bore size brush.
tooh brush.
bore snake (thich shoe laces)
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Precision Rifles I like Pro Shot rods. Most of my AR’s I use the old USGI cleaning kit never had an issue
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
For handguns I like ProShot

For rifles I like Tipton or Otis
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#23]
ProShot, Otis, Tipton, Tetra, Battle Born.

I've used a few others, but these tend to always work well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I need to check out the pro shot cleaning rods
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
Pro-Shot, Made in USA
View Quote

This!   Greatest quality for the money!

I used to buy Dewey coated rods, then Dewey stainless rods.  I couldn’t get one in a size I wanted so I bought a Pro-Shot.

I was blown away at the quality.   The Dewey are good but not all their ball bearing handles actually rotate in use as they are supposed to.

Tipton is a value brand that is plenty good but not near as nice.

You don’t need the $80 Gucci rods.   A $25-30 ProShot is a very well made tool.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gordo556:
I usually make my own for at home, but after looking at the Otis kits, I never knew they sold a 556/9mm "defender" kit... seems like a GREAT item to throw in the truck or go bag/range bag and only use it if you NEED to.
having a good kit packed for such situation is vital.
View Quote

Agreed.

I got a free Otis kit from the company as I was local to their NY plant.  Great local company that supports local efforts.

I also had a work issue defender kit later.   I used it but only on field use.  

For any real work I much prefer one piece bench rods.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wolfpak:
I need to check out the pro shot cleaning rods
View Quote

Their price is so reasonable next to the Gucci gear brands that you can buy two, one for brushing and one for patching.

Your thread has me tempted to pick up another pistol rod.   I have Kleenbore brand pistol rod from work as well as the old steel USGI rods but could use a longer rod for 6” revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Never liked kits.

I have recently been using Boretech rods and jags/brushes.  I find them superior to my Dewey rods. The coating on my Dewey rods has flaked off over time,  and their male end threads are a PITA if you don’t have their jags or an adaptor.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top