User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 123
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kbrown0122:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497552/112ECCB4-E621-4EB8-9232-CD79DEAF786E_jpe-1793004.JPG
Hi guys I’m starting to collect pieces for the gun on the left. The optic is kind of throwing me off, I think it’s a x24 NF but the resolution sucks and the eyepiece and the knobs look off. Anyone have any other pics of this gun?
View Quote

Looks like an x24 with a duct taped BC cap.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah ok that explains that
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
https://i.imgur.com/5F5Ve0Q.jpg
View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Kbrown0122:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497552/112ECCB4-E621-4EB8-9232-CD79DEAF786E_jpe-1793004.JPG
Hi guys I’m starting to collect pieces for the gun on the left. The optic is kind of throwing me off, I think it’s a x24 NF but the resolution sucks and the eyepiece and the knobs look off. Anyone have any other pics of this gun?
View Quote

The guy without his face blurred is Bill Rapier. The guy is total badass. From knife work, Jujitsu black belt and one of the best shooters at DEVGRU. He was also on the UBL raid. Very humble guy. Owns his own shooting/defense business in Idaho now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Getting back in the game. Who makes an off the shelf barrel that allows for the smallest rail to suppressor gap with a standard AE collar? I went with a BA 16", had it chopped to 15.1" and pinned and welded. Got it back and it had more gap than I wanted, so hoping for better results this go around. Picture of my previous upper.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 03CR:
Getting back in the game. Who makes an off the shelf barrel that allows for the smallest rail to suppressor gap with a standard AE collar? I went with a BA 16", had it chopped to 15.1" and pinned and welded. Got it back and it had more gap than I wanted, so hoping for better results this go around. Picture of my previous upper.

https://i.imgur.com/iQrtvvkl.jpg
View Quote

Send it to d wilson and it’ll be tight
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

Send it to d wilson and it’ll be tight
View Quote

That's who I had do the work last time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

😩
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

You may not be able to hit 16" with a P/W and have a flush fit to the rail. Not sure on the math.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

You may not be able to hit 16" with a P/W and have a flush fit to the rail. Not sure on the math.
View Quote

I'll likely run it on an SBR lower. I have more uppers than lowers now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#12]

View Quote

Gap is more clone too. Welcome back and welcome to the part Duex club!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I think yours looks good as is. Sure a super flush fit is nice but yours is nothing to lose sleep over.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ic_guerrero:
As close as I could get.

14.5” MRE Recce

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58542/C70B5ADC-1F39-426D-ABBA-7B3D1053E039_jpe-1780212.JPG
View Quote

Is that a 1.93” mount? This may be the next road I travel down- just ordered a 14.5 SOCOM barrel
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:54:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#15]
I've got 2 sets of MA110 rings sitting here and I'm not sure which set to use for my OG SEAL build with 2.5-10x32 scope. The set on the left is pre-2010, the set on the right is 2010 to current issue. There's subtle differences between the sets, I'm trying to figure out which set would fit the time frame for my clone build. I'm assuming it's the pre-2010 rings, but I'm not certain. Here's some pics:

Also, I have 3 of the x32 scopes, but 2 of them are .25 MOA turret adjustments and the other is .1 MRAD. I know the SEALS used the .25 MOA turrets on their other NF scopes, but did they ever use the .1 MRAD turrets? Or was that an Army thing?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
I've got 2 sets of MA110 rings sitting here and I'm not sure which set to use for my OG SEAL build with 2.5-10x32 scope. The set on the left is pre-2010, the set on the right is 2010 to current issue. There's subtle differences between the sets, I'm trying to figure out which set would fit the time frame for my clone build. I'm assuming it's the pre-2010 rings, but I'm not certain. Here's some pics:

https://i.imgur.com/XKe9Jm8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PqKFY2B.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7zulLB0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HZc8JiS.jpg

Also, I have 3 of the x32 scopes, but 2 of them are .25 MOA turret adjustments and the other is .1 MRAD. I know the SEALS used the .25 MOA turrets on their other NF scopes, but did they ever use the .1 MRAD turrets? Or was that an Army thing?

https://i.imgur.com/lfCJnRr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2PgxFHX.jpg
View Quote

PM if you don’t need all of those scopes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:55:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#17]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:

https://i.imgur.com/XKe9Jm8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PqKFY2B.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7zulLB0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HZc8JiS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lfCJnRr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2PgxFHX.jpg
View Quote

MOA/MIL would be more correct I'd assume for that time frame. If your actually going to shoot it a lot and go past 600yd I'd put the MIL/MIL on there. The 5 MILS on the reticle would get you out to 600 with heavies no problem.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:50:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#18]
Made some minor changes

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:12:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#19]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:
Made some minor changes

https://i.postimg.cc/BtWFbHCS/24041214-9902-467-C-A41-E-EC003478-B910.jpg
View Quote

Looking good! Reverse Burris gang.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]
My apologies if this was covered but I’m looking at doing a Recce clone.

Were the Recce uppers placed on M4a1 lowers?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Any theories about why the dumped the 416??
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Brandon123184:
My apologies if this was covered but I’m looking at doing a Recce clone.

Were the Recce uppers placed on M4a1 lowers?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DougFresh:
Any theories about why the dumped the 416??
View Quote

Because it is heavy, had QC issues and there is better shit out there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:36:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DougFresh] [#24]
Pardon my ignorance I read this thread about 10 pages or so and then I got tired I can’t figure out where the NSW Reece/recce  is. I searched GunBroker for NSW nothing came up I know that Noveske used to make a Recce”. You guys seem to be referring to an AR with varying length barrels a suppressor a multi power optical site and collapsible stock generically as an NSW no matter what the maker- am I correct about us ?   As for me I thought that NSW used the HK 416 because of its piston design. Now it looks like they’ve gone back to previous designs. Am I right? Then I see the Daniel defense mark 18 sold as “used by socom”. Not trying to go off on a tangent but what is the tier 1 rifle is most commonly these days or a mishmash based on each individual operators preference.  Until I recently figured out I could buy an A.R. pistol I could never dream of having a weapon similar to that used by special forces.  Frankly when I clicked on the thread I thought it was people making short barrels or pistol versions of the HK 416 making kind of no easy day Devgru replicas
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Pardon my ignorance I read this thread about 10 pages or so and then I got tired I can’t figure out where the NSW Reece/recce  is. I searched GunBroker for NSW nothing came up I know that Noveske used to make a Recce”. You guys seem to be referring to an AR with varying length barrels a suppressor a multi power optical site and collapsible stock generically as an NSW no matter what the maker- am I correct about us ?   As for me I thought that NSW used the HK 416 because of its piston design. Now it looks like they’ve gone back to previous designs. Am I right? Then I see the Daniel defense mark 18 sold as “used by socom”. Not trying to go off on a tangent but what is the tier 1 rifle is most commonly these days or a mishmash based on each individual operators preference.  Until I recently figured out I could buy an A.R. pistol I could never dream of having a weapon similar to that used by special forces.  Frankly when I clicked on the thread I thought it was people making short barrels or pistol versions of the HK 416 making kind of no easy day Devgru replicas
View Quote

First post is pretty all-encompassing. They all used 15.1" or 16" barrels. Minor variations here and there, but it's put into a pretty small box.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:59:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#26]
View Quote

- Recce is just slang for "recon", so this is just a recon rifle. It's not an actual brand of rifle, it's just a somewhat specific configuration that was used for a time inside of devgru. It's similar in purpose and capability to the SPR or Mk 12 family of rifles. Basic idea is just a fairly accurate M4 using specialized ammo. It's still being used today because it's a capable platform and meets needs that other systems don't.

- The varying length of barrel, and suppressor, etc… is because the rifle/configuration varied over time and over different groups. But generally the purpose of the rifle is the same.

- They didn't use the 416 because of its "piston design". They chose it because it met their needs. They haven't gone back to "previous designs", they've just chosen a different carbine that meets their current needs.

- The Mk 18 has nothing to do with this thread. It's an issued 10" carbine within socom. Vanilla SEAL teams get it, but it's not used within devgru (different weapons altogether). There are a few photos floating around where individual operators have set Mk 18s up as "recce rifles", I.e., adding a Nightforce, bi-pod and moving the laser off to the side so it's compatible with CNVDs. So you could make an argument that that's technically also an "NSW Recce" but it's not really what this thread is about.

- The no easy day carbine has nothing to do with this thread. That would be just a standard issue dev 10.4" 416 set up as an assaulter-style configuration (EOTech, etc…). But again, plenty of operators have also setup 10.4" 416s as "recces".

- If your goal is to own a clone of a rifle used by SOF, then decide what you want to do with it first. If you want to be clearing rooms or primarily shooting up close then something like the Mk 18 or a 10" 416 would work great. If your goal is to be out shooting on open land past 200yds then something like a recce or Mk 12 is a great option.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]
^^^Thank you so much for the explanation I understand better now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Made some minor changes

View Quote

@SSOUNN
Can I get some info on the red dot setup?

I am trying to mount my 507c to my Tr24.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Just a heads up, CLE has a 3 month lead time on barrels. Happy to wait it out for a nice barrel, not a complaint. Ordered 12/30/20, emailed last night to check status, and was advised of a 90 day ETA from date of order.

My parts pile is gathering dust
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Just a heads up, CLE has a 3 month lead time on barrels. Happy to wait it out for a nice barrel, not a complaint. Ordered 12/30/20, emailed last night to check status, and was advised of a 90 day ETA from date of order.

View Quote

It's well worth the wait. What did you spec?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

View Quote

Can confirm. Actually, Frank told me they were beyond three months now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

It's well worth the wait. What did you spec?
View Quote

Douglas in 1/7 twist with a Wylde chamber and the cerakote black. I went back and forth searching far and wide on the internet on the wylde versus cle chambers. Both my mod h and mod 1 have Douglas barrels and they shoot great, both have normal 556 nato spec chambers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

- Recce is just slang for "recon", so this is just a recon rifle. It's not an actual brand of rifle, it's just a somewhat specific configuration that was used for a time inside of devgru. It's similar in purpose and capability to the SPR or Mk 12 family of rifles. Basic idea is just a fairly accurate M4 using specialized ammo. It's still being used today because it's a capable platform and meets needs that other systems don't.

- The varying length of barrel, and suppressor, etc… is because the rifle/configuration varied over time and over different groups. But generally the purpose of the rifle is the same.

- They didn't use the 416 because of its "piston design". They chose it because it met their needs. They haven't gone back to "previous designs", they've just chosen a different carbine that meets their current needs.

- The Mk 18 has nothing to do with this thread. It's an issued 10" carbine within socom. Vanilla SEAL teams get it, but it's not used within devgru (different weapons altogether). There are a few photos floating around where individual operators have set Mk 18s up as "recce rifles", I.e., adding a Nightforce, bi-pod and moving the laser off to the side so it's compatible with CNVDs. So you could make an argument that that's technically also an "NSW Recce" but it's not really what this thread is about.

- The no easy day carbine has nothing to do with this thread. That would be just a standard issue dev 10.4" 416 set up as an assaulter-style configuration (EOTech, etc…). But again, plenty of operators have also setup 10.4" 416s as "recces".

- If your goal is to own a clone of a rifle used by SOF, then decide what you want to do with it first. If you want to be clearing rooms or primarily shooting up close then something like the Mk 18 or a 10" 416 would work great. If your goal is to be out shooting on open land past 200yds then something like a recce or Mk 12 is a great option.
View Quote

Which begs the question, 15,1” or 16”, and why? Which was used in greater numbers? The reason I ask is, I had Kevin build me up REECEish 16” a number of years ago, using URX3 with a 16” SS barrel, profiled for my OPS brake and collar, well I kept the barrel (unfired) but sold the URX, I now have everything to correctly build a NSW, REECE except my barrel needs to either be built as is, or send it to D Wilson, have it shortened and reprofiled.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

Which begs the question, 15,1” or 16”, and why? Which was used in greater numbers? The reason I ask is, I had Kevin build me up REECEish 16” a number of years ago, using URX3 with a 16” SS barrel, profiled for my OPS brake and collar, well I kept the barrel (unfired) but sold the URX, I now have everything to correctly build a NSW, REECE except my barrel needs to either be built as is, or send it to D Wilson, have it shortened and reprofiled.
View Quote

Idk about "seen in greater numbers", but a 15.1 with the KAC RAS, iirc, will bring the suppressor damn near touching the handguard. Pretty bitchin' look imo. when i get around to a Recce, that is what im going to be going with
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:18:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#35]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

@SSOUNN

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Made some minor changes

@SSOUNN

It’s a Docter RedDot sitting on Burris FastFire Mount ( P/N 410338 )
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

There are no ITW pictures of a 16" NSW Recce with a 12th model attached

If your planning on running the 12th/AEM5 and want to stay clone 15.1" is what you will want.

If you want to run a 16" then the Lilja/249f/NT4 would be clone correct.

With that being said the NSW Recce with a 16" and the 12th/AEM5 is still a very good looking rig and plenty of guys in this thread are running that setup.

If I were you I'd chop it to 15.1" before the build. That gap will bug you and it not being a true clone will also bug you. If that matters to you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Which begs the question, 15,1" or 16", and why? Which was used in greater numbers? The reason I ask is, I had Kevin build me up REECEish 16" a number of years ago, using URX3 with a 16" SS barrel, profiled for my OPS brake and collar, well I kept the barrel (unfired) but sold the URX, I now have everything to correctly build a NSW, REECE except my barrel needs to either be built as is, or send it to D Wilson, have it shortened and reprofiled.
View Quote

My old Mod1 has been rebuilt into a 16" recce. I shoot with @Eyekahn all the time and while it may not seem like it, that little bit of length does make a psychological difference, if nothing else. The NSW just feels a slight bit more handy and maneuverable. Both look great, and I see no good reason to go back to an 18" barrel as the ballistics aren't that far apart, but there is a difference between 15.1" and 16" and there is certainly a big difference in those vs. the 18" Mk12 platform. All are great, however.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

My old Mod1 has been rebuilt into a 16" recce. I shoot with @Eyekahn all the time and while it may not seem like it, that little bit of length does make a psychological difference, if nothing else. The NSW just feels a slight bit more handy and maneuverable. Both look great, and I see no good reason to go back to an 18" barrel as the ballistics aren't that far apart, but there is a difference between 15.1" and 16" and there is certainly a big difference in those vs. the 18" Mk12 platform. All are great, however.

https://i.imgur.com/5wookqA.jpg
View All Quotes

Which begs the question, 15,1" or 16", and why? Which was used in greater numbers? The reason I ask is, I had Kevin build me up REECEish 16" a number of years ago, using URX3 with a 16" SS barrel, profiled for my OPS brake and collar, well I kept the barrel (unfired) but sold the URX, I now have everything to correctly build a NSW, REECE except my barrel needs to either be built as is, or send it to D Wilson, have it shortened and reprofiled.

I feel the same way.. My Mod 1 doesn’t get much love at all and sits there collecting dust.. Was planning to go 16”, BUUT I already have a 15.1, any reason to have both 15.1 and 16 NSW, other than just because... lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#39]

I feel the same way.. My Mod 1 doesn’t get much love at all and sits there collecting dust.. Was planning to go 16”, BUUT I already have a 15.1, any reason to have both 15.1 and 16 NSW, other than just because... lol
View Quote

Not at all ha. 15.1" is life.

I will say however if you have the means to keep a legit MK12 in the stable I would do that, if not for anything else but the sound alone!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Is that double rings? Does it have the same footprint as the rmr/507?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:30:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#41]

View Quote

Did you notice any difference between the mid length and rifle length gas system? I would think the rifle length would have a slightly softer recoil impulse...yes/no?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Double Rings..?? It’s just a 3.5 MOA Dot, and NO the Mount is compatible with Docter, FastFire, Vortex Viper/Venom.. Just to name a few..
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Double Rings..?? It’s just a 3.5 MOA Dot, and NO the Mount is compatible with Docter, FastFire, Vortex Viper/Venom.. Just to name a few..
View All Quotes

@SSOUNN I think by double rings he meant the Docter is on its own ring, and not attached to the scope ring. The answer is yes. That ring can be mounted anywhere along the tube and rotated around it wherever you want it. That rifle is titties!

I need to decide which route to go. I already have a 16" CLE, but I have the Armalite tube over that. Seems silly to get a 15.1 also. The Lilja seems like a logical route for me
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

@SSOUNN I think by double rings he meant the Docter is on its own ring, and not attached to the scope ring. The answer is yes. That ring can be mounted anywhere along the tube and rotated around it wherever you want it. That rifle is titties!

I need to decide which route to go. I already have a 16" CLE, but I have the Armalite tube over that. Seems silly to get a 15.1 also. The Lilja seems like a logical route for me
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

Alrighty then HaHaHa.. Thanks for clearing that up Brother..
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#45]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

Did you notice any difference between the mid length and rifle length gas system? I would think the rifle length would have a slightly softer recoil impulse...yes/no?
View Quote

I'll chime in. It's a small difference but noticeable. It's much more noticeable when you have rifle gas and rifle buffer.

An H2 with sprinco spring with the middy is perfect for something like this.

A 15.1" with AEM5 is about the same OAL as an Unsuppressed MK12. The NSW without can is only .6in longer than a standard M4. The handiness of it really outweighs that TINY bit more felt recoil.

I had a picture of my NSW and J's old MK12 lined up. Can't seem to find it though.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#46]

I feel the same way.. My Mod 1 doesn't get much love at all and sits there collecting dust.. Was planning to go 16", BUUT I already have a 15.1, any reason to have both 15.1 and 16 NSW, other than just because... lol
View All Quotes

I feel the same way.. My Mod 1 doesn't get much love at all and sits there collecting dust.. Was planning to go 16", BUUT I already have a 15.1, any reason to have both 15.1 and 16 NSW, other than just because... lol

If you already have a 15.1, convert the 16 to an 11.3 mini.

Negligible difference, I'd say.

I'll chime in. It's a small difference but noticeable. It's much more noticeable when you have rifle gas and rifle buffer.

A 15.1" with AEM5 is about the same OAL as an Unsuppressed MK12. The NSW without can is only .6in longer than a standard M4. The handiness of it really outweighs that TINY bit more felt recoil.

I had a picture of my NSW and J's old MK12 lined up. Can't seem to find it though.

Totally.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Totally.
View All Quotes

Totally.

I have an 11.3 AR Pistol w/ Medium FF RAS but with a RedDot tho lol
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:45:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#48]

View Quote

There’s part of me that want to chop down my mod 1 to go along with my mini NSW recce but I have a block II setup as a recce that’s a nice shooter. No need for two rifles within .6" of each other. Something about the mod 1 and the exposed gas block that I can’t get rid of it. Maybe I’ve watched lone survivor one too many times.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:13:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By robertototototo:
My recce has had some pretty bad overgassing issues. The Lilja M4 barrel has a gaping 0.080" gas port and carbine gas system. Using Mk262 mod 1c in this upper, the casings were bouncing off of the FF RAS nut. Overall the action was just way more violent then my URGI upper. I have a G42 spring and H2 buffer in my lower. I did some research and found the BRT eztune gas tubes. I didn't want to bother with taking off my gas block and installing the BRT gas block screw. Based off of their recommendation from my setup (Lilja M4 barrel, 0.080" gas port, carbine gas, G42 spring, H2 buffer, and using 77gr 5.56), I got a tube that had a 0.0625 hole. The difference in size between the standard gas tube hole and the BRT is pretty crazy. Installed it and got to test fire it today. The recce now shoots much softer and the casings are ejecting at exactly 3:00. I know the ejection pattern doesn't really matter, but the rifle isn't as jumpy and my crosshair isn't bouncing off of the target as much. Overall highly recommended if you have a Lilja m4 recce build!

https://i.imgur.com/tlImGLj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UXEmO5B.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f6583GS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cz9XQgZ.jpg
View Quote

Just found this post.  I have the Lija and know of what you speak.  I asked Carson Lilja (Dan's son) about that port size.  He says the background on the hoggish .080" port is lost in the mist of time but that this is how Crane spec'd it.  Maybe they just wanted to make damned sure the thing would cycle under any conceivable operating conditions, softness be damned.

I have sub 1/2 MOA match loads with light 52 grain Bergers that have the best accuracy node down at .223 pressures.  They cycle reliably and ejection pattern is about 3 o'clock.  So, I've not tackled the serious over-gassing with 5.56 power 77 grain SMKs.  They do really snap, for sure.  

I was debating an adjustable gas block or insert.  Didn't know someone was making a correctly sized gas tube.  Thanks.  I'm going to try that.  Thanks for this information.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#50]

There’s part of me that want to chop down my mod 1 to go along with my mini NSW recce but I have a block II setup as a recce that’s a nice shooter. No need for two rifles within .6" of each other. Something about the mod 1 and the exposed gas block that I can’t get rid of it. Maybe I’ve watched lone survivor one too many times.
View Quote

If you have a B2 Recce I'd leave the mod 1 alone.

If you were considering ditching both of your setups I'd replace both of them with a 15.1". That's exactly what it was made for!
Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top