Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2020 2:05:18 PM EDT
In a carbine course I take, I have been experiencing stove-piping on ejection.

We run what the instructor calls the "1 to 5" drill. Three torso targets with head and spinal column boxes are placed at 7 yards. Target A, Target B, and Target C.

We start with a standard AR mag loaded with 15 rounds.

Starting from the low ready, at the buzzer, you fire one round at target A, two rounds at target B, three rounds at target C, four rounds at target B, and the final 5 rounds at target A. Only hits in the head/spine box count.

Since you are only starting with 15 rounds, by the time you get back to target A for the last five rounds, you can hammer them off pretty quick. On the rapid-fire of those last 5 rounds, I get a stove-pipe. The ejected case gets pinned by the closing bolt trying to seat the next round. The case is pinned right at the end, right near the rim, and the case is sticking out perpendicular to the rifle. It happened a few times, and only on the rapid fire of the last 5 rounds. I was also told that my rounds are ejecting at 1 o'clock.

I do not have an adjustable gas block. The gun has 5000+ rounds through it. No modifications to the fire control group, I do have a Phase 5 bad lever. I only use metal C- products metal mags. I have only fired 5.56 rounds in the gun, not 223.

What do we think the problem is?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Some combination of dirty ejector, weak/broken ejector spring, excessive cycling energy. Excessive recoil spring force and insufficient buffer might be contributing. Worn extractor might be contributing.

Out of curiosity what barrel/gas system configuration?

If you pull the BCG and depress the ejector what does it feel like? Do you have another Bolt/BCG to compare it to?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some combination of dirty ejector, weak/broken ejector spring, excessive cycling energy. Excessive recoil spring force and insufficient buffer might be contributing. Worn extractor might be contributing.

Out of curiosity what barrel/gas system configuration?

If you pull the BCG and depress the ejector what does it feel like? Do you have another Bolt/BCG to compare it to?
View Quote

It is a carbine gas system, 16-inch barrel. Great advice on the ejector - I will check the pushback on it with a punch. I do have another bolt to check it against. I'll replace the ejector spring as needed. I think I need to maybe take a closer look at the face to the ejector as well.

I'll replace the extractor and extractor spring as well. Could the buffer spring be shot?

I won't give the name of the manufacturer as I''ll get flamed to hell, but it is a Florida company, not Spikes, not KAC. 5000+ rounds and no issues before this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]
When my rifle started to act up, the gas key had come loose.  Armalite didn't stake them for shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I would vote extractor or ejector issues.
My ejection pattern started to change on one of mine.
I replaced the little spring and O-ring on the extractor and all was well.

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow guys, thank you all for the guidance and support.

Dano, special thanks to you for the detailed analysis and steps I should take moving forward. I have the disassembled bolt and carrier bathing in CLP and will clean it this evening. I've heard about the legendary gold Colt extractor springs, I'll track one down. I will take pics of anything I see after cleaning the bolt if I think it has any relevance to the discussion.

I'll report back after replacing the suggested parts, function checking, and live-fire testing.

Thanks again, everyone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Now I have to ask, is the company name something that comes out of the end of the barrel or something a blacksmith uses?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now I have to ask, is the company name something that comes out of the end of the barrel or something a blacksmith uses?  
View Quote

Unless Rattlesnake is something a blacksmith uses, no.

It's a DiamondBack carbine. It was a Davidson's special run they colabroated with Diamondback on, and I understand they only produced roughly 500 of this particular model.

What brand were you thinking of?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]
So I replaced the trigger spring, I used the one that comes with the LaRue MBT, which of course I installed.

I also replaced the ejector spring (sprinco M4 enhanced ejector spring), the ejector (FN branded), and the ejector pin (FN branded). I also put in a new buffer spring (Expo Arms) and an H2 buffer (Expo Arms). When I compared the push-back on the old ejector, with the push-back on a spare bolt I carry in my field repair kit, the compression on the old ejector was markedly weaker than the new bolt. Granted all I did was push on the ejector with a 1/8th punch, but the difference was substantial. Clearly, the old stock sping was trashed.

After all that it runs like a dream. Brass is landing at my 3 and 4 o'clock. Everything appears to be timed right, I am getting full extraction with clean ejection, and a nice bounce off the brass deflector. I tested it under as rapid-fire as I could generate, and I could not replicate the stovepipe. I actually did the thumb-through-the-belt-loop-bump-fire technique and was able to dump 20 rounds at a rate of fire that was just about as close to full-auto as I could get. Zero issues.  

Thanks to everyone for their advice and guidance. https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?b=3&f=66&t=759855&tl=My-rifle-has-started-to-stove-pipe&r=8222881&page=1#
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What do we think the problem is?
View Quote
Does the bolt lock fully open on the last round from the magazine?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does the bolt lock fully open on the last round from the magazine?
View Quote

Yes Sir it locks open on the last round
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes Sir it locks open on the last round
View Quote
Excellent
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top