Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2019 1:28:29 PM EDT
It's pretty much a given that heavy uppers "hang" better for shooting offhand. High power competitors use lead weights in the buttstock and a handguards. I personally have observed that I can hold steadier with a lighter upper.
I decided to make a head to head comparison between two of my guns.
Both are PSA builds. The heavier upper is a 16 inch midlenght with a 15 inch rail
It has a Larue MBT trigger
The lighter upper was a PSA 10.5 inch upper
It as a PSA EPT trigger with JP yellow springs. It's a good trigger but can't compare to the Larue. Keep this in mind.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]

This is the best of the 16 inch upper. Remember, this gun has much better trigger.  I shot a total of 4 targets with each gun. It seems that I do shot light guns better
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone else have the same experience?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Lighter gun means less muscle fatigue, leading to less wobble.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was shooting .22 3 position I did well with a $200 Anschutz 64.Many of the guys were shooting 52 Winchesters,Anschutz. 54 Match,Anschutz 1813,Feinwerkbau,even a Mossberg 44.
Where I won matches was off hand.........I shot the 64 pretty well because of the lighter weight.It didn't fatigue me....
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. Lighter gun means less muscle fatigue, leading to less wobble.
View Quote
Why do high power shooters put lead weights in their guns?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is one example
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a balancing act.

More weight can mean less wobble (law of physics -- a body at rest tends to stay at rest).

On the other hand it'll mean fatigue trying to keep it in firing position, especially if your position is cr@p.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it might be that the heavier gun isn't enough heavier to overcome your hold wobble. While the shorter gun is balanced better due to less pendulum arm.

I've felt this shooting my pair set up very close to yours.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a balancing act.

More weight can mean less wobble (law of physics -- a body at rest tends to stay at rest).

On the other hand it'll mean fatigue trying to keep it in firing position, especially if your position is cr@p.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a balancing act.

This. Heavier rifles have more inertia, so slight twitches/ movements will not affect them as much. This results in smoother aiming if you can handle the weight. I am not familiar with competition shooting, but like any sport, I assume the shooters train so that they can handle the heavier weight to reap the benefits of a heavier rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Heavier rifles are more stable and easier to steady.
The OP's results are not typical.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Both of those  rifles are light. A heavy target rifle is 9+ pounds.

What distance did you shoot at, how big are the targets,  and how many shots did you fire at each?, Both targets have seven shots that broke the 10 ring. The 16" has two bulls, but the pistol only has one. How did you decide which target was better?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What distance did you shoot at, how big are the targets,  and how many shots did you fire at each?, Both targets have seven shots that broke the 10 ring. The 16" has two bulls, but the pistol only has one. How did you decide which target was better?
View Quote
50 yards and 50 shots o. A 6 inch target. I was counting how many hits on were on the target.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was comparing heavier upper to lighter upper. Not "heavy". 9+ pounds
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top