Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2020 11:02:17 AM EDT
Well I was apprehensive to post this and waited until I finished my Nodak NDS-15 based clone of #000005
The response weren’t as negative as I expected (I bow down to the collective knowledge and experience here) so I decided to post pics of my first prototype build which is built on the “not really correct” Brownells receivers. It is what it is and it’s kinda cool in a “highly modded Armalite/Colt 601” clone kinda way.
I have sourced a grey buffer tube and trigger guard and changed a few other details since these pics (what’s the fun in these unless they evolve?).

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle. I don’t think anybody here is really going to knock any attempt at a prototype. We like them all! The fun is you can be imaginative with prototypes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice!

Did you paint the furniture?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice job Sir.  Love those reddish handguards.  I'm planning on doing the same thing using the Brrownell receivers for my proto build.  The fact that it won't be 100% accurate gives me license to go cheaper on small parts like an $8.00 3 prong flash hider, a tick marked safety, etc. etc.  But it will have  the look though, with the blem barrel.  Maybe later I'll go with the nodak receivers.  Can't quite afford them at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!

Did you paint the furniture?
View Quote

I painted the drain hole Colt handguards and repaired a couple small blems in them. The grip and stock are original 601 parts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice job Sir.  Love those reddish handguards.  I'm planning on doing the same thing using the Brrownell receivers for my proto build.  The fact that it won't be 100% accurate gives me license to go cheaper on small parts like an $8.00 3 prong flash hider, a tick marked safety, etc. etc.  But it will have  the look though, with the blem barrel.  Maybe later I'll go with the nodak receivers.  Can't quite afford them at the moment.
View Quote

Give me a shout when you get going on your project, I will be changing out most of the LPK parts on this one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice job! Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks great.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the kudos!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty cool!

Lots of nice detail.

The dimpled pins look great.

How are you getting along with the 601 upper receiver charging 'handle'?

Brownell's sent me one mistakenly when I ordered an A1 upper. Huh? What's this? When I tried to get the charging handle it was a problem so I ended up sending it back.

Kudo's to all of you who are doing mostly faithful recreations of these old rifles.

Here's one I cobbled together.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pretty cool!

Lots of nice detail.

The dimpled pins look great.

How are you getting along with the 601 upper receiver charging 'handle'?

Brownell's sent me one mistakenly when I ordered an A1 upper. Huh? What's this? When I tried to get the charging handle it was a problem so I ended up sending it back.

Kudo's to all of you who are doing mostly faithful recreations of these old rifles.

Here's one I cobbled together.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/168605/20200323_083252_resized_jpg-1370037.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/168605/20200323_083213_resized_jpg-1370038.JPG
View Quote

Super!

The charging handle uppers work great! Hitch Maybe the first three cycles but broke in fine after.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top