Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2018 12:27:06 AM EDT
After about 3 months of taking advantage of deals online and penny pinching like crazy I am complete with my "budget" lightweight build. I call it "Budget" because a lot of the lightweight builds are quite spendy and I wanted to stay under $1k for the rifle and still be 5lbs with optic.  
Thanks to all those that have contributed to the parts weight database, it was an invaluable resource.
All-in I am at $980 without optic.

4lb 9.7oz without optics or magazine
5lb 1.9oz with optics and 20 round empty SureFeed magazine

**Upper**
Rebel Arms Upper Reveiver
Faxon Pencil Barrel 14.5" with pinned break & low profile gas block
MGI Adjustable Gas Tube
Aim Surplus NiB Lightweight BCG
Guntec 12" Mod Lite Skeletonized Series M-Lok Hadguard
Strike Industries Latchless Charging Handle

**Lower**
Vorn Lima II Lower
Aero Precision Mil Spec Buffer Tube
Wolf Extra Power Buffer Spring
Taccom Ultra Lightweight Carbine Buffer
Milspec Castle Nut
Aim Surplus Aluminum QD End Plate
JMT Saber Single Stage Trigger
Mission First Tactical EPG16V2 Grip
Mission First Tactical Minimalist Stock
Magpul AR Enhanced Magazine Release
Magpul B.A.D. Lever Battery Assist Device
Strike Industries Ultralight Pivot Takedown Pins
Strike Industries Fang Billet Trigger Guard
Aim Ambi 60/90 Short Throw Safety
Remainder of Lower Parts milspec

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking rifle amigo!

Fun fact: the PWD was written (mostly) in your home town!
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, really nice looking. I like the Lima II lower.
How does she shoot?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going to do first rounds down the tube and get the gas system properly setup tomorrow.  I will let you know!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice! how was the fit and finish of the lower?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice! how was the fit and finish of the lower?
View Quote
It mated up to the upper very well.  The only part that didn't fit perfectly was the trigger guard but I am not sure if it was the lower or the guard itself.  I had to shave off a little of the Strike Industries Fang guard on the grip end with a fine machinist file to get the screws to line up.  Touched it up with flat back before assembly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello Keith
I have not even built an AR-15 yet I wanted to build a lightweight one as my first build.I have read that might not be a great idea.
Well before I read that I bought a Balios Lite Gen 2 Receiver set and a Daniel Defense 16" lightweight 5.56 barrel, 1-7 twist.
I also have all the tools I need being Shipped as I type. Now after reading that I am afraid I may have bite off more than I can chew.
Just wondering if you can give me some pointers or if I should just build the rest of it regular. Or if that is even possible with the Balios Lite upper and Lower.
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am going to do first rounds down the tube and get the gas system properly setup tomorrow.  I will let you know!
View Quote
What sort of adjustment do you do to the gas system?  Do you have an adjustable gas block?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top