Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 8:40:52 AM EDT
As the title says, I am doing my first ever build. This will also be my first AR.
I had a S&W MP 15-22 for a while so I am somewhat familiar with the platform
I know I picked a terrible time getting into the game, it is what it is though

Have all the parts to finish my lower.  
Actually was trying to do that last night, and realized I somehow lost the detent for the safety/selector switch I'll have to order an oops kits, unless I can find one local. Stinks because the rest of my parts came Wednesday

I'm going for a 5.56 with probably a 16inch barrel. I have been grabbing ammo as I find it, which so far has only been 55 grain, so I might grab a 1:12 barrel as I believe that will be the easiest ammo to find going forward as well.

So far I have an Anderson stripped lower, MOE trigger guard, selector switch, mag catch and the pivot/take down pins from a CMMG LPK, Timney Impact trigger, Magpul MOE carbine stock, Aero Precision carbine buffer tube assembly, and an MOE grip

Not really going for a budget build (hence the Timney trigger) but not going all out, top of the line either.  Will probably upgrade some of those parts later, like the grip and selector.
But I am trying to hurry ang get this built. The grip was given to me and the LPK was the fastest way to get what I needed.

I'll throw up a pic of the lower once it's completed … which will be as soon as I find a new selector detent....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I would stick with 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 for the barrel.  They will shoot 55-gr just fine and you won’t be limited to the light bullets.

Gotta think a 1:12 is almost harder to find these days!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, good to know. I didn't want to be limited with the 1:12 but 55 is all I can find.
We got a Sportsman Warehouse recently and they usually have the 20 round boxes of 55 grain. I always grab some when they have it
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I might grab a 1:12 barrel
View Quote

Why?  I have two 7 twist 5.56 barrels, a 16 and a 20, and both shoot raggedy holes @ 100 meters with my 55 grain SP handloads.  Don't buy into the BS about over-stabilizing.  You will be able to shoot a wider vairety of bullets with a faster twist.  Don't handicap yourself.

Also, for the detent check out Damage Industries.  No need to buy a whole oops kit for one detent.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why?  I have two 7 twist 5.56 barrels, a 16 and a 20, and both shoot raggedy holes @ 100 meters with my 55 grain SP handloads.  Don't buy into the BS about over-stabilizing.  You will be able to shoot a wider vairety of bullets with a faster twist.  Don't handicap yourself.

Also, for the detent check out Damage Industries.  No need to buy a whole oops kit for one detent.
View Quote

Thanks.

I am glad to hear about the barrel.  it's good to hear from experience that the 1:12 isn't necessary because I didn't want to be limited

I have found a few sites that sell  just the detent, but with shipping, it jumps up the price. Was thinking maybe buying hte oops kit for like $10 then I have the spare parts
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top