Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/10/2018 11:45:10 AM EDT
This will be my first AR. My main use for this will be killing the coons and coyotes that inevitably go after my chickens. The coop is about 100-120 yards depending on where I stand. As a secondary note I'm hoping to throw a different upper on it for a hog hunt next year. I have very little knowledge with this stuff and gained the vast majority of my information from the internet, so if I should use a different part please let me know.

M4E1 Stripped lower
Gisselle AR15 Mil-spec lower parts kit
Gisselle SSA-E (I already was given this part)
JP Enterprises AR-15 Low mass Bolt Carrier Assembly (The wife is recoil shy so I figure a little extra money spent here might be worth it as she does like going to the range with me.)

Aero Precision AR-15 stripped upper receiver
Superlative Arms Adjustable gas block
Vltor IMOD Modstock
Giselle rail ( I would definitely like more suggestions for rails)
Barrel? Ive seen a lot of people suggest Krieger Barrels But I feel like this might be overkill especially for a first AR. I could really use suggestions here.
Raptor-LT Ambidextrous Charging Handle (I was given this already)
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
For small game, id go with 1:12 barrel and use some varmint loads 49-50 gr ammo.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
After 8 rifles and thousands of dollars chasing gimmicks and trendy parts my advice is.

Buy the cheapest m4 ish you can find.

Shoot it

Then start a personalized build.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Given your base platform, why not go with an aero complete upper (m4e1 or atlas r1)? BA barrels are gtg.  High value, rigid, accurate, durable, reliable.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Some suggestions:

Barrel: Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile or Faxon Gunner profiles are my favorite check them out.

Muzzle devise: VG6 (part of Aero Precision) best performance / value IMO.

Safety: Radian Talon, again best performance / value.

Handgaurds: I typically go with the Aero Precision M4E1 with the Gen 2 M-lok as there attachment design is super rigid but for a normal upper I like the Texas company STNGR. They are a good performance / value option as well as Midwest Industries (Combat rail).

Stocks / grips: Magpul makes everything one could need / want,  I’ve never found a different company’s products that would cause me to switch.

Optics: Primary Arms ACSS reticle options have been great for me, give them a look, your going to need glass right?

Sounds like you have a great build shaping up and hope this helps a bit. Don’t worry, after you get this one built you’ll think of some things you want to change and end up building a dozen...

They are like potato chips

This is the best site for info, be sure to check out the build guides and welcome aboard.

ETA: There are so many vendors out there it can be overwhelming. This is my GTG vendor list:

Primary Arms (optics, parts)
Schuyler Arms (builder sets, everything Aero)
Arm or Ally ( barrels, bcg)
Right to Bear ( barrels, bcg)
Wing Tactical ( specialty items)
WC Armory ( bcg )
Palmetto State Armory ( for certain deals)
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditch the low mass carrier and get a Surefire Pro Comp.

Stick with a 1-7 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Cost.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
For what your intended use is,  don't waste your money on an adjustable gas block especially on a .223/5.56. A standard block or barrel will do just fine. Use the money toward ammo or something else.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I would say that the low mass bcg is not needed, as there is very little recoil with the .225/5.56 round as it is and you can tune the standard bcg with proper buffer and spring with that adjustable gas block. If you really want a light weight bolt carrier I would get one from Right to bear or Aim surplus You could get a LaRue barrel, Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel or get a Larue Ultimate Upper kit

As for rails it's more of personal choice on length, looks and need. If you wanted a cheaper rail you could look at ALG rails. I have a Geissele rail on my SBR and they are nice rails.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a Larue Barrel
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Parts list is solid.

I personally would go with just a brake instead of a low mass carrier. You could put a dead air or Surefire brake on and be ready for when you get a suppressor.

I’ve never been a fan of vltor stocks but you can’t knock their durability.

Krieger is a lot of barrel for your first rifle. I prefer faxon gunner barrels but ballistic advantage Hanson barrels are good to. If you order from aim surplus these come with a pinned gas block. You don’t really need an adjustable gas block. You could just tune with springs/buffers or an adjustable carrier and have a factory pinned gas block.

In fact I’m in the deer stand and I just shot 2 hogs with my 7.62x39 AR that has a M4e1 upper/lower, geissele parts kit, faxon Gunner barrel, and dead Air Sandman S.

Make sure you get the M4e1 upper too to match
https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-M4E1-Threaded-Assembled-Upper-Receiver-APAR700201AC.htm

Dead air muzzle brake
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/sandman-keymount-muzzle-brakes-prod87181.aspx

Faxon 16” gunner barrel with pinned gas block
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XFX15A58M16NGQ&name=Faxon+Firearms+16+IN.+Gunner+.223%2f5.56+4150+QPQ+Nitride+Barrel&groupid=8945

Here’s my 7.62x39 AR I mentioned with a pig I killed this morning
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#12]
recoil shy
View Quote
It's a .223, for crying out loud........
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The only time you should go with a low mass bolt carrier is if you shoot only one particular brand of ammo, and you're tuning the gun around that round's characteristics.  A gun that's going to be used from everything from a skunk or raccoon up to hog is required to operate properly off a broad range of ammo, from the cheapest stuff to the premium stuff.  Besides, .223 has little recoil, lesser recoil is perceived in a mid-length or rifle length gas system.

A 1:7 or 1:8 twist will stabilize anything that fits in the magazine.  If you want to shoot 80's and 90's, get a .224 Valkyrie
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#15]
You would be fine with a standard common barrel. No reason to over spend on it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I just placed the orders. This is what I ended up with.

M4E1 Stripped lower
Gisselle AR15 Mil-spec lower parts kit
Gisselle SSA-E (I already was given this part)
AIM Surplus AR/M16 .223/5.56 NiB 9310 MPI Bolt Carrier Group
M4E1 stripped upper receiver
Vltor IMOD Modstock
Aero Precision  Enhanced M-LOK Handguards, Gen 2
16" 5.56 BA Hanson Midlength AR 15 Barrel w/ Lo Pro, Performance Series (.625" Gas Block Journal) (1:7 twist)
Raptor-LT Ambidextrous Charging Handle (I was given this already)
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a great build. I have that barrel. Last time I took it to the range I shot some .5 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards with handloads.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top