Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/10/2018 9:06:35 PM EDT
This is my first AR build, although i've bought an AR before. I wanted to try to make a very high quality AR, there was no budget for this build. Just waiting on the receivers and handguard from cerakoteing then i'll be assembling it! I'll include pictures when done. Hows the parts list look?

Wicked Weaponry
•CMMG lower parts kit
•F1 Ambi Selector
•Strike Industries Ultimate Dust Cover
•TimberCreekOutdoors Extnd Mag Release
•SLR Solo Ultralight 15” Handguard
•Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch
Northeast Munitions
•F4 Defense Ambi Receiver set
•Primary Weapon Systems Tube, Nut, End plate
•CMC Anti walk pins
•Q Cherry Bomb
Shooters Outpost
•Magpul K2+
•Geissele Super 42
•Radian Raptor SD
Primary Arms
•MFT Battlelink
•Strike Industries Forward Assist
•Superlative Arms Adj Gas block
•AR Gold Trigger
Faxon Firearms
•16” Gunner 5.56
Blue Force Gear
•Custom Sling
Sharps Rifle Co
•XPB BCG
Q
•Trash Panda
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
3k and no noveske barrel??
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Op seems familiar.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It isn't built yet sir, parts are sitting in a box at my house while the other parts are getting cerakoted
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
even with a suppressor the parts don't seem to be 3k worth.. unless you are paying someone to assemble things?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
even with a suppressor the parts don't seem to be 3k worth.. unless you are paying someone to assemble things?
View Quote
Well i guess its borderline, $2965 not including a sling i ordered for it, havent bought a sight yet, or BUIS.

Wicked Weaponry
•CMMG lower parts kit $42
•F1 Ambi Selector $65
•Strike Industries Ultimate Dust Cover $16
•TimberCreekOutdoors Extnd Mag Release $21
•SLR Solo Ultralight 15” Handguard $230
•Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch $14
Total: $578
Northeast Munitions
•F4 Defense Ambi Receiver set $450
•Primary Weapon Systems Tube, Nut, End plate $94
•CMC Anti walk pins $15
•Q Cherry Bomb $80
Total: $639
Shooters Outpost
•Magpul K2+ $20
•Geissele Super 42 $65
•Radian Raptor SD $100
Total: $185
Primary Arms
•MFT Battlelink $50
•Strike Industries Forward Assist $18
•Superlative Arms Adj Gas block $90
•AR Gold Trigger $240
Total: $368
Faxon Firearms
•16” Gunner 5.56 $175
Blue Force Gear
•Custom Sling $84
Sharps Rifle Co
•XPB BCG $170
Q
•Trash Panda $850
Total
$2,965 w/ Can
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry...but this is a waste of money on something you will never get back. Resale value of a non factory build is terrible. Always has been.

$3K???? You can buy an uber high quality factory gun vs a this tacticool ninja party gun...each their own I guess.

Should have just bought this:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-suurg-kit/

and add this:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/

And you would have still come out cheaper than a Frankenstein build.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It isn't built yet sir, parts are sitting in a box at my house while the other parts are getting cerakoted
View Quote
TFS Quotables I'm sorry, we don't give a fuck

> $230 handguard
> $240 trigger
> $450 receiver set
> $42 lower parts kit
> $16 dust cover
> $84 sling
> Nigh $3k total build

Yet only a $175 barrel.

You do you, OP...you do you... I honestly hope that you love the way it looks and performs because there's a fair number of places here that you well overpaid. Sorry, it just be how it do.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I built one with a stainless barrell for about $500... I'm happy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:11:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think I built one with a stainless barrell for about $500... I'm happy.
View Quote
I've got about $3k planned for my SBR after suppressor and two stamps, but that build is coming in at <22in and <6lbs loaded with optic, light, and sling while still maintaining a 250yd expected effective range.

I can get expensive premium builds, but, I don't quite get this one. Just hope that it's everything that OP wants, he's the one actually shooting it after all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Talk about a waste of money, I have built a couple of dozen AR over the last couple of years and have at the most $500 in the best one, there is no reason to spend that much on an AR.

$3000

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree, or Larue
No way 3K
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#13]
He's supporting the industry... Nothing wrong with that. Pick your parts, build it how you like!

I work in the manufacturing industry. The way people complain about prices here and what's considered "expensive" is just insane.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#14]
If you like it, that's all that matters.

Personally I would've forgone some of the knickknacks and put more money into a barrel from Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja, Shilen.

Add the other junk as you shoot it and decide what you need.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Thats like putting a $2000 stereo in a $500 car.Faxon?really?You could have just bought a JP upper, good hyperfire trigger, and anderson the rest, and had alot better rifle, cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I wanted to try to make a very high quality AR, there was no budget for this build.
View Quote
Meh.

I would have focused more on the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He's supporting the industry... Nothing wrong with that. Pick your parts, build it how you like!

I work in the manufacturing industry. The way people complain about prices here and what's considered "expensive" is just insane.
View Quote
For me at least, it's not that his rifle's expensive - like I said, my SBR will be past his budget by the time it's done.

It's that he's dropping all this on his first AR. As I'm sure most of us are well aware, your first AR rarely ever stays how you build it, because the more you work with and shoot the thing you'll learn more precisely what you like. I do hope that OP loves the hell out of this thing, because I don't want to see him end up with $4k into a $1500 rifle and a big box of parts to get sold at a 50% loss on the EE.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't have that tied up in my 3 gun rifle and it has an $800 JP barrel and $900 worth of Trijicon on top....

I mean whatever makes you happy, but I feel like you went out of your way to pick the most expensive stuff, not most important. I would be more impressed if you had a PSA you dropped a decent barrel into, used quality glass, and had 3 cases of ammo worth of drills and training through it.

thanks for supporting the 2A and eventually being someone I can buy used stuff from for pennies on the dollar!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well i guess its borderline, $2965 not including a sling i ordered for it, havent bought a sight yet, or BUIS.

Wicked Weaponry
•CMMG lower parts kit $42
•F1 Ambi Selector $65
•Strike Industries Ultimate Dust Cover $16
•TimberCreekOutdoors Extnd Mag Release $21
•SLR Solo Ultralight 15” Handguard $230
•Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch $14
Total: $578
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Good for you!  I hope you enjoy it.  I would agree with most that shifting priorities to a different barrel is a good idea but I have a better idea:  Buy a pallet of ammo and burn up the Gunner barrel first - then buy a new one!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Well this was my first build, and a portion of the parts were just bought at local gun stores, I'd just be looking at their AR parts walls and choose parts I liked. I went with faxon because they had good reviews and had a profile I was going for. Take away the billet receivers and can and this turns into a sub $2k gun. Maybe I overpaid for some parts, but that's because I bought at local small shops, so at least I was giving them business. Barrels are easy to swap if I decide the faxon sucks, no big deal. And this again is my first piece by piece build, it's a learning curve, I don't know what's best, I only know what reviews say online, and know what I liked the look of in store. There'll be more builds after this one, and I'm sure they'll get better each time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well this was my first build, and a portion of the parts were just bought at local gun stores, I'd just be looking at their AR parts walls and choose parts I liked. I went with faxon because they had good reviews and had a profile I was going for. Take away the billet receivers and can and this turns into a sub $2k gun. Maybe I overpaid for some parts, but that's because I bought at local small shops, so at least I was giving them business. Barrels are easy to swap if I decide the faxon sucks, no big deal. And this again is my first piece by piece build, it's a learning curve, I don't know what's best, I only know what reviews say online, and know what I liked the look of in store. There'll be more builds after this one, and I'm sure they'll get better each time.
View Quote
As long as you are happy with it and learn about the platform all is good IMO.  Everyone will have an opinion, just need to have thick skin around here sometimes.  There is nothing wrong with the Faxon barrel, it will most likely be a shooter and get you MOA groups.

I think the point some people are trying to make is you could have saved some money and gotten a better value if you researched a little bit first.  I personally would never drop that much on a receiver set and would have looked artound for sales on other parts.  It is cool to support the local shops if you can do so.  I always try as well, but for some things (mostly ar15 parts) i can find way better deals online.  Just use this as a learning experience, shoot the shit out of your gun, and you will know what features are important next time.  Splurge on some areas (barrel, trigger) and be more conservative on others

It is also better to come here first BEFORE you buy the parts or build for opinions.  That way you can compare various recommendations and maybe suggestions on where to buy things a little cheaper.  In the end it is YOUR gun, so if you are happy all is good
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As long as you are happy with it and learn about the platform all is good IMO.  Everyone will have an opinion, just need to have thick skin around here sometimes.  There is nothing wrong with the Faxon barrel, it will most likely be a shooter and get you MOA groups.

I think the point some people are trying to make is you could have saved some money and gotten a better value if you researched a little bit first.  I personally would never drop that much on a receiver set and would have looked artound for sales on other parts.  It is cool to support the local shops if you can do so.  I always try as well, but for some things (mostly ar15 parts) i can find way better deals online.  Just use this as a learning experience, shoot the shit out of your gun, and you will know what features are important next time.  Splurge on some areas (barrel, trigger) and be more conservative on others

It is also better to come here first BEFORE you buy the parts or build for opinions.  That way you can compare various recommendations and maybe suggestions on where to buy things a little cheaper.  In the end it is YOUR gun, so if you are happy all is good
View Quote
Thanks for the input, I'll definitely check in here next time before I purchase parts. I am kinda worried the build won't be as I hoped but I guess we'll see. There's always next time. I don't even know my goal for this build other than building my own AR from each component. Like I don't even know what this AR will be good at, IE battle rifle, competition, just a plinker, I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely check in here next time before I purchase parts. I am kinda worried the build won't be as I hoped but I guess we'll see. There's always next time. I don't even know my goal for this build other than building my own AR from each component. Like I don't even know what this AR will be good at, IE battle rifle, competition, just a plinker, I don't know.
View Quote
For the most part you've got a fair amount of competition-oriented parts on there. Bring it on out to a Cola Warrior event and see how it does!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds good OP.

I wont beat the dead horse, but a barrel is one of the most important things for a rifle.

Nothing wrong with a faxon imo.

Enjoy the build and the new rifle.

Next: invest in a quality optic and ammo, ammo, ammo
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#27]
A $3000 AR-15

Daniel Defense DDM4V7 - $1500
Geissele S-3G trigger - $240
Aimpoint T1 - $600
Magpul STR Stock - $70
Flashlight - $200
ASR Mount/Muzzle Device - $70-150
MS4 Sling - $80
Raptor Charging Handle - $70

That's right at $2800ish, without sales tax, $2999.80 with 6% sales tax

Suppressor - $800

just an example of how I would want to spend $3k.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I have to agree with whats already been said.  For that kinda money, you could have gotten a bangin' factory gun like a LaRue.  There's a very, very small chance that your home build will be remotely as reliable and accurate as a higher end factory gun.
Its your money and all.  But nobody but you will ever look at that gun and say money well spent.

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A $3000 AR-15

Daniel Defense DDM4V7 - $1500
Geissele S-3G trigger - $240
Aimpoint T1 - $600
Magpul STR Stock - $70
Flashlight - $200
ASR Mount/Muzzle Device - $70-150
MS4 Sling - $80
Raptor Charging Handle - $70

That's right at $2800ish, without sales tax, $2999.80 with 6% sales tax

Suppressor - $800

just an example of how I would want to spend $3k.
View Quote
Here's how I'm planning to spend it. $3,678 after suppressor and stamps, not after tax and shipping, and not including a reloading setup because wildcat. But sub 7lbs suppressed with 20rds or sub 6lbs for ready to go in a backpack while still holding 2-250yd ballistics, I'm pretty okay with dropping nigh $3k on that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I mean seriously...its nothing but a tacticool make you feel good build...secondly...that is the wrong barrel for a suppressor but I digress.

You seriously could have bought a nice factory DD, Larue SUURG or LMT MRP setup and be better off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Can opener or bottle opener?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I mean seriously...its nothing but a tacticool make you feel good build...secondly...that is the wrong barrel for a suppressor but I digress.

You seriously could have bought a nice factory DD, Larue SUURG or LMT MRP setup and be better off.
View Quote
didnt know barrels effected suppressing
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

didnt know barrels effected suppressing
View Quote
When you're running the lightweight pencil profile barrels, you can be more susceptible to POI shift between shooting suppressed and unsuppressed due to the additional weight added all the way on the end. This can be mitigated with lightweight suppressors, so if you're running an Energetic Armament Vox-S or a Q Trash Panda or such, you might not see anything. But if you're running a Huntertown Arms or a Dead Air Sandman-L, you might find yourself off by a bit of a margin. This can get worse as your barrel heats up.

Not something everyone experiences. But if you throw a suppressor on there and start having accuracy issues, that may be a part of it.

But despite all the ribbing you're getting here....we still want pics.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When you're running the lightweight pencil profile barrels, you can be more susceptible to POI shift between shooting suppressed and unsuppressed due to the additional weight added all the way on the end. This can be mitigated with lightweight suppressors, so if you're running an Energetic Armament Vox-S or a Q Trash Panda or such, you might not see anything. But if you're running a Huntertown Arms or a Dead Air Sandman-L, you might find yourself off by a bit of a margin. This can get worse as your barrel heats up.

Not something everyone experiences. But if you throw a suppressor on there and start having accuracy issues, that may be a part of it.

But despite all the ribbing you're getting here....we still want pics.
View Quote
Ah i see, thanks.
I just priced out my next build, "battle rifle", came out to $1690, using parts most here would probably stand behind, DD, BCM, Spikes, Lantac, CMMG, yada yada.

I'll post up pictures as soon as i get the parts back from cerakote and i assemble it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
And fpni
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ah i see, thanks.
I just priced out my next build, "battle rifle", came out to $1690, using parts most here would probably stand behind, DD, BCM, Spikes, Lantac, CMMG, yada yada.

I'll post up pictures as soon as i get the parts back from cerakote and i assemble it.
View Quote
So...you are building a $3K rifle...then spending another $1700 for a "battle rifle"...why the flip not just buy a high end, factory gun and be done with it...sounds like an epic waste of money...but it is yours so...there is that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So...you are building a $3K rifle...then spending another $1700 for a "battle rifle"...why the flip not just buy a high end, factory gun and be done with it...sounds like an epic waste of money...but it is yours so...there is that.
View Quote
buying a factory rifle doesnt make the rifle yours. building lets you choose everything you want.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

buying a factory rifle doesnt make the rifle yours. building lets you choose everything you want.
View Quote
What?!?!? Don't be a tactical range ninja. Probably too late for that....

Instead of spending another $1700 bucks on a "battle rifle"...go to trainings and buy ammo....
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ah i see, thanks.

View Quote
Two quick things:

1) Shoot at least 1k rounds through this build first. You'll learn a lot about what does and doesn't work in general and for you specifically.

2) Throw up a parts list here before buying anything. You'll get a fair bit of feedback from people that really do know what they're talking about.

Remember, every penny you save is extra ammo/training.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#40]
$2150 for the rifle isn't terrible, but a KAC or Noveske factory rifle could of been had for a similar price.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Here's how I'm planning to spend it. $3,678 after suppressor and stamps, not after tax and shipping, and not including a reloading setup because wildcat. But sub 7lbs suppressed with 20rds or sub 6lbs for ready to go in a backpack while still holding 2-250yd ballistics, I'm pretty okay with dropping nigh $3k on that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where are you getting a Trijicon Acog TA33 for $575?

Prices in this thread are tending to be MSRP as OP said he bought from a local store, obviously things can be cheaper used.

Also can't call something you already own as $0 cost as you at one point, paid for it.

I added up the parts you listed and their MSRP as $3550 pre-tax

Quoted:

I built an AR. I feel the factory DD rifle I spent time with and tinkered with the trigger and furniture and optics makes it more mine than the one I built (using DD parts)
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Prices in this thread are tending to be MSRP as OP said he bought from a local store, obviously things can be cheaper used.
View Quote
Already have it. Everything marked green is already collected. The EE is a beautiful place, especially when you aren't too concerned about manufacturing date.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#43]
For what it's worth, this is the "battle rifle" parts list i came up with

16” DD CHF Midlength $289
Spike’s crusader lower $115
BCM MCMR 15” $199
LPK $49
Geissele SSA $240
Super 42 $65
Buffer tube $50
Magpul SLS $70
Gas block $89
Gas tube $22
Cherry Bomb $80
Lantac ebcg $270
Ambi selector $48
Spikes upper assy $104

Can get most on Primary Arms.
Total: $1,690
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Already have it. Everything marked green is already collected. The EE is a beautiful place, especially when you aren't too concerned about manufacturing date.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but MSRP prices are $3550. The whole thread has been on the understanding of new pricing, not used/discounted.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never heard of half the manufacturers you selected
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, this is the "battle rifle" parts list i came up with

16” DD CHF Midlength $289 Rosco Bloodline, $150
Spike’s crusader lower $115 You can get lowers much cheaper than this that work as well or better.
BCM MCMR 15” $199 Aero, $160. Troy, $140. ALG, $145
LPK $49 LPK's w/o triggers can be found for $30 or less.
Geissele SSA $240 You can find these for $200 on sale or the EE. Or come to Cola Warrior and get one free. Or just get a Del-Ton two stage that's 90% the trigger for $100
Super 42 $65 Springco Blue for $20 and your choice of buffer weight.
Buffer tube $50 Again you can get these for closer to $30
Magpul SLS $70 B5/BCM Sopmod, BCM Gunfighter, $55ish.
Gas block $89 Not bad if it's adjustable. If non adjustable then we can halve this, easy
Gas tube $22 Sweet merciful goodness. Gas tubes are a $10 part.
Cherry Bomb $80 this is $75 direct from Q
Lantac ebcg $270 Toolcraft, $80. BCM, $170. WMD, $175
Ambi selector $48 Do you or will you ever even shoot left handed?
Spikes upper assy $104 Aero, $80.

Can get most on Primary Arms.
Total: $1,690
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Right, but MSRP prices are $3550. The whole thread has been on the understanding of new pricing, not used/discounted.
View Quote
Fair enough. That's just the pricing that I managed to collect it at, because I'm not dropping MSRP pricing on things when there's no reason to.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#48]
....daamn....
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#49]
If you want to stay local, more Granite Ridge less Shooters Outpost.  They are great for looking but not a fan of their prices or ID for a mag thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fair enough. That's just the pricing that I managed to collect it at, because I'm not dropping MSRP pricing on things when there's no reason to.
View Quote
Completely agreed. I bought all my stuff used and got a "$3k rifle" for $1300.

ETA: except the suppressor
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top