Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2023 2:02:42 PM EDT
I have a higher end skeleton bcg I got years ago and just never finished the light weight build. This weekend I put the BCG in a rifle I knew worked just for the hell of it and it would not run. I put two other bcgs in and it ran fine. (Carbine, all factory stuff). So if I decided to use this BCG, do I increase or lower the buffer/spring weight?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a higher end skeleton bcg I got years ago and just never finished the light weight build. This weekend I put the BCG in a rifle I knew worked just for the hell of it and it would not run. I put two other bcgs in and it ran fine. (Carbine, all factory stuff). So if I decided to use this BCG, do I increase or lower the buffer/spring weight?
View Quote

Turn down the gas and run a lighter spring.
You're probably outrunning the magazine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you. I have several springs and also one of those KAK buffer kits but did not want to waste more ammo going the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
There’s not much point if you’re not using adjustable gas.  To do so without adjustable gas would likely see you needing to add buffer weight, negating the whole point of the LW BC in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's zero point if you're not using adjustable gas.
View Quote
It is just sitting in a bin and I have another ar I just made that needs a bcg and I don't feel like creating a WTT ad and going to the post office. I just want to use it and it be reliable. I would assume have a cheap tool craft. I do however also have an adjustable gas block I could use.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is just sitting in a bin and I have another ar I just made that needs a bcg and I don't feel like creating a WTT ad and going to the post office. I just want to use it and it be reliable. I would assume have a cheap tool craft. I do however also have an adjustable gas block I could use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's zero point if you're not using adjustable gas.

Adjustable gas will make it work.  I will caveat that decreasing reciprocating weight will shrink the operating envelope in adverse conditions.  

I use one in a precision bench gun where absolute recoil reduction is a primary factor.  I would not use one in something that absolutely needed to function regardless of conditions.  Less mass equals more sluggish operation in cold and/or dirty conditions and you will start seeing malfunctions due to that earlier than you would with standard components.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Adjustable gas will make it work.  I will caveat that decreasing reciprocating weight will shrink the operating envelope in adverse conditions.  

I use one in a precision bench gun where absolute recoil reduction is a primary factor.  I would not use one in something that absolutely needed to function regardless of conditions.  Less mass equals more sluggish operation in cold and/or dirty conditions and you will start seeing malfunctions due to that earlier than you would with standard components.
View Quote
Ok, that is golden information for me. I had no idea. Now that you mention it, the gun I stuck it in has probably ran a few thousands rounds without a good cleaning. Thank you very much. I will back up and punt now lol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of this. Put the adjustable gas block on it and a light spring and buffer. Then tune the gas for reliable function. It should be a sweet, soft shooter. Not the best end of days, war fighter gun though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I've built a handful of ARs with LW BCGs and I have found a lot of success with rifle and intermediate gas length barrels.

My first 20" with a Faxon gunner barrel had a Voodoo Low Mass carrier and it shot nearly as smoothly as a KAC 16" I had.

My most recent assemblage used a fluted BA 18" SS barrel with rifle gas port and a Young manufacturing LW carrier.  I have not adjusted the gas block at all on that gun.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top