Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2020 7:09:44 PM EDT
I'm planning to mount a flashlight on my carbine at the 1-2 o'clock position, so that the bezel is flush or slighly further extended than the muzzle device.
This should give me a combination of good ergonomics no shadowing and hopefully not too much carbon buildup on the lens.

Now, what I'm concerned with is it's influence on recoil pattern. Typically rifles/carbines recoil high and right on me (right handed shooter). I can supress that to some extend with modifying my stance but eliminating it completely results in a stance that I don't like because it tends to become awkward and tense.

Now typically I run all my asymmetrical brakes indexed to about 1o'clock, to dial most of the horizontal movement out.
However the light would possibly block a portion of the gasses in the 1 to 2 o'clock range, creating an asymmetry thats now HELPING the muzzle to rise up and right.

Do you have knowledge on light- muzzle device setup and willing to share your observations, experiences and tips regarding setup, and/or possibly a recommendation for a muzzle device that helps control recoil to some extent but works well with such a flashlight setup?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
More blast and soot buildup is all you're going to have to worry about. It's a convex surface a  bit away from the muzzle so gasses will nearly entirely flow around it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My opinion is I'd rather protect the light (within reason) and not worry about "Shadow". The shadow isn't a black hole of invisibility, it's just less bright. There's still plenty of light (especially indoors with all the surfaces it bounces off) to ID, shoot, etc...
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answers so far!

I wasn't too concerned damaging the flashlight, since I thought modern, gun mount advertised, lights should withstand the abuse. I planned on getting a Streamlight HL-X after seeing Sage Dynamics review on it.
The positioning the way I planned solves two problems for me. First, it supresses shadowing (which might not be the most critical aspect but) two, it allows me to grab the carbine the very same way I'm used to grab my competiton PCC. I do have a lot of experience shooting that PCC and build a lot of muscle memory with it, so changing the way I grip the 223 carbine with flashlight (which is otherwise set up very similar) might be the worst compromise I could make setting it up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Using a brake on a short carbine is not needed. Its going to piss off anyone you might shoot with in a team setting. The small amount of resistance the light will remove from your brake is not going to be very noticeable. The gasses have slowed and spread by the time they hit the light. Also an HLX is pretty much at the bottom of toughness for duty tough lights. Id be more concerned wuth a top port pointed directly at your light. This is on an SBR too isnt it?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top