Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2018 2:05:44 PM EDT
I was thinking about picking up a Colt AR from CDNN.  But, it has a fixed front sight.  Will standard optics mounts put the sight out of view, or would I have to pick a 1x optic to match the set up?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
As said, with any sort of magnification your eyes ignore the front sight the way your eyes ignore your nose (which you can always see).  If you're worried about the FSB with a non-magnified optic then go for 'absolute co-witness' and put the dot on the blade as though you were aiming normally.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You really need an adjustable stock with a magnified optics, otherwise you can't get the proper eye relief when shooting from different positions.

Red dot sights work great with fixed or adjustable stocks. I started out using co-witnessed mounts and recently switched to lower 1/3 and feel it's best for my application.

If your variable powered scope has an illuminated center dot consider buying a mount that places the scope centerline at 1.5" if you want to co-witness on 1x or 1.5x. As already mentioned, higher magnification makes the post disappear, at most leave a small ghost like shadow in the very bottom of the scope.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top