Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ajacobs:
I am sure each situation is unique and there are people who advocate for each like Sage Dynamics tends to be the turn it on and leave it on type instructor, and others are momentary.  It is probably just a big mental jerk off for me anyway as the likelihood I will ever have to use it is next to none, but still I would venture to guess you can ditch the concept of momentary when it gets to the point that it is hot.  I am sure though scenarios can be what ifed to no end.
View Quote
Agree for home defense it probably doesn't matter - having it is 99% of the battle
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
For all those saying the x300u doesn't have enough throw for rifle duty, then that would suggest that the only surefire light out there that is sufficient is the DF while using the 18650 batteries and not the 123s.
View Quote

The Surefire M600V has roughly 20,000 LUX, ironically.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I was here looking around for ideas to switch up the light on my 10.5" to something a little more compact. It's got an ALG rail so I can't remember 100% if I can bolt a second rail at 12oclock. It's already got dd fixed sights on it.

I'm going to check when I get home. I've got an old x300 laying around not getting used so this might be a free solution
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:19:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunner-g] [#5]
Originally Posted By UnaStamus:
We had a lot of officers running pistol WMLs on issued patrol rifles, and beyond CQB or vehicle take-down range (inside 35yds), they were garbage.  Pistol WMLs are floodlights, and generally for longer range capabilities that you find with rifles, long range illumination is desirable.  As such, a lot of officers eventually got rid of the pistol WMLs for mounted handheld flashlights or dedicated rifle WMLs that had better throw.  I’ve attended, as well as instructor in, low light shooting courses where we put people onto targets at 100yds and further.  It becomes very apparently very quickly that positive target identification beyond about 75yds gets incredibly difficult and inconsistent with pistol WMLs because of their design.  If the rifle is strictly a HD gun, a pistol WML works just fine so long as you can operate it with both hands under stress.  

And if you run a Streamlight TLR, do yourself a favor and deactivate the strobe function.  It’s useless garbage.  

If it works for you, then have at it.  That said, every guy I’ve ever known seen that ran an Inforce on a LE duty gun (rifle or pistol) has gotten rid of it.  For pistol WMLs they’ve gone to SureFire, and for the rifle lights everyone has gone to various options ranging from SureFire to Cloud Defensive and Modlite.  Inforce lights have subpar performance.  Lower lumens, lower candela, spotty durability, no modularity and overall inferior to competitors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UnaStamus:
We had a lot of officers running pistol WMLs on issued patrol rifles, and beyond CQB or vehicle take-down range (inside 35yds), they were garbage.  Pistol WMLs are floodlights, and generally for longer range capabilities that you find with rifles, long range illumination is desirable.  As such, a lot of officers eventually got rid of the pistol WMLs for mounted handheld flashlights or dedicated rifle WMLs that had better throw.  I’ve attended, as well as instructor in, low light shooting courses where we put people onto targets at 100yds and further.  It becomes very apparently very quickly that positive target identification beyond about 75yds gets incredibly difficult and inconsistent with pistol WMLs because of their design.  If the rifle is strictly a HD gun, a pistol WML works just fine so long as you can operate it with both hands under stress.  

And if you run a Streamlight TLR, do yourself a favor and deactivate the strobe function.  It’s useless garbage.  

Originally Posted By takdriver:
I have considered the inforce wml at 12 o’clock. Does anyone have an opinion of that light? My hope is that it would be low enough profile that it would work with a lpvo and also offset irons.

If it works for you, then have at it.  That said, every guy I’ve ever known seen that ran an Inforce on a LE duty gun (rifle or pistol) has gotten rid of it.  For pistol WMLs they’ve gone to SureFire, and for the rifle lights everyone has gone to various options ranging from SureFire to Cloud Defensive and Modlite.  Inforce lights have subpar performance.  Lower lumens, lower candela, spotty durability, no modularity and overall inferior to competitors.

I used to use the 12 o’clock mount position and if a company made an actual rifle WM to use at the twelve this would be great! I really really like this configuration! But this light doesn’t exist. I run my WMLs in the 1 o’clock position (orientated from looking down the rifle) and I train with this set up and the learning curve was very short switching from 12 to 1 o’clock. This is very natural for me now. I live in a rural area and a pistol light just doesn’t have the horsepower hat I need in a rual country setting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:41:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#6]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I was here looking around for ideas to switch up the light on my 10.5" to something a little more compact. It's got an ALG rail so I can't remember 100% if I can bolt a second rail at 12oclock. It's already got dd fixed sights on it.

I'm going to check when I get home. I've got an old x300 laying around not getting used so this might be a free solution
View Quote
@03RN

Work?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
@03RN

Work?
View All Quotes

@03RN

Work?

@fooboy

No, the rail on my 10.5 is the budget ALG rail and only has holes at the very end. I suppose I could drill some more...
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Since the barrel that is the same maybe you'll get lucky and find a V3 9 or 10 inch somewhere
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Does Unity still make the Exo?  I can’t find a black one in stock anywhere. It’s also only compatible with the A model?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Easy peasy
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 300u fits perfectly. My older 300 has the universal key mounted and I'm not sure where the P key is.
@fooboy
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:11:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#11]
That came out awesome. I like momentary-on in this setup by pushing the paddle forward (toward muzzle). The rocker action is too stiff to be useful IMO.

also - if you end up with any wiggle in x300 connection to rail you can trim a rail cover to shim between the DD sight and x300. See first pic in OP

ETA:  I think Surefire will send you a replacement key.
1-800-828-8809

@03RN

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Easy peasy
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220712_103403_jpg-2450013.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220712_103858_jpg-2450014.JPG
The 300u fits perfectly. My older 300 has the universal key mounted and I'm not sure where the P key is.
@fooboy
View Quote
@03RN

You still got this setup?  How's it holding up?
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]
After seeing an X300 Turbo in a store last week, I think it brings more viability to this application.

I was looking for another pistol light and new they were new and the candela was really high compared to other Surefires. It has one big hot spot and that's it. Very little spill. I think you'd be retarded to put one on a pistol, but I immediately thought it would be perfect for this application. I chose the standard x300u for pistol application because the immense spill fits carry gun stuff better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn't know about X300T. I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
@03RN

View All Quotes
Easy peasy
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220712_103403_jpg-2450013.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220712_103858_jpg-2450014.JPG
@fooboy
@03RN

I think I just shot it once to zero. I'm probably going to sell it just because it's a spare upper at this point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#16]
Well, I wanted to put a light on my suppressed gun and I really wanted to give a scout series a try but ended up back with the X300U.  

I wanted easy ambi activation but the added cost of tape switches and wire management puts a light package at like $400-500 dollars.  

I got another Ultra.  I did consider trying the new X300B-Turbo but I want to handle one first... I am more wanting this for 0-50 vs 100+Y.

Attachment Attached File

T2, SSA, Turbo K, DD 16 inch LW barrel, old school Mega upper/lower, X300U

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#17]
X300T -   650 Lumens - 66,000 candela (Intense spot, thrower)
X300U - 1000 Lumens - 11,000 candela (Floody)

From a video. 3 targets at 50 Y. Hard to see flanking targets with Turbo but the Turbo easily pushes past 100Y target.

I suppose it's really a question of do you want more of an inside/close quarters light or an outside light?

Ultra
Attachment Attached File

Turbo
Attachment Attached File

Turbo @ 100Y
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 5:01:54 AM EDT
[#18]
What about an X400V @ 12:00? I have this on my general purpose/shtf gun.

The optic sight picture isn't obstructed because it's so high to begin with. But the front sight post is blocked by the laser. I installed a blitzkreig chevron post, and as a backup sight, it allows reasonable accuracy at reasonably close distances via both eyes open shooting if the optic were to die.

and I really only use it in IR mode with the OKW on the side for white light. But it's nice to have a redundant white light on board if needed.

I hope they come out with a Turbo vampire.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 6:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#19]
It’s barely a 25m light.  Can it light up stuff farther?  Sure.  Positive ID something in a hand at those distances?  IMHO no.

It doesn’t belong on a rifle, any light that can’t get you to an acceptable zero distance doesn’t.

The new turbo would be a better fit, unless it’s a dedicated home defense rifle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
It's barely a 25m light.  Can it light up stuff farther?  Sure.  Positive ID something in a hand at those distances?  IMHO no.

It doesn't belong on a rifle, any light that can't get you to an acceptable zero distance doesn't.

The new turbo would be a better fit, unless it's a dedicated home defense rifle.
View Quote
"it" being...?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#21]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
"it" being...?
View Quote
I assume he means X300U.  He's making a fair point that it's not a long distance light but neither are most of the Surefire scout series (the X300U is basically the same as the M600U 2 cell scout).

I think the X300U is a fit for me (home, around home). I think it's acceptable at 50Y
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:09:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#22]
I assume he means X300U.  He's making a fair point that it's not a long distance light but neither are most of the Surefire scout series (the X300U is basically the same as the M600U 2 cell scout).

I think the X300U is a fit for me (home, around home). I think it's acceptable at 50Y
View Quote

Yep this.

I concur 50y for a known threat it will do the job.

For an unknown where you may have to see a small object in someone’s hands, I personally need something with a little more throw. You may be able to see better or that may not be as big of a concern for you as it is to me, so your light choice may not be the same as mine.  YMMV as they say.

I got spoiled with the PLHV2 and then the Rein 3.0. Just got a M640 turbo, and I’ve realized I am a candela guy, and really don’t care about the lumens.  

Personal preference along with personal requirements.   I’m appreciating the throw, and don’t feel I’m giving anything up going with candela over lumens.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Yep this.

I concur 50y for a known threat it will do the job.

For an unknown where you may have to see a small object in someone's hands, I personally need something with a little more throw. You may be able to see better or that may not be as big of a concern for you as it is to me, so your light choice may not be the same as mine.  YMMV as they say.

I got spoiled with the PLHV2 and then the Rein 3.0. Just got a M640 turbo, and I've realized I am a candela guy, and really don't care about the lumens.  

Personal preference along with personal requirements.   I'm appreciating the throw, and don't feel I'm giving anything up going with candela over lumens.
View Quote
All fair points.

The "known threat" is an interesting concept.

YMMV if you're LEO or have a diff set of concerns.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#24]

… I got spoiled with the PLHV2 and then the Rein 3.0. Just got a M640 turbo…
View Quote

The X300 Turbo that OP changed the thread title to has more candela at 66,000 than the PLHV2 (54k candela). It does lag behind the REIN 3.0 and M640DFT (both 100k candela).

For reference, the previous generation x300u is 11,300 candela and the M640DF is 16k candela.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By kx250ryder:

The X300 Turbo that OP changed the thread title to has more candela at 66,000 than the PLHV2 (54k candela). It does lag behind the REIN 3.0 and M640DFT (both 100k candela).

For reference, the previous generation x300u is 11,300 candela and the M640DF is 16k candela.
View Quote
The 600 lumen x300u was briefly produced and has 16k candela also. I have one (and the 1000L / 11k candela also)
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Didn't know about X300T. I'll have to check it out.
View Quote

The X300T is quite a bit better in the long gun application.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kx250ryder:

View Quote

Tracking on that, I own (or owned) every light you listed.  The new turbo's are quite impressive.

Even with a drop in lumens, I was shocked how evenly matched the 640 Turbo is compared to my 3.0's.

The X300 Turbo, outdoors, seems really really close to my PLHV2's, but with a tighter hot spot and not as much light outside of the hotspot.

They will all, however, do the job outdoors for 95% of users.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I just ditched my Modlites for X300 turbos at the 12 o'clock.  I've done chasing "best" and am adopting a "good enough and train" mentality.  the X300s are cross compatible with all of my pistols and are lightweight, share batteries with everything and durable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Primetime_1:
I just ditched my Modlites for X300 turbos at the 12 o'clock.  I've done chasing "best" and am adopting a "good enough and train" mentality.  the X300s are cross compatible with all of my pistols and are lightweight, share batteries with everything and durable.
View Quote
Yep

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone tried using a Modlite pl350 or their pdw350 like this?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By kilpat28:
Has anyone tried using a Modlite pl350 or their pdw350 like this?
View Quote

Lack of momentary killed the PL350 for me, but I suppose the PDW350 would work well with the right head and switching option.

I'm a fan of the X300T

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:48:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0gilthorpe] [#32]
The new turbos are what the last generation of x300s *should* have been after the 600 lumen model.

Really simultaniously sad and hilarious that modlite shot themselves in the foot with no momentary during that period and lost an easy takeover.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 0gilthorpe:
The new turbos are what the last generation of x300s *should* have been after the 600 lumen model.

Really simultaniously sad and hilarious that modlite shot themselves in the foot with no momentary during that period and lost an easy takeover.
View Quote

The shitfit they threw over reviewers' complaints about no momentary didn't help their case.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0gilthorpe] [#34]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

The shitfit they threw over reviewers' complaints about no momentary didn't help their case.
View All Quotes

They really need to channel their inner Joe Monday and just put out products and facts, skip social media altogether.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#35]

They really need to channel their inner Joe Monday and just put out products and facts, skip social media altogether.
View Quote

Maybe accept honest criticism with humility, and implement customer requested changes. Instead of severing business relationships with dealers and cutting off customers' warranty service.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Maybe accept honest criticism with humility, and implement customer requested changes. Instead of severing business relationships with dealers and cutting off customers' warranty service.
View All Quotes

Oh i agree, was just rying to be a bit more cordial about it. Stick to be being a business. Let your work speak for itself and all.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:01:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MONGO45] [#37]
A few months back a reconfigured my work rifle

Geissele 11.5 with T2 and 3x both in Larue mounts and X300 Turbo at 12 o’clock.

Slick setup that does everything I need from 0-200y

Around 3k through it now and it handles great.

Sub MOA from our issued 75gr Gold Dot ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't have any Surefires, but I do have some two TLR-RM2's, two TLR-HL's, and a TLR-RM2 Laser. (I just swapped out a TLR-RM2 for a green laser version).

So far, my favorite position without a doubt is 12:00.  Easy to use with either hand, no worries about blocking the light on a barrier (like at the 6:00 spot).  Equally useful around corners.

With the TLR-RM2's, I'm tempted to get rid of the tape switch since there is a push button on the back of the lights.

The only potential downfall I see with 12:00 (for me) is that I don't have back-up irons with this set-up.  Looks like Surefires have a way around this.
I've started the process of mitigating that by slowly moving over to a Romeo 4T and 4S (both have solar back-up, so they run in the light without batters), AND a TLR-RM2 with Laser.    That way if the optic fails, I still have the laser (hopefully) as a back-up...or I'm looking through the tube at the top of the laser itself.   That OD green/black 9" has a 4S for it now (instead of the 4H shown), and will eventually get a laser version of the TLR-RM2 it currently has.  

Another big benefit of going with 12:00 is that with a laser on top, both the optic and laser are zeroed and co-witnessed at 50 yards vertically. So there is no left to right paralax. With the laser sitting up high, it is actually closer to the sight height of the optic, and makes more sense when bullet rise and drop is considered.

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
I don't have any Surefires, but I do have some two TLR-RM2's, two TLR-HL's, and a TLR-RM2 Laser. (I just swapped out a TLR-RM2 for a green laser version).

So far, my favorite position without a doubt is 12:00.  Easy to use with either hand, no worries about blocking the light on a barrier (like at the 6:00 spot).  Equally useful around corners.

With the TLR-RM2's, I'm tempted to get rid of the tape switch since there is a push button on the back of the lights.

https://i.imgur.com/GdpnqcO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2bMd15x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/glOj1sp.jpg

The only potential downfall I see with 12:00 (for me) is that I don't have back-up irons with this set-up.  Looks like Surefires have a way around this.
I've started the process of mitigating that by slowly moving over to a Romeo 4T and 4S (both have solar back-up, so they run in the light without batters), AND a TLR-RM2 with Laser.    That way if the optic fails, I still have the laser (hopefully) as a back-up...or I'm looking through the tube at the top of the laser itself.   That OD green/black 9" has a 4S for it now (instead of the 4H shown), and will eventually get a laser version of the TLR-RM2 it currently has.  

Another big benefit of going with 12:00 is that with a laser on top, both the optic and laser are zeroed and co-witnessed at 50 yards vertically. So there is no left to right paralax. With the laser sitting up high, it is actually closer to the sight height of the optic, and makes more sense when bullet rise and drop is considered.

View Quote
I like those streamlight RM2s for a slick setup.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I like those streamlight RM2s for a slick setup.
View Quote
wish they made an IR version.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#41]
You guys are going to hate this
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#42]
What in the world

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#43]
What in the world

View Quote

Pinned flash hider so I don't have to deal with shenanigans.

Also fits in my rifle rack better
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Haha I know you can shoot but it's like you go out of your way to be a Luddite
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#45]
Haha I know you can shoot but it's like you go out of your way to be a Luddite
View Quote

Yeah I know. But before I was into "tactical" shit in the military I was a hunter and spent every minute in the woods. I dislike tactical rifles beyond their use/need in defending the Homeland. Give me woodstocked bolt actions or levers. John Taffin and Jack O'Connor or Elmer Keith.

And with that preference and experience I've learned it's really the Indian, not the arrow.

ETA ironic since it's a free floated AR with a wml and in the second pic there's 3 ARs with wmls and 2 or 3 with optics.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Yeah I know. But before I was into "tactical" shit in the military I was a hunter and spent every minute in the woods. I dislike tactical rifles beyond their use/need in defending the Homeland. Give me woodstocked bolt actions or levers. John Taffin and Jack O'Connor or Elmer Keith.

And with that preference and experience I've learned it's really the Indian, not the arrow.

ETA ironic since it's a free floated AR with a wml and in the second pic there's 3 ARs with wmls and 2 or 3 with optics.
View Quote
True the lack of light weight red dot though
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

That's a backup to a backup
If I'm grabbing a carbine then it has a PRO on it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:45:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#49]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
A few months back a reconfigured my work rifle

Geissele 11.5 with T2 and 3x both in Larue mounts and X300 Turbo at 12 o'clock.

Slick setup that does everything I need from 0-200y

Around 3k through it now and it handles great.

Sub MOA from our issued 75gr Gold Dot ammo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/IMG_0792_jpeg-2918980.JPG
View Quote
@mongo45

Should I get an x300T?  Is that an A or B?  I like the quick removal of the A but B seems better for AR rail.

Seems like X300U is better @ closer ranges, Turbo at longer.   Seems like a defensive gun benefits from the Ultra?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

I've used some Inforce stuff and it has been OK. I owned a super early APL that had the mount dissolved by Loctite, they replaced it with another part and it was A-OK. My brother has a WML-X and it seems to work fine as we haven't broken it yet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
Originally Posted By takdriver:
I have considered the inforce wml at 12 o’clock. Does anyone have an opinion of that light? My hope is that it would be low enough profile that it would work with a lpvo and also offset irons.

I've used some Inforce stuff and it has been OK. I owned a super early APL that had the mount dissolved by Loctite, they replaced it with another part and it was A-OK. My brother has a WML-X and it seems to work fine as we haven't broken it yet.

Since this thread is back I'll update this too, the WML-X just quit in his safe. It was fine then it wouldn't work.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top