BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/27/2020 9:36:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy]
This post is for the newer guys. I like this setup for the following reasons. But - should be done in conjunction with the Daniel Defense Front BUIS which helps protect the light battery door from hard impacts and shield against accidental activation.  Feel free to add any cons I missed.

Pros.
+ Ambi switches - Press forward (towards muzzle) on rocker for temp activation
+ Integrated mount - No extra cost / weight to purchase separate mount
+ Lightweight: 4 oz (including mount and batteries)
+ Low Profile: Doesn't add any bulk to profile and no chance of light backsplash off barrier
+ Bright: 1000 lumens
+ Suppressor or Barrel Shadow:  at 6:00 so doesn't cast a shadow in field of view
+ Bonus: Can be used on a pistol also
+ Cost: $220ish from some Arf vendors

Cons.
- No go if you use 12:00 mounted IR laser
- Rocker switch sucks for constant on (very stiff).  I don't use constant on but still ...
- Must remove light to change batteries
- No lockout mode
- I don't like sight picture using this setup with LPVO at lower magnification levels. No issues with 1x RDS (light bezel is out of sight / below buis ... see bottom pic)

Pinned 14.7 with 13 inch rail

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Good write up. It's the vickers lightweight carbine setup you can see from some of his YouTube videos. Another pro is since it's on the same axis as your sights you don't have to worry about when you stick your rifle around a barracade the light not making it past that barricade and blinding you when you turn it on if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:02:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By berkeleygiraffe:
Good write up. It's the vickers lightweight carbine setup you can see from some of his YouTube videos. Another pro is since it's on the same axis as your sights you don't have to worry about when you stick your rifle around a barracade the light not making it past that barricade and blinding you when you turn it on if that makes sense.
View Quote
Yeah I thought about that but didn't add it, but I will now. I'd capture that as no chance of light backsplash off a barrier

Also - the new streamlight RM1 and RM2 offerings would be a good candidate as well.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s a solid go to and has been. I remember in a lot of the old magpul videos dudes rocked it like that. I think there’s a company that makes a mount/shield for the switches as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toyoland66] [#4]
Originally Posted By rochelieux:
It’s a solid go to and has been. I remember in a lot of the old magpul videos dudes rocked it like that. I think there’s a company that makes a mount/shield for the switches as well.
View Quote

Unity tactical exo, helps prevent accidental activation and also protects the light body somewhat.

OP I like this setup, easy to use and ambidextrous.  Mine is on a 10.75 rail/ 11.5 barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably going to replace a WML with this setup. Have a couple of scouts with tape switches, but I just don't care for tape switches and 12 o'clock activation just feels right to me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have considered the inforce wml at 12 o’clock. Does anyone have an opinion of that light? My hope is that it would be low enough profile that it would work with a lpvo and also offset irons.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
I have considered the inforce wml at 12 o’clock. Does anyone have an opinion of that light? My hope is that it would be low enough profile that it would work with a lpvo and also offset irons.
View Quote

Depending on mount height, It’ll be visible on lower mag. Not too obtrusive. But visible.  My only gripe is I’ve seen a few of those have the head snap off below the threads. I think they’ve since updated them. But I wouldn’t rely on it for a hard use gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

I've used some Inforce stuff and it has been OK. I owned a super early APL that had the mount dissolved by Loctite, they replaced it with another part and it was A-OK. My brother has a WML-X and it seems to work fine as we haven't broken it yet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I ran a X300V at 12:00 in the same manner until I got my LAM.

It works, actually works pretty well, it’s just that a pistol light isn’t good at doing rifle light things as far as punching out and illuminating anything past 30-40 yards.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#10]
We had a lot of officers running pistol WMLs on issued patrol rifles, and beyond CQB or vehicle take-down range (inside 35yds), they were garbage.  Pistol WMLs are floodlights, and generally for longer range capabilities that you find with rifles, long range illumination is desirable.  As such, a lot of officers eventually got rid of the pistol WMLs for mounted handheld flashlights or dedicated rifle WMLs that had better throw.  I’ve attended, as well as instructor in, low light shooting courses where we put people onto targets at 100yds and further.  It becomes very apparently very quickly that positive target identification beyond about 75yds gets incredibly difficult and inconsistent with pistol WMLs because of their design.  If the rifle is strictly a HD gun, a pistol WML works just fine so long as you can operate it with both hands under stress.  

And if you run a Streamlight TLR, do yourself a favor and deactivate the strobe function.  It’s useless garbage.  

View Quote

If it works for you, then have at it.  That said, every guy I’ve ever known seen that ran an Inforce on a LE duty gun (rifle or pistol) has gotten rid of it.  For pistol WMLs they’ve gone to SureFire, and for the rifle lights everyone has gone to various options ranging from SureFire to Cloud Defensive and Modlite.  Inforce lights have subpar performance.  Lower lumens, lower candela, spotty durability, no modularity and overall inferior to competitors.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MONGO45] [#11]
The 12 o’clock setup for a Surefire X300U is good for home defense rifle but definitely has limitations.

I’ve got a couple rifles setup that way but on most of my rifles I use a SF Scout for better throw.

My work rifle has the SF Dual Fuel and is a great setup.

Attachment Attached File

Recent parts build I just rattle canned...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
The 12 o’clock setup for a Surefire X300U is good for home defense rifle but definitely has limitations.

I’ve got a couple rifles setup that way but on most of my rifles I use a SF Scout for better throw.

My work rifle has the SF Dual Fuel and is a great setup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86935/8E74F52B-736E-40CA-A8D7-BBC1DE5A4C41_jpe-1769270.JPG

Recent parts build I just rattle canned...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86935/086AA848-A9F4-421A-8359-BCBF61EF26AE_jpe-1772677.JPG
View Quote

While the DF scout 600/640 has better throw with 18650 batteries, its only slightly better than the x300 with 123 batteries. The X300 has more candela than the M300 scout and the same as the M600u.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ve always wanted to try this but for some reason never have. Would there be any other fixed front sights that fit the bill than the Daniel Defense?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Soberglitch:
I’ve always wanted to try this but for some reason never have. Would there be any other fixed front sights that fit the bill than the Daniel Defense?
View Quote

I picked up one of these.

They shipped quick too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:52:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#15]
Originally Posted By UnaStamus:
We had a lot of officers running pistol WMLs on issued patrol rifles, and beyond CQB or vehicle take-down range (inside 35yds), they were garbage.  Pistol WMLs are floodlights, and generally for longer range capabilities that you find with rifles, long range illumination is desirable.  As such, a lot of officers eventually got rid of the pistol WMLs for mounted handheld flashlights or dedicated rifle WMLs that had better throw.  I’ve attended, as well as instructor in, low light shooting courses where we put people onto targets at 100yds and further.  It becomes very apparently very quickly that positive target identification beyond about 75yds gets incredibly difficult and inconsistent with pistol WMLs because of their design.  If the rifle is strictly a HD gun, a pistol WML works just fine so long as you can operate it with both hands under stress.  

And if you run a Streamlight TLR, do yourself a favor and deactivate the strobe function.  It’s useless garbage.  

If it works for you, then have at it.  That said, every guy I’ve ever known seen that ran an Inforce on a LE duty gun (rifle or pistol) has gotten rid of it.  For pistol WMLs they’ve gone to SureFire, and for the rifle lights everyone has gone to various options ranging from SureFire to Cloud Defensive and Modlite.  Inforce lights have subpar performance.  Lower lumens, lower candela, spotty durability, no modularity and overall inferior to competitors.
View Quote

Are you guys routinely having to PID beyond 100 yards out there?

I work in an urban environment and there has not been a single time where i've had to PID beyond thirty five yards.  My X300 has always been up to the task with my pistol and for three years, was just fine on my patrol rifle.

I went from an X300 to a Malkoff head that had 77K candela.  I absolutely hated it as it was SO concentrated that it did nothing to actually illuminate anything but a very, very small area.  I was finding that on felony stops, it would NOT illuminate the interior of the cabin in the manner that I wanted it to as there was zero spill.

The 1K lumen X300 has a pretty generous spill and no real defined hot spot.  For my purposes, it illuminated vehicle cabins just fine (once again, never beyond 35 yards as we dont conduct felony stops beyond those distances), people at MY normal engagement distances and anything else I might want illuminated with my rifle.

For MOST purposes, pistol lights at 12 o'clock are absolutely fantastic and will do everything you need them to do.

Long range predator hunting at night...yep, it aint gonna work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
For all those saying the x300u doesn't have enough throw for rifle duty, then that would suggest that the only surefire light out there that is sufficient is the DF while using the 18650 batteries and not the 123s.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#17]
Originally Posted By JR12Valve:
I ran a X300V at 12:00 in the same manner until I got my LAM.

It works, actually works pretty well, it's just that a pistol light isn't good at doing rifle light things as far as punching out and illuminating anything past 30-40 yards.
View Quote
I have no issues seeing past 100 yards with a X300U

The 600 lumen has a bit more throw than the 1000 but both work just fine at distance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#18]
How good is the Streamlight TLR-1 in either the standard or HL model at throwing light to 100 yards or more? I’ve never used one but I’m just being cheap and not wanting to spend Surefire money on another setup.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't forget the Mossie Tactics Midnight mount.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I have an acog on my rifle now. Will mounting a light at the 12 o'clock position interfere with the acog site picture?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#21]
At 4x I don't think so

Eta. Just moved it to my LPVo carbine. About 3-3.5x it fades out of view.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
At 4x I don't think so

Eta. Just moved it to my LPVo carbine. About 3-3.5x it fades out of view.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s all I’ve used for years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#24]
As a side note for anyone looking to do this I’d recommend the B model X300U over the A.

The B snugs down tight and a witness mark with a paint pen and you’re good to go.

Got this setup out to the range for a couple hours of training

BCM 14.5 p/w lightweight CHF, Aimpoint in LaRue mount, X300U-B, Magpul BUIS sling and furniture

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampvol] [#25]
As a side note for anyone looking to do this I’d recommend the B model X300U over the A.

The B snugs down tight and a witness mark with a paint pen and you’re good to go.

BCM 14.5 p/w lightweight CHF, Aimpoint in LaRue mount, X300U-B, Magpul BUIS sling and furniture

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/88FD8C9E-1481-4BEA-8AFC-66F8EAFD3C3D_jpe-1811511.JPG
View Quote

I disagree because the B model is not compatible with the Unity Tactical EXO which I feel is a must have to protect the switches and battery compartment when rifle mounted.

I went with the A model for this reason alone. No issues with it fitting snug on the rail at all, either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#26]
As a side note for anyone looking to do this I'd recommend the B model X300U over the A.

The B snugs down tight and a witness mark with a paint pen and you're good to go.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/88FD8C9E-1481-4BEA-8AFC-66F8EAFD3C3D_jpe-1811511.JPG
View Quote
@mongo45

Love that setup. However - I wouldn't bridge your Aimpoint from receiver to rail.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#27]
@mongo45

Love that setup. However - I wouldn't bridge your Aimpoint from receiver to rail.
View Quote

It's not... just as far forward as possible with lugs on the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#28]
i have this setup on a rifle with fsp and have no issues with it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ajacobs:

https://i.imgur.com/PRRXAcL.jpg
View Quote

How the fuck do you actually use that??

I remember those things being all the rage for a minute when they came out but hold the FSB while operating the light is somewhat suboptimal.  Especially if you have to shoot the gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been running X300Us for years on my HD setups. Magpul Pro BUIS even look like they were designed around the X300U.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

There are even companies that build a front sight around the X300U:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Had no idea about the pros. That's awesome.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Daniel Defense fixed front works well with an X300 too.
The back of the sight is a good place to park your thumb to avoid an ND and the side of the light indexes/guides your thumb right to the switch.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By samuse:
Daniel Defense fixed front works well with an X300 too.
The back of the sight is a good place to park your thumb to avoid an ND and the side of the light indexes/guides your thumb right to the switch.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278546/1A88A8E3-51CC-444A-B5DB-6F6181E3DBF8-1836729.jpg
View Quote
You didn't read OP

Nice rifle
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By samuse:

How the fuck do you actually use that??

I remember those things being all the rage for a minute when they came out but hold the FSB while operating the light is somewhat suboptimal.  Especially if you have to shoot the gun.
View Quote
Works fine for me.  It could get hot of course, but that would take more rounds then any self defense scenario I envision.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#37]
X300's accidentally did to ARs what RMR's accidentally did to pistols.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
X300's accidentally did to ARs what RMR's accidentally did to pistols.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:09:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JMB501] [#39]
cant believe i just now found this thread.  i run one on my noveske 10.5 and my noveske N9 .....love this setup.

ETA does anyone know where i can snag a unity tactical exo ?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:33:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#40]
Bump

@jmb501
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:55:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampvol] [#41]
Originally Posted By JMB501:
cant believe i just now found this thread.  i run one on my noveske 10.5 and my noveske N9 .....love this setup.

ETA does anyone know where i can snag a unity tactical exo ?
View Quote

Here ya go.

ETA: Just realized he asked that 3 months ago. lol
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Been thinking about the modlite pl350 on one, since they’re compatible with rifle light heads from what I understand.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#43]
You forgot the biggest pro: IG pics.
I like the 12:00 mount because it ambi and not side specific for pew pewing around/under barriers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:
Been thinking about the modlite pl350 on one, since they’re compatible with rifle light heads from what I understand.
View Quote

No momentary option sucks enough on a pistol, but it would be absolutely shit-tastic on a carbine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't currently run it, but I fit it up on a Block2 FSP build and really liked it.

On my LPVO guns with ~1.50" mounts, the X300 takes up a bit of the FOV. Kinda distracting for me, but might be rectified with a 1.70" mount.

Ive heard Cloud Defense is coming out with a pistol light with swappable heads. Could be a hot ticket for pistol light size/activation/weight and rifle light throw.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:21:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#47]
Originally Posted By ajacobs:

https://i.imgur.com/PRRXAcL.jpg
View Quote

@ajacobs

I’ve liked the idea of the Mossy Oak FSB mount. The only thing that stopped me from getting one is how hot my FSB can get after firing several mags at a high rate of fire.  I assume you can easily burn your thumb when actuating the switch after you have been a lot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:

@ajacobs

I've liked the idea of the Mossy Oak FSB mount. The only thing that stopped me from getting one is how hot my FSB can get after firing several mags at a high rate of fire.  I assume you can easily burn your thumb when actuating the switch after you have been a lot.
View Quote
I don't doubt that is the case, I just question the likelihood of that being a problem given a self defense or police use.  If you get to the point you are dumping or engaged in any sustained fire - just turn the light on and leave it on.  At least that has been my theory.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I am pretty sure you want to use momentary only.  However - agree it won't be burning your hand with 1 mag.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I am pretty sure you want to use momentary only.  However - agree it won't be burning your hand with 1 mag.
View Quote
I am sure each situation is unique and there are people who advocate for each like Sage Dynamics tends to be the turn it on and leave it on type instructor, and others are momentary.  It is probably just a big mental jerk off for me anyway as the likelihood I will ever have to use it is next to none, but still I would venture to guess you can ditch the concept of momentary when it gets to the point that it is hot.  I am sure though scenarios can be what ifed to no end.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top