Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2021 10:49:59 AM EDT
After reading about Surefire DS00 tail caps not allowing full current for on a Modlite I decided to a basic unscientific test.

Using a Modlite plhv2, DS00 tailcap, ST07 tape switch and Modbutton Lite tape switch.

Turned on the light with the constant on tailcap button and then pressing the ST07 tapeswich I saw an increase in lumen output.

Turned on the light with the ST07 tapeswich and then the constant on DS00 tailcap button I saw no increase in lumen output.

Turned on the light with the constant on DS00 tailcap button and then pressing the Modbotton Lite I saw slight increase in lumen output.

Turned on the light with the Modbutton Lite and then the constant on DS00 tailcap button I saw no increase in lumen output.

Oddly enough with the DS00  constant on the Surefire ST07 increased the lumen output more than the Modbutton Lite which is supposed to handle the 100% of the current.

Conclusion.  The ST07 allows more current than the DS00 button and in my case more current than the Modbutton Lite.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmm I hope that isn’t the case with the set-up I just ordered...... I never even gave different switches effecting output a single thought  

I got the PHLv2 from their site along with a Modbutton for it and a Dbal

Would you say the output loss using the modbutton is highly noticeable?

@STG
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Its minimal and only noticeable when seen when switching back and forth.

Modlite has stated that Surefire tail caps will reduce output, but there are no other options.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Does the Z68 tailcap reduce output too?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Modlite ever post actual proof of this "unable to handle the power" claim? Or is it just "Modlite said"? I mean, it's not hard to put identical lights, with each switch, in a Lumen Tube, and show the results.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the Z68 tailcap reduce output too?
View Quote

Bump for this.

I just replaced the KE2DF head on my M640DF with a PLHv2 head, but I'm wondering whether I need to get a Modlite tailcap too.

I place my lights at around the 1100 position so if this is just a remote switch issue it is of no concern to me
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are you reading that tailcaps are the issue?

Modlite has only stated that the Surefire tape switches present an issue because of the gauge of wire they use won't handle the full current of the batteries.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you reading that tailcaps are the issue?

Modlite has only stated that the Surefire tape switches present an issue because of the gauge of wire they use won't handle the full current of the batteries.
View Quote

There are a few different threads on it, but they are unclear as to what the case is. Some blame the switches themselves, others blame the heads, and others blame tailcaps.

I was considering getting a Modlite clicky-I refuse to give up the M640 body because the mount is better than anything Modlite has-but I guess I'm fine with the Z68 then.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top