Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2021 1:34:30 AM EDT
I have recently purchased a Modlite PLHv2 and love it.  I am using a Surefire SR07 that I already had.

Now I am looking to maybe pick up another PLHv2 and ran across a warning on the Modlite page:

One problem that exists today is older legacy switches are not able to pass the current needed to run current and future generation lights. These older switch designs do not allow Modlite light heads to run at full power. Typically these switches reduce output by 15-20%. ModButton Lite utilizes an updated plug design as well as improved electronics that allow the ModButton Lite to output at full power so all the lumens and candela can be put to good use.
View Quote

Modlite ModButton Lite (Surefire®/Modlite Plug)

Moving to the ModButton isn't that big of a deal provided that they are in stock (and the Modlite is right now).  But I also want to have a constant on/off capability on the switch, which is one of the things about the SR07 that appeals to me.

I am also not crazy about the small buttons on the ModButton and Hot Button.  That is almost reminiscent of pushing the tailcap of a flashlight.  Does anyone remember when those things ruled, and if someone suggested a tape switch they would be told that it was "too complicated" and "fragile"?  Seems like things have come full circle.  LOL

How much output is lost on a modern light like the PLHv2 by using a Surefire SR07?

And are their any modern tape switch options available that integrate momentary/on/off?

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have recently purchased a Modlite PLHv2 and love it.  I am using a Surefire SR07 that I already had.

Now I am looking to maybe pick up another PLHv2 and ran across a warning on the Modlite page:

One problem that exists today is older legacy switches are not able to pass the current needed to run current and future generation lights. These older switch designs do not allow Modlite light heads to run at full power. Typically these switches reduce output by 15-20%. ModButton Lite utilizes an updated plug design as well as improved electronics that allow the ModButton Lite to output at full power so all the lumens and candela can be put to good use.
View Quote

Modlite ModButton Lite (Surefire®/Modlite Plug)

Moving to the ModButton isn't that big of a deal provided that they are in stock (and the Modlite is right now).  But I also want to have a constant on/off capability on the switch, which is one of the things about the SR07 that appeals to me.

I am also not crazy about the small buttons on the ModButton and Hot Button.  That is almost reminiscent of pushing the tailcap of a flashlight.  Does anyone remember when those things ruled, and if someone suggested a tape switch they would be told that it was "too complicated" and "fragile"?  Seems like things have come full circle.  LOL

How much output is lost on a modern light like the PLHv2 by using a Surefire SR07?

And are their any modern tape switch options available that integrate momentary/on/off?

Thanks,

Corey
View Quote

Personally tested side by side with fresh battery and it's just enough to notice but it's not wow. Mod button is good stuff but I stuck with surefire because it sits lower and I liked the ergos better even though the mod button is better.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Personally tested side by side with fresh battery and it's just enough to notice but it's not wow. Mod button is good stuff but I stuck with surefire because it sits lower and I liked the ergos better even though the mod button is better.
View Quote

So I'm losing some output, but not a lot huh?

The PLHv2 is an amazing light.  Even at whatever percentage of output I am currently getting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The PLHv2 is an amazing light.  Even at whatever percentage of output I am currently getting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's only noticeable if you are really looking for it.  I wasn't sure,  wife said she could see the difference.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if it's a definitive test, but I run a DS tailcap and there's zero difference in output whether I click the switch or the tailcap. Also, I want to say that the majority of the issues with lower output had to do with the ST switch.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not sure if it's a definitive test, but I run a DS tailcap and there's zero difference in output whether I click the switch or the tailcap. Also, I want to say that the majority of the issues with lower output had to do with the ST switch.
View Quote

Why would a DS switch not suffer from the same issues?  Do you think when the circuit is open (on) the issues are not present?  (Honest question.)

If the issue is mainly with the ST switch, would the same not apply to the momentary function on the SR-07?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I've read, the power loss comes from the ST switches. They say the SR switches and DS tailcaps are GtG.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From what I've read, the power loss comes from the ST switches. They say the SR switches and DS tailcaps are GtG.
View Quote

Good to know thanks. Got a source?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't tell on my Sr07 switches
I might just grab a couple modlite heads and run them on my DFs that are completely set up to use.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I did some playing around with my DS tailcap, SR07 and modbutton lite, and couldnt tell a difference on my older PLHv1. I'm also a pleb so maybe that was just me.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. I am trying to avoid the DS because it is pretty large and hard to operate constant on moving off of the pressure pad. I really like the SR-07 switch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good to know thanks. Got a source?
View Quote

I rescind my prior statement. I was under the impression that the legacy switches were the ST switches. I have done more research and from everything I can find, the SR07 & SR07 D IT switches will slightly reduce overall power, as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I rescind my prior statement. I was under the impression that the legacy switches were the ST switches. I have done more research and from everything I can find, the SR07 & SR07 D IT switches will slightly reduce overall power, as well.
View Quote

Thanks, got a link that I can check out?

Sooooo, when is Modlite going to introduce a switch with momentary/on/off?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/surefire-scout-tailcap-tape-switch-product-guide/ , this was one of the places I read that the SR07 will cause slight power loss. I googled - "is there power loss using sr07 with modlite head", and found lots more info, as well.

Thats an excellent 2nd question. I would really like to know this answer, and also when will they introduce a switch like the SR07-D-IT. Which would run the higher output light plus an atpial.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/surefire-scout-tailcap-tape-switch-product-guide/ , this was one of the places I read that the SR07 will cause slight power loss. I googled - "is there power loss using sr07 with modlite head", and found lots more info, as well.

Thats an excellent 2nd question. I would really like to know this answer, and also when will they introduce a switch like the SR07-D-IT. Which would run the higher output light plus an atpial.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Unity Hot Button allows momentary/on/off. Just dont fully depress it to the "click" for momentary, then click for constant on, and again for off. Not perfect, but works in my experience.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top