Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2018 9:54:29 AM EDT
thinking about doing a big bore AR next and can't decide if I should just modify one of my extra small bore upper or buy one already done. My main concern would be blending the feedramps on the upper, would removing that much material and exposing bare aluminum there cause any issues with increased wear? Or am I overthinking this?

I see most of the pre made big bore uppers are over $100 and I can take my dremeland modify one of my existing uppers for free.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just buy one but that's me. I would like to get a upper in 204 but I need it finish my wife's SBR first.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stripped $57
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang it, now I am probably going to have build one, damn, I thought I was done!

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have your heart set on a particular upper but the port is not big enough, Paladin Macine Shop Service, tp555(at)winstream.net,  has more experience at opening up ejection ports than just about anyone, doing them since 2000, maybe earlier.  The port door will latch shut, cost is very minimal, and turn around is very short, usually a week.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw somewhere, perhaps here, the dimensional difference and where you had to make the adjustments. At the time I didn't think it would be very difficult to modify your own. I've kept that in mind since the only thing I need to build another complete 450 is a bolt and barrel. I know they are not that much but if you can find that picture you may see how little work it actually takes. If you screw it up that bad then buy the factory big bore upper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw somewhere, perhaps here, the dimensional difference and where you had to make the adjustments. At the time I didn't think it would be very difficult to modify your own. I've kept that in mind since the only thing I need to build another complete 450 is a bolt and barrel. I know they are not that much but if you can find that picture you may see how little work it actually takes. If you screw it up that bad then buy the factory big bore upper.
View Quote
Right to Keep and Bear Arms has big bore upper receivers on sale for $59.95 right now, just got an email from them yesterday.  The one in the email is a .458 SOCOM made by Areo
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top