Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2021 6:28:16 PM EDT
So I bought my first AR pistol and I wasn’t really aware of how much harsher they can be on internals. I ended up with a Daniel defense mk18 which I really love. I’ve been hearing a lot about how shorter barrels tend to chew up internals quicker but I’ve never really seen anyone lay out the round counts for the recommended service. Are there some rough guidelines of parts I should keep spares of and when to change them? I will probably shoot about 1000 rounds a year through this particular firearm.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Somewhere in this video Garand Thumb talks about service life of MK18's.
Duty use was 5000 rounds and I believe everything else was 10,000 rounds.
It's a good video, worth the time to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDt1pPiXVg
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing that might go earlier would be the bolt, extractor, and firing pin retainer pin.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd just pick up a spare BCG and action (buffer) spring. Then do your thing and if something does fail swap it out and drive on. It's a good idea to have spares anyway (regardless of what setup you run). At 1k rounds a year you're worrying about nothing, but shit can happen and with today's hit or miss availability it's a good idea to be prepared, just in case
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somewhere in this video Garand Thumb talks about service life of MK18's.
Duty use was 5000 rounds and I believe everything else was 10,000 rounds.
It's a good video, worth the time to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDt1pPiXVg
View Quote

Military bolts can last longer than 5,000 rounds.

Even in the little shorty barrels.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Chris Bartocci has some good comments on parts life in the short barrel AR's....Small Arms Solutions videos
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I bought my first AR pistol and I wasn’t really aware of how much harsher they can be on internals. I ended up with a Daniel defense mk18 which I really love. I’ve been hearing a lot about how shorter barrels tend to chew up internals quicker but I’ve never really seen anyone lay out the round counts for the recommended service. Are there some rough guidelines of parts I should keep spares of and when to change them? I will probably shoot about 1000 rounds a year through this particular firearm.
View Quote
it’s less the internals and more the barrel itself. The bolts have a pretty average lifespan. mk18’s generally have about 1/3- 1/2 the barrel life of a 14” M4. Generally speaking they start failing throat erosion gauging at around 8-10,000 rounds.

You’ll see the shot group start to open up at about 5-6k.

Granted this is with a military barrel I’m talking. Different barrels are going to burn out at quicker rates than the military ones, which though replaceable are designed to last in shit conditions. It’s also in regards to shooting either 855 or Mk262. Get some lighter stuff in there and it’ll probably last a couple thousand longer, get some extra spicy stuff like the super varmint rounds or the 855A1 and it’s gonna be on the lower end.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I would suggest just having a complete bolt assembly on hand at a minimum.  Gas rings go, your set.  Bolt lug breaks, your set.    A complete BCG if you want.  I always keep a spare BCG with extra gas rings when in my tool bag when traveling fixing guns.  During inspections, gas rings are what I replace the most.  During rebarreling, I replace the bolt/barrel/gas tube together.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/DD-MK18-barrel-life/118-766376/&page=1&anc=8315602#i8315602

CD
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would suggest just having a complete bolt assembly on hand at a minimum.  Gas rings go, your set.  Bolt lug breaks, your set.    A complete BCG if you want.  I always keep a spare BCG with extra gas rings when in my tool bag when traveling fixing guns.  During inspections, gas rings are what I replace the most.  During rebarreling, I replace the bolt/barrel/gas tube together.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/DD-MK18-barrel-life/118-766376/&page=1&anc=8315602#i8315602

CD
View Quote

I carry a complete BCG. My reasoning is that, even though it is heavier and bulkier, in the field, you can swap it out in seconds.
ETA: And the only parts breakage that I have ever had in over 40 years was a gas key screw, while at the range.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]
@Combat_Diver
@Tejas1836

Looking in my parts supplies, gas rings are what I am lacking....

I have some from LMT, 2 sets...can you suggest a good alternate source for good gas rings....LMT has been out for a long time with no estimated restock timing.

I need rings to cover KAC, LMT, Larue and DD.   I assume they should all be the same.

Thanks,

Bronc
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Combat_Diver
@Tejas1836

I have some from LMT, 2 sets...can you suggest a good alternate source for good gas rings....LMT has been out for a long time with no estimated restock timing.

I need rings to cover KAC, LMT, Larue and DD.   I assume they should all be the same.

Thanks,

Bronc
View Quote

I use BCM parts for as long as they have been around. The price is good and seem to be always in stock.
ETA: Hope all is well where you are located
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
@Tejas1836

We are good, we are on the eastern side of LA, Slidell area....no damage just branches down.  We got our power back on Friday.  My son and his wife are with us with their 4 day old boy, our first grandchild.  They dont have power at their house....they are in the Hammond, LA area....many thanks for asking

Will dig on the BCM website tonight and get some on order....thanks for the lead.

Richard
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@Combat_Diver
@Tejas1836

Thanks,

Bronc
View Quote

Sorry, can’t say who was what in stock.

CD
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

APEX

AU

BROWNELLS

Colt are all that I use personally.

As a secondary,  BCM would be my fallback.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I threw a cheap BCG in a 10.5, and the firing pin retaining pin was bent very quickly.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
it’s less the internals and more the barrel itself. The bolts have a pretty average lifespan. mk18’s generally have about 1/3- 1/2 the barrel life of a 14” M4. Generally speaking they start failing throat erosion gauging at around 8-10,000 rounds.

You’ll see the shot group start to open up at about 5-6k.

Granted this is with a military barrel I’m talking. Different barrels are going to burn out at quicker rates than the military ones, which though replaceable are designed to last in shit conditions. It’s also in regards to shooting either 855 or Mk262. Get some lighter stuff in there and it’ll probably last a couple thousand longer, get some extra spicy stuff like the super varmint rounds or the 855A1 and it’s gonna be on the lower end.
View Quote

Why would a shorter barrel cause more throat erosion?

I saw some study on the MK18 with m855a1 that fell in line with what you are saying with barrel life and I want to say bolts lasted closer to 10k before breakage. I kind of figured the quick throat erosion was simply due to the firing schedule of the test though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why would a shorter barrel cause more throat erosion?

I saw some study on the MK18 with m855a1 that fell in line with what you are saying with barrel life and I want to say bolts lasted closer to 10k before breakage. I kind of figured the quick throat erosion was simply due to the firing schedule of the test though.
View Quote

Likely correct on the faster firing rate on full auto.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Likely correct on the faster firing rate on full auto.
View Quote

Yeah probably, though the thing is it didn't seem that abusive. I want to say the shooting was done in 120 round segments, with only 30 of those 120 being full auto and even then done in 5 round bursts with 5 second breaks between bursts. No part of the test exceeded 60 rounds/min. The barrels were so shot out they were getting baffle strikes at around 10k rounds and like 1"+ throat erosion IIRC
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
BCG will typically shit itself around 5-7 K.
When you replace that, replace the buffer spring and the hammer spring.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top