AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1411 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

What’s everybody using nowadays? Modlites?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Haven't seen any MARSOC guns in years.  SF isn't using any Surefire lights in while now.

CD

What’s everybody using nowadays? Modlites?

That would definitely be a change of pace, anyone know which models?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Moses_J:

That would definitely be a change of pace, anyone know which models?
View Quote
They arnt and if someone is it's a very high probability of being a private purchase.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
All these recent builds with contract parts got me nostalgic. Back when I had 2 block 2 uppers, one savannah marked, other dated with my birthday. Shoulda kept that savannah one around.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#4]
Got my fde XPS3-0 yesterday. Its next to impossible to find one for sale in fde that isn't completely tore up or out of my range. I also remembered why I previously swapped out my matech for an ARMs 40. The matech interferes with the 3x mag. Cant close the larue clamp on the mag.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
https://i.imgur.com/GeZ8LYa.jpg
View Quote

Yep, that’s sexy as fuck
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a CQBR Snow Day in the desert yesterday (snowed a bit more this morning, too).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As an added bonus, CQBR got a bath :D.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm building a MK18 mod 0 clone on the cheap.

So far I've got a Ballistic Advantage 10.3" Classic Series chrome lined barrel with a 0.070" gas port and an installed F marked A2 front sight base.

The handguard cap is an A2 round one, instead of the cut-away M4 one.

I'm not sure how tough it is to remove the taper pins to change the cap, if I decide to.

I got the Aero Precision gas tube, upper receiver, charging handle and bolt carrier group.

I bought a new P&S M4 RAS quad rail.

I bought a new Knight's M4QD flash hider.

I have the front sight base support tool, but I'm not sure what punch is best for removing (and replacing) the taper pins.

Maybe a nail set punch?

I have seen one brand of taper pin punches for AR's, but the ones I found don't have good reviews.

I have replacement taper pins and the M4 handguard cap, but I don't want to beat up my new, pre-drilled front sight base.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

This type setup is what made me take the NFA leap years ago.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:
I'm building a MK18 mod 0 clone on the cheap.

So far I've got a Ballistic Advantage 10.3" Classic Series chrome lined barrel with a 0.070" gas port and an installed F marked A2 front sight base.

The handguard cap is an A2 round one, instead of the cut-away M4 one.

I'm not sure how tough it is to remove the taper pins to change the cap, if I decide to.

I got the Aero Precision gas tube, upper receiver, charging handle and bolt carrier group.

I bought a new P&S M4 RAS quad rail.

I bought a new Knight's M4QD flash hider.

I have the front sight base support tool, but I'm not sure what punch is best for removing (and replacing) the taper pins.

Maybe a nail set punch?

I have seen one brand of taper pin punches for AR's, but the ones I found don't have good reviews.

I have replacement taper pins and the M4 handguard cap, but I don't want to beat up my new, pre-drilled front sight base.

View Quote

I use a Stanley nail punch and/or a 7/16" piece of round stock for shocking it loose, then a 1/8" straight punch for driving it out. The most important thing is having it on a solid surface like concrete; any give whatsoever in the surface and you won't be transferring the strike energy to the pins. Lay down a towel and use a block of wood for the rear to level it and offer a bit more protection than just a towel.

Get a big hammer and go to work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:28:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#11]
Good page.
ETA: PS edit by krdt
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the best method for aligning a RIS II rail to the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 4runnagunna:
View Quote

Use a Carry Handle to bridge the gap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Use a Carry Handle to bridge the gap.
View Quote
Or get the alignment tool from Classified Defense.  Currently in stock for a change.  Link
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]Originally Posted By krdt:

I use a Stanley nail punch and/or a 7/16" piece of round stock for shocking it loose, then a 1/8" straight punch for driving it out. The most important thing is having it on a solid surface like concrete; any give whatsoever in the surface and you won't be transferring the strike energy to the pins. Lay down a towel and use a block of wood for the rear to level it and offer a bit more protection than just a towel.

Get a big hammer and go to work.
View Quote

Thanks.

I do have some big (and small) hammers.

I have the plastic front sight pedestal tool to set on the concrete floor.

Actually I think it is a combo pedestal that holds an upper receiver upright too.

It is larger than the hockey puck style and it keeps the cap from being damaged I think.

I'll have to check sizes of nail sets, thanks for the size reference.

I do have some straight pin punches.

Also I have to figure out how to hold the upper while installing the forward assist roll pin.

I did get some roll pin holders and starter punches.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#16]
Good page.
https://i.imgur.com/frU0NVV.jpg
View All Quotes
Good page.
https://i.imgur.com/frU0NVV.jpg

Needed a little PS lovin' ;p.

Attachment Attached File

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/frU0NVV-Edit.jpg (Full size if you want it)

Originally Posted By 4runnagunna:

Carry handle, alignment tool, EXPS optic... anything that's straight and large enough to bridge the gap will work.

Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:

Thanks.

I do have some big (and small) hammers.

I have the plastic front sight pedestal tool to set on the concrete floor.

Actually I think it is a combo pedestal that holds an upper receiver upright too.

It is larger than the hockey puck style and it keeps the cap from being damaged I think.

I'll have to check sizes of nail sets, thanks for the size reference.

I do have some straight pin punches.

Also I have to figure out how to hold the upper while installing the forward assist roll pin.

I did get some roll pin holders and starter punches.

If I recall, the nail punch I use is 3/32". Also, the large (7/16") punch doesn't need to be a certain specific size -- anything in that range will work. You just want a solid, broad face for shocking it loose if the 3/32" nail punch isn't enough; I just happen to use 7/16" piece of round stock.

You can just hold the upper in your lap and use a roll pin punch to install the forward assist. Doesn't need anything special.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Lol thanks. S9 Plus isn't much to work with.

I need to buy a real camera one day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By krdt:

Carry handle, alignment tool, EXPS optic... anything that's straight and large enough to bridge the gap will work.

If I recall, the nail punch I use is 3/32". Also, the large (7/16") punch doesn't need to be a certain specific size -- anything in that range will work. You just want a solid, broad face for shocking it loose if the 3/32" nail punch isn't enough; I just happen to use 7/16" piece of round stock.

You can just hold the upper in your lap and use a roll pin punch to install the forward assist. Doesn't need anything special.
View Quote

Great.

I got a Midwest Industries reaction bar or whatever it's called to install the barrel.

I just need to get some synthetic gray moly EP grease.

The old manuals just called for moly EP grease and that was usually 3% moly.

It looks like Aeroshell 64, in the current manuals, is synthetic and 5% moly.

The local auto part store has moly EP grease in synthetic and non-synthetic and I think gray would be correct for steel to aluminum.

I don't think the percentage of moly should make much difference.

The other grease colors sometimes have anti-seize that shouldn't be used with certain metals or metal mixes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NewMoneyBlownMoney] [#19]

About to get started on my CQBR build, just waiting for the Colt upper to come in. I spent every night for about a month surfing through every page to get up to speed lol. I now have way more knowledge of this stuff than i'll ever need. Honestly, this thread should be protected at all cost, like a national treasure!

Edit - still unsure how to get my pics to show up...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NewMoneyBlownMoney:
https://imgur.com/a/Y76t8tX
About to get started on my CQBR build, just waiting for the Colt upper to come in. I spent every night for about a month surfing through every page to get up to speed lol. I now have way more knowledge of this stuff than i'll ever need. Honestly, this thread should be protected at all cost, like a national treasure!
View Quote

Solid setup.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NewMoneyBlownMoney:
https://imgur.com/a/Y76t8tX

View Quote

Great start
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Not much has changed. But tan KAC front and tan pri have been charged to black.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Like button.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

Yep, that’s sexy as fuck
View Quote
Right out of my mouth.Yep-per.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Heard it snowed in Phoenix too.

CD
View All Quotes

Yeah, it definitely isn't the norm, lol. Sorta happened in Feb 2019 (more sleet than snow)... but I can't even recall the last time we had genuine flake snow this far south. Probably 8-10 years or more?

Can't say how far down into the city it went. A friend in the Deer Valley area told me he was getting sleet/hail, so I don't know if it made it further south into Phoenix proper.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#27]

Yep, that’s sexy as fuck
View Quote

Haha, agreed. I definitely have a "type".

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Back to the EoTech, because of reasons.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:12:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#29]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:

All these recent builds with contract parts got me nostalgic. Back when I had 2 block 2 uppers, one savannah marked, other dated with my birthday. Shoulda kept that savannah one around.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471387/image_jpeg-736094.JPG
View Quote

Those Insight Lasers aren't exactly common......
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Cant imagine why lol.
Cqbrs with Eotechs/Elcans really is peak aesthetics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Creature] [#31]
I specifically come to this thread to center my chi.  The Eotech bashfests in GD are gutting after a few pages worth.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:44:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#32]
My 10.3" BA barrel is the same length as the 10.3" Colt barrel, but the DD 10.3" barrel seems to be about an 1/8" (0.125") shorter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#33]

https://i.imgur.com/zF7vYDX.jpg
View All Quotes

Yep, that's sexy as fuck

https://i.imgur.com/zF7vYDX.jpg
It's a nice type to be into.

i just read that the pri m68 was the earlier socom m68 mount. Anyone got any info on that? Was that for the earlier m4 before Wilcox?

also, damn there are so many nice rifles on this page!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:24:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#36]
She has shot my Mk18s at my other location in country. (3 spent brass can be seen)

Attachment Attached File

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/War-Rescue-of-puppies-from-Afghanistan/154-2420525/&page=1&anc=-1

CD
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:

ughh imma fuckin bust
View Quote
Staph your gonna make me blush

Shared this in the mk16/17/20 thread but it works here too.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Nice! What light mount are you using to position your Surefire light that way?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:

Nice! What light mount are you using to position your Surefire light that way?
View Quote
Yeah I had wanted to do something similar but didn't think you could direct mount them like on 416s. Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Yeah I had wanted to do something similar but didn't think you could direct mount them like on 416s. Looks awesome.
View Quote

+1.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#42]
That's why I ended up picking up a pro to try a similar setup. Old pic for reference:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#43]
That's why I ended up picking up a pro...
View Quote

Does it lock up tight? Can it take a good tumble/smack? I am looking at another scout and that saves a few dollars over going the standard model and adding an RM45 (my current and preferred mount). The hinge looked a bit delicate and was worried about it over time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I've got some of my MK18 parts counted now.

Here is what I have some far to be assembled.

1 - Colt 10.3" barrel with FSB, Colt upper, Colt charging handle, Colt gas tube, Colt BCG, Colt delta ring pack, LMT rear sight, KAC M4 RIS with Canada lower half and KAC M4QD flash hider.

2 - Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel with DD pinned gas block, Colt upper, Colt charging handle (might change to Geissele Airborne CH), Colt gas tube, Colt BCG, DD MK18 FDE RIS II and Surefire SF4P- 556 four prong flash hider.

3 - DD 10.3" barrel with FSB, M4 handguard plate, Colt barrel nut, Aero Precision upper, AP charging handle, DD gas tube, Toolcraft BCG, LMT delta ring pack, KAC M4 RAS and KAC M4QD flash hider.

4 - Ballistic Advantage 10.3" barrel with FSB (might change A2 HG cap to M4), Aero Precision upper, AP charging handle, AP gas tube, AP BCG, BA delta ring pack, KAC M4 RAS and KAC M4QD flash hider.

5 - Andro Corp 10.3" Crane Spec nitride 10.3" barrel with FSB (might change A2 HG cap to M4), AP front sight post kit, AP upper, AP charging handle, AP gas tube, AP nitride BCG (might change to AP mil spec), AP delta ring pack, P&S M4 RAS, KAC M4QD flash hider.

I think I have most of the tools now.

I just need to get some extreme Pressure moly grease.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BePhreed:

Does it lock up tight? Can it take a good tumble/smack? I am looking at another scout and that saves a few dollars over going the standard model and adding an RM45 (my current and preferred mount). The hinge looked a bit delicate and was worried about it over time.
View Quote
That's something I can't attest too. I took it off after about a month. Mainly cause i keep straying away from clone correct and then it brings me back in. I THINK it can take a few hits and some
abuse. However, how that affects the lock up of the rotation over time? I'm not sure... I do remember hearing the wmx200 rotation mounts weren't the best either in that hard use could case them to loosen. Maybe someone w/ more experience w/ them can comment on that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#46]
That's something I can't attest too. I took it off after about a month. Mainly cause i keep straying away from clone correct and then it brings me back in. I THINK it can take a few hits and some
abuse. However, how that affects the lock up of the rotation over time? I'm not sure... I do remember hearing the wmx200 rotation mounts weren't the best either in that hard use could case them to loosen. Maybe someone w/ more experience w/ them can comment on that.
View Quote

Appreciate it. I have experience with the WMX series and wasn’t impressed. My old work rifle to the left.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Appreciate it. I have experience with the WMX series and wasn't impressed. My old work rifle to the left.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170190/550FB721-9B15-41D0-8D8E-1F6AC068186A_jpe-1801234.JPG
View Quote
Pretty sure it's a similar lock up system. And oh shit, that's one of the rifles I was looking at that gave me the idea. That and a few 416s, along w/ some other rifles like that. 1000s of photos to look through on a deployment w/ nothing to do. Mind went wild w/ build possibilities.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#48]
View Quote

I have no way to measure impacts, but for what it's worth...
The rotational wmx I have on my current rifle shifted from a standard fall in my truck bed. (Leaned against the side than fell over when I was moving gear around.) I have since used Vibra-tite on the bolt/nut combo and haven't noticed any movement since.
The Surefire Pro mount has been solid even with similar tumbles, but keep in mind I Vibra-tite'd the mount from the get go.

Regardless, your going to want to use some type of threadlocker component on the mount and even than except some shifts with hard use over time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#49]
She has shot my Mk18s at my other location in country. (3 spent brass can be seen)
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/War-Rescue-of-puppies-from-Afghanistan/154-2420525/&page=1&anc=-1

CD
View Quote
Nice frame, dust down there, 3 in the air.
Wishing you guys luck with Opn PUPPY LIFT.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Badger52:
Nice frame, dust down there, 3 in the air.
Wishing you guys luck with Opn PUPPY LIFT.

View Quote

Thank you

CD
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1411 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top