Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2020 10:06:12 PM EDT
Has anybody tried this https://www.lowerfriction.com/product-page.php?categoryID=1? I did do this with oil a few years back and saw good results, but WS2 is so messy and it would make the oil run and splat during fire more than usual. I would assume trying this with grease would make it a slightly thinner, but improve nearly every characteristic.

I may be wrong, but I've been reading around that this material is one of the most lubricious materials on earth. I can really see a downside and in surprised there aren't many studies on this.

Has anyone experimented or know more than what's readily available from Google?
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I use MolySlide by NECO - it's 60% MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide, AKA moly) in a light grease.  The moly will impregnate metal surfaces and form a semi-permanent lubricating film.  Only small amounts are needed (barely visible film) and it stays where it's put.  I still use CLP in areas where powder residue accumulates to keep it soft and MolySlide everywhere else.  It has done a stellar job for me for over 20 years - same uppers/lowers/BCGs/triggers still running fine after tens of thousands of rounds in NRA High Power & Long Range competition.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
WS2 sounds like a good product, but I'm not sure there can be a measurably better result between using it and other good lubricants already on the market. The oil/grease base used is also very important. Personally, I use a high-temp synthetic brake caliper grease with moly for high wear areas, like slides and locking lugs.  It stays where you put it and any carbon that it picks up stays in suspension. My 1911 was finicky unless I ran it run very wet.  I had the brake caliper grease laying around, and it smells bad enough that it must have a good amount of moly in it, so I tried it.  Now I use it on everything. A tiny pinpoint dab on each rail will do a 1911. On my ARs I'm a little more liberal with the application.  The other thing I use is graphite powder for locations I don't want to clean often, like the internals of a pump gun. I mix the graphite powder with alcohol and paint the slurry on any areas that show wear, then quickly reassemble and work the action.  The alcohol evaporates, leaving the graphite behind, without oil to pick up dust and dirt.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I mix WS2 with SuperLube grease and have been using it on guns for at least 3 years now. I notice the biggest difference in triggers,sears,hammers but use it on pistol slide rails, AR bolts, carriers, buffer springs and barrel nuts.

I feel the WS2 is a little improvement to straight grease. Lots of people and companies use or add Moly, WS2 is slicker than Moly. A small bottle of WS2 goes a long way, a oz or 2 off eBay is pretty inexpensive.

I also add WS2 to rubbing alcohol and shake it up. Put it on to clean .22 receivers and bolts, knife pivots etc. The alcohol evaporates and leaves a dry WS2 film that lubricates without any dust or lint sticking.

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mix WS2 with SuperLube grease and have been using it on guns for at least 3 years now. I notice the biggest difference in triggers,sears,hammers but use it on pistol slide rails, AR bolts, carriers, buffer springs and barrel nuts.

I feel the WS2 is a little improvement to straight grease. Lots of people and companies use or add Moly, WS2 is slicker than Moly. A small bottle of WS2 goes a long way, a oz or 2 off eBay is pretty inexpensive.

I also add WS2 to rubbing alcohol and shake it up. Put it on to clean .22 receivers and bolts, knife pivots etc. The alcohol evaporates and leaves a dry WS2 film that lubricates without any dust or lint sticking.

View Quote

I'm curious to your experience with SuperLube. Does it stay put?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
To me it stays put great, especially if used in a thin layer. If you apply it to a part that moves quickly or can be exposed to expanding gasses a thick layer can get splattered everywhere. If over applied to AR bolt lugs, or pistol rails it can sling some off the first few rounds fired.

I like to use a Qtip to smear a thin layer where needed and it stays in place well and lasts a long time. Sometimes after applying it I will work the action or slide a few times then wipe up any that got squeezed out or displaced
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To me it stays put great, especially if used in a thin layer. If you apply it to a part that moves quickly or can be exposed to expanding gasses a thick layer can get splattered everywhere. If over applied to AR bolt lugs, or pistol rails it can sling some off the first few rounds fired.

I like to use a Qtip to smear a thin layer where needed and it stays in place well and lasts a long time. Sometimes after applying it I will work the action or slide a few times then wipe up any that got squeezed out or displaced
View Quote

That's like that with really any grease.  There just aren't a lot of synthetic grease as readily available vs aluminum, lithium, and calcium sulfonate.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The other thing I use is graphite powder for locations I don't want to clean often, like the internals of a pump gun. I mix the graphite powder with alcohol and paint the slurry on any areas that show wear, then quickly reassemble and work the action.  The alcohol evaporates, leaving the graphite behind, without oil to pick up dust and dirt.
View Quote

Graphite is almost never used on machine tools, as it attracts moisture, and can become abrasive.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually added WS2 & HbN to SuperLube grease. It raised the temperature resistance substantially and increase the "stickiness" and thickness of the grease. I tested heat resistance at around 1000F and the grease pretty much completely evaporated off, kinda. It left a coating layer of WS2/HbN that was super lubricious. Almost like a dry film, slightly greasy moist. Pretty neat.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top