Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2020 5:50:46 PM EDT
about 50% brake grease
the rest Mobil 1 synthetic

It still flows almost like oil but is kind of grease-like in its properties in that it doesn't evaporate, blow off and tends to stay there longer than 'normal' oil.

I heated grease and mixed in oil. Wear a gas mask or do it outdoors.   I hear you can do it without heating but that's how I did it.

an interesting concoction.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol, why not just use gun lubes designed for GUNS.

Seems ppl trying to invent something that doesn't need invented

CLP and Hoppes #9 is all I've ever needed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Why?

You end up breathing that in vapour form when you shoot...and adds zero reliability compared to simply wetting with slip every 500 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not skip the oil entirely? My rifles haven't seen oil in a decade. Nothing but Magnalube grease.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Because unlike grease, it flows kind of like oil.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What you "flowing " it on or in ?

Be interested in your cleaning/lube process.

My bolt gets wiped off,  light lubed and put back.

Barrel gets CLP patch ran til clean and then dry patch.

I might take a rag with CLP and wipe inside of upper and couple drops on lower springs

Really not sure what you guys are doing with all these greases and science projects
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why does it need to flow? I can access everywhere I need to apply grease without having to drip oil anywhere. And grease stays put far better, because it doesn't flow (as readily).
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#7]
or just purchase some NGL 00 grease.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not skip the oil entirely? My rifles haven't seen oil in a decade. Nothing but Magnalube grease.
View Quote

Exactly. I use Superlube w/ WS2 dry lube added. Works great. No smell and doesn't evaporate and gravity doesn't pull it into lower.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
or just purchase some NGL 00 grease.
View Quote

Just makes me hungry talking about it.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 for Magnalube grease....
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive been mixing EWG with EWL30 with good effect.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
+1 for Magnalube grease....
View Quote

I use it on everything that needs to be greased: door hinges, garage door rollers, reloading presses, firearms, paintball guns, etc... It's cheap and it works well for lubrication and corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
A lot of people use oil, I would say most and some use grease. Mixing the two generates a happy medium. The result is kind of like both oil and grease. Has properties of both, yet is neither.

I don't want to move to 100% grease for a number of reasons, I made that clear.  For the same reason most people don't use grease.

Now the above posts are saying why are you using oil at all, well there are reasons why most use oil.

I lubricate by pouring oil, a few drops where necessary, or more if required.  It's nice to have the flowing capabilities. You really can't go wrong with either.  I used Ballistics for a number of years, it's non-toxic and smell doesn't bother me. My main issue it seems to disappear too fast. But even the heaviest oil is too liquid IMO.

I am thinking about modifying my concoction with synthetic transmission fluid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Aeroshell w80. Equates to about SAE 40 oil, is clean without as many additives as automotive oil so it doesn’t have any weird smells, and is rather ‘sticky’ when it comes to staying on areas where it’s applied after multiple cycles. Plus was given about 5 gallons of it during a hangar clean out ( paper can aviation oil not allowed today ), so got to find some use for it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Given how easy and quick it is to take an AR apart to access anything that needs to be lubed, I'm still not seeing the point. I can grease all the parts in a couple minutes, and, since grease stays put, I can go much longer between reapplications. Still not seeing a reason to use oil. If it's all you have on hand, no problem; AR's specifically and firearms in-general are not particular about lubrication type.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#16]
General Rule of Lubrication: oil for rotating parts, grease for sliding parts.  Or just use whatever makes your heart feel content.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Grease and oil, it's the same picture.

I use AMSOIL gun lube for maximum triggering (GD hates amsoil).
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
General Rule of Lubrication: oil for rotating parts, grease for sliding parts.  Or just use whatever makes your heart feel content.
View Quote

That 'rule' seems to be one of those associated gun-myths. Anyone in machining or an industrial capacity doesn't care whether it slides or rotates. The second sentence is more realistic as it applies to firearms.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Indeed, it's strange why most use oil.  They should have switched to grease decades ago.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Indeed, it's strange why most use oil.  They should have switched to grease decades ago.
View Quote

Yessir, but we know how entrenched the gun culture is.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I used oil for decades, usually Ballistol, but don't like it as much these days. It just seems to disappear. Wears off/evaporates I don't know where where the h3ll it goes.

I need the most liquid grease on the market.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I want to try adding synthetic ATF to the mix.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
grease is nothing more than oil with a salt (s) in it.

You just changed the consistency of the grease.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I get that
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top