Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2018 4:33:04 PM EDT
I was in Academy the other day and they had a 55 gallon drum full of MFT mags for $8 a mag.  Are these any good?  I didn't pick any up.  But I was tempted.  I've never heard of them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have six that I've been happy enough with as range mags. Others have had more negative experiences.

For $8 a pop don't bother, that's Magpul or GI money after taxes. I'd snap a handful up if they went <$6 for range use/loaners/flipping during the next scare.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a dozen or so that I have been using for a while with no problems. Sold a couple barrels full through the shop and haven't HEARD any complaints. Does not necessarily mean there haven't been any, just that I've not heard them.
IMHO they are no better nor worse than Magpul. I have examined them side by side and can't see any real material differences between them. In this case, price would be the decider for me. I own, and am happy with both.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the a couple of their Gen1 mags.
They feel more fragile compared to other polymer mags but have been working great so far. Drop free from all my lowers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought 3 a few months ago. Loaded them up and took them shooting. 1 split right off the bat, the other 2 have been fine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#5]
My brother has a stack of them because he didn't listen to me and buy GI or magpul...

Some puke rounds if knocked, some double feed, some are loose, some tight. Very inconsistent.

They might be fun to have around to practice malfunction drills, but I won't ever buy them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad I didn't grab any.  I know PSA has Magpuls on sale every now and then for that price but you have to get 10 for free shipping.  I was hoping these were good because then I could pick up one or two here or then when I had a few extra bucks.  I figured if they were any good I would have heard about them on here.  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know PSA has Magpuls on sale every now and then for that price but you have to get 10 for free shipping.
View Quote
They have at least 4 deals going on now bundling 10 Pmags. Ammo, ammo, Sig RDS, those with free shipping, and a soft-sided AR case not free shipping.  Probably other deals that include those bundled mags if you look.

Go hither & yon & searcheth.
Hohohohoho
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They have at least 4 deals going on now bundling 10 Pmags. Ammo, ammo, Sig RDS, those with free shipping, and a soft-sided AR case not free shipping.  Probably other deals that include those bundled mags if you look.

Go hither & yon & searcheth.
Hohohohoho
View Quote
Yep.  But I don't always have an extra $100.00+ laying around.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I had 3 MFT mags fountain out rounds in my range bag. Pass.

Their Minimalist stock on the other hand is the heat.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had 3 MFT mags fountain out rounds in my range bag. Pass.

Their Minimalist stock on the other hand is the heat.
View Quote
What he said...
Pmags are pretty much the gold standard.
Feed lips tend to spread on the The Troy mags, MFT mags, and Promags.

Academy has had the MFT mags on sale off and on for 7.99 for the last year.
You should be able to get Aluminum milspec mags for that. In my experience the MFT mags spontaneously eject rounds and the feed lips spread noticeably after loading.

My recommendation:
1.Aluminum Milspec magazine -a known quantity and lowest cost.
2. Pmag - a known quantity and costs a little more than the above option.
3. HK - expensive but will probably last forever.
4. Troy, Promag and MFT- expensive for what they are. Might be fine to have if they were free.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#12]
^^^

+1
Even HK gave up on their steel mags.. they’re now at the 3rd gen of polymer mags.. this must mean something
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up two mft mags at academy. Both in fde to go with my fde 300 blackout pistol. Color is nice but just depressing the follower down they have a weird hangup with an audible “click” before they get to the top. Also feel lighter than my one fde pmag. Obviously havent put them to any test yet but they seem.... meh.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If you need poly mags get either Lancer,  or pmags .
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
check out the extreme duty mags, they are very nice, I got 2 of them
from a replacement of the old mag that would drop ammo out
these new one's work very well...… MFT will replace any defective mags u have call them

https://www.missionfirsttactical.com/EXDPM556
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a few of their 10 rounders while I was stationed in California.  Was totally not impressed in anyway.  Felt flimsy, would puke up 1 or 2 rounds just setting it down on a shelf, had noticeable feed lip spreading after being loaded for a few days.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was in Academy the other day and they had a 55 gallon drum full of MFT mags for $8 a mag.  Are these any good?  I didn't pick any up.  But I was tempted.  I've never heard of them.
View Quote
For $8 I would pick up a couple for range toys. That's it though.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top