Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2018 8:53:12 AM EDT
I found one of the last few Mega Arms MML uppers in stock for a reasonable price.  I plan to build another 18" barreled varmint AR with it.  Anyone have one and can provide feedback on it?  Might just go quality upper with a Geissle rail instead of the Mega.  It will be a rough use rifle.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one on my 9mm build.

It's solid and I like rails that do not attach to the barrel nut.

The only issue I have with Mega stuff is that the coating isn't a normal coating (which is good) but the bad part is that it's black black not grey black like everything else but this is easily fixed by Cerakote.

Otherwise it's the nicest upper receiver/rail I own, best quality machining I have on anything to be honest. There is a reason the Mega stuff is tier 1.

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
These are excellent uppers.  It doesn't have two things that are trendy right now though....tiny handguard circumference, and extreme light weight.  In my experience you will likely have to heat the upper to install the barrel because the fit is tight (but that's good for accuracy).   Also, the handguard is a very precise fit to the upper so it may seem a little tight, but the end result is a really solid assembly, more so than a standard upper with a nice handguard IMHO.

ETA:  If I'm recalling correctly, these are also made of 7075 aluminum.  Many/most handguards are made of 6061 and depending on the design, isn't considered as strong.  Anyway, these should be good enough for hard use.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
They are nice.  I wish they had QD sockets though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Their finish is weird....has a sheen to it. Not flat black like components from other manufacturers like Spikes, Aero, etc. So, you'd gave to use all Mega components of cerakote. Other that that, machine work quality is top notch. Almost too nice to shoot, that is why I traded one that I built years ago for a Leupold / Savage .300 WM. Does a great job killing 4 leg critters
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their finish is weird....has a sheen to it. Not flat black like components from other manufacturers like Spikes, Aero, etc. So, you'd gave to use all Mega components of cerakote. Other that that, machine work quality is top notch. Almost too nice to shoot, that is why I traded one that I built years ago for a Leupold / Savage .300 WM. Does a great job killing 4 leg critters
View Quote
Yea it's almost like a coating of some sort not just a spray coating type thing its like the Mega stuff has been dipped into some thick black something but no drips/runs ect that I can see on mine, the coating seems better scratch resistant than all the other stuff including Cerakote. In other words the coating on the Mega stuff seems better than anything else it's just a darker/smoother black than everything else.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
That's why you get an equally nice Mega billet lower to match!  

Or, if you don't care how it matches, then...whatever.

Yeah, their anodizing is definitely different from most.  I *think* it has to do with how they prep'ed the surface prior to anodizing, but I could be wrong.

ETA:  Here's a pic just because...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
It is awesome. A+
The lock up between the upper and rail is super solid.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top