Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2021 6:17:23 AM EDT
I was wondering if anybody knows what the McMaster Carr part number is for the Aero Precision threaded bolt catch pin/set screw. I know that it is a 6-32 thread, but I am not able to find the same screw on the McMaster Carr site.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-threaded-lower-catch-pin

I have been toying with the idea of buying a 6" 6-32 pull through tap and a 6" #35 drill bit so I can drill and tap some of my receivers that use a roll pin instead of a set screw. My friend and I like to build rifles and sometimes split fastener orders from McMaster-Carr as they are usually dirt cheap for parts that are sold by online stores for a massive markup.

As an example, these set screws are sold for $1.99 a pair here and you can buy a box of 100 of them from McMaster-Carr for $20. Since these are one time use screws, this is a no brainer to me.  I am looking to do the same thing with these set screws.

Link Posted: 12/16/2021 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Not something M-C would have, it's a specialty part only made for ARs.

You could buy a longer set screw, and turn down the end, if you are good at machining miniature parts,
or just stop being so cheap, and buy the ones already made by Sooo many people.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not something M-C would have, it's a specialty part only made for ARs.

You could buy a longer set screw, and turn down the end, if you are good at machining miniature parts,
or just stop being so cheap, and buy the ones already made by Sooo many people.
View Quote

While I don't agree with his sentiment, I believe his conclusion is correct; there isn't anything on McMaster and it would be cost prohibitive to do these one at a time...
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Just exactly how often do you people remove the bolt catch?  Carefully put the spring pin in with tape and a brass punch, and leave it there.

I have never understood the need to make things more complicated just because we can.

Link Posted: 12/16/2021 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
From my limited searching it appears these types of screws may be referred to as "full dog point set screws" or "extra long extended tip set screws" but I haven't found any with the tip as long as what Aero Precision sells.

images from search "full dog point set screw"

On McMaster Carr, either of the 6-32 versions, 3/16" or 1/4", the longest tip is 0.076" and the length difference is in the threaded portion.

McMaster Carr extra long extended tip set screws
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Somebody makes them and it is not Aero.

I would love a box of them for just incase.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Somebody makes them and it is not Aero.

I would love a box of them for just in case.
View Quote

I bought about a hundred of 'em from CDNN, when they were selling off the DPMS leftovers. They were like $2 each, with shipping. Most places want $5 or so for these things. And no, I ain't gettin' off any. Probably used 30 already between my friends and myself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quentin Defense has them also.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From my limited searching it appears these types of screws may be referred to as "full dog point set screws" or "extra long extended tip set screws" but I haven't found any with the tip as long as what Aero Precision sells.

images from search "full dog point set screw"

On McMaster Carr, either of the 6-32 versions, 3/16" or 1/4", the longest tip is 0.076" and the length difference is in the threaded portion.

McMaster Carr extra long extended tip set screws
View Quote

A dog point setscrew only has a turned point about 0.08" long.

There is a half-dog point that is about 0.03" long.

The set screw used by all the bolt stops is a special screw
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 1:12:32 AM EDT
[#10]
You could contact this guy on Gunbroker, and ask about a volume purchase.
Aero Bolt Catch Screw
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top