Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2021 12:52:26 PM EDT
Anyone here have or played with the Maxim Defense PDX?
I am really debating one to keep locked in the car.
As a pistol I can CPL it and carry it in the car when traveling through friendly states which I can't easily do with an SBR.
Id love to hear anyones thoughts on it who's played with them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one in 5.56 and it is definitely one of our favorite AR’s to shoot, functions perfect, sound is well directed, a very fun gun to shoot!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with this specific pistol.

However, I would like to bring to your attention that the massive fireball and concussion that a 5.5" 5.56 barrel will produce (especially indoors, God help all that are present). It will be incredible.

I recently switched from a 10.3" 5.56 barrel to a 10.3" .300blk barrel specifically because of the unbearable concussion when shooting 5.56 from that short a barrel indoors.

Watch a few 7.5" 5.56 barrel videos.

A 5.5" 5.56 barrel is about as close to the worst of all worlds as you can get IMO.

Since 9mm doesn't seem to be an option, I'd suggest going .300blk over 5.56 for that short a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL did you even look at the gun or are familiar with it at all?
They have a brake they install which is designed for this purpose and greatly reduces the muzzle flash.

I find it interesting when people need to respond to a thread on something specific they are not familiar with.
Sure Id get it if I was asking about AR pistols in general but I clearly posted about a specific gun and asked for people with hands on experience with it.

Thank though!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no experience with this specific pistol.

However, I would like to bring to your attention that the massive fireball and concussion that a 5.5" 5.56 barrel will produce (especially indoors, God help all that are present). It will be incredible.

I recently switched from a 10.3" 5.56 barrel to a 10.3" .300blk barrel specifically because of the unbearable concussion when shooting 5.56 from that short a barrel indoors.

Watch a few 7.5" 5.56 barrel videos.

A 5.5" 5.56 barrel is about as close to the worst of all worlds as you can get IMO.

Since 9mm doesn't seem to be an option, I'd suggest going .300blk over 5.56 for that short a barrel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Springfield Saint Victor Pistol with 7.5" barrel. I know, it's not the same, but same principle. Is it a little louder? Yes. Is there muzzle flash? Yes. Is the sound unbearable with ear protection? No. Do I notice the muzzle flash shooting inside a shooting range? No. If I video myself shooting and play the video frame by frame, I can see the fireball, but it is not noticeable while shooting. My pistol also has a forward blast diverter and it helps.

It is fun to shoot and I don't care what anyone says, I would not want to get shot with a bullet coming out of a 7.5" barrel. My guess is it would still have more stopping power/effect on the bad guy than getting shot with a 9mm pistol and certainly a .380. And plenty of people carry them for self defense...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for a valuable fact based response!
I really think I am going to order this thing!!!  I have the LWRCI Xiphos PDW which is similar but I can't carry across state lines easily.
I almost want the Pistol and SBR but no point in the SBR when I have the Xiphos
I am just not familiar with Maxim Defense so Im wondering on their quality.

Quoted:
I have a Springfield Saint Victor Pistol with 7.5" barrel. I know, it's not the same, but same principle. Is it a little louder? Yes. Is there muzzle flash? Yes. Is the sound unbearable with ear protection? No. Do I notice the muzzle flash shooting inside a shooting range? No. If I video myself shooting and play the video frame by frame, I can see the fireball, but it is not noticeable while shooting. My pistol also has a forward blast diverter and it helps.

It is fun to shoot and I don't care what anyone says, I would not want to get shot with a bullet coming out of a 7.5" barrel. My guess is it would still have more stopping power/effect on the bad guy than getting shot with a 9mm pistol and certainly a .380. And plenty of people carry them for self defense...
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you for a valuable fact based response!
I really think I am going to order this thing!!!  I have the LWRCI Xiphos PDW which is similar but I can't carry across state lines easily.
I almost want the Pistol and SBR but no point in the SBR when I have the Xiphos
I am just not familiar with Maxim Defense so Im wondering on their quality.

View Quote

You should take a look at the Springfield Armory Saint Edge PDW as well. From what I've read, the Springfield shares many of the same parts as the Maxim Defense including the barrel and forward blast diverter. I'm not sure about price and availability between the two, but it may be worth a look.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/saint-series/saint-edge-ar-15-pistols/saint-edge-pdw-556-ar-15-pistol/
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd just do a build with a 5.5" 300 Blackout barrel and which ever brace you want. You can buy collapsible braces. I don't see anything special about any of the over priced, pre-built ARs other than billet receivers and their handguards.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LOL did you even look at the gun or are familiar with it at all?
They have a brake they install which is designed for this purpose and greatly reduces the muzzle flash.

I find it interesting when people need to respond to a thread on something specific they are not familiar with.
Sure Id get it if I was asking about AR pistols in general but I clearly posted about a specific gun and asked for people with hands on experience with it.

Thank though!
View Quote

Then I owe you an apology.

If their large krink brake does indeed tame 5.5" barrel 5.56 to a non nauseating level, I am impressed.

FWIW, I did not make my previous post as an attempt to insult your intelligence. I was genuinly concerned about someone dropping that much money on a damned nice PDW, only to have their nose start bleeding after a couple rounds and they regret it.

I am sorry.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not, but I'm too cheap to pay $2300 for one.
Why not roll your own?  You can still add a Hatebrake if you want (looked at one of those as well, but my rails are too slim, and I'm still too cheap to pay $200 for a muzzle device).

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quite simply because I like factory built guns better and price isn't a major issue.
They hold their resale very well and sell quicker than home assembled guns.
Some people drink, some gamble, some golf I buy high end watches and guns.
Nothing wrong with a home builds if that is what works best for you.
I ran a 3 day tactical carbine course and the only 3 guns that did not have an issue through the whole class were a Colt and 2 home-builds.  
My overpriced LMT MPR was a POS!  
So I will never say a very expensive AR is better than all home-builds.  
I ended up ordering the Sig MCX Rattler PCB in 5.56.
I am going to put the Maxim Defense brace on it and I am going to run a Aimpoint Micro T2 on it.
I need to look into triggers as I prefer a 2 stage.
I ended up going with the Sig as its a piston gun which I am more comfortable with in this length.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the LWRCI Xiphos PDW which is similar but I can't carry across state lines easily.
View Quote

May I ask, what brand or who makes the stock for that LWRC PDW?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#12]
LWRC makes it

https://www.lwrci.com/LWRCI-PDW-Stock-Kit_p_44.html

Its pretty sick but Id also look at the Maxim Defense stocks they are slick!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have one in 5.56 and it is definitely one of our favorite AR’s to shoot, functions perfect, sound is well directed, a very fun gun to shoot!
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd just do a build with a 5.5" 300 Blackout barrel and which ever brace you want. You can buy collapsible braces. I don't see anything special about any of the over priced, pre-built ARs other than billet receivers and their handguards.
View Quote

That's exactly what I did. Used the Maxim Defense Hatebrake on it, too. I also have a PDX in 5.56. The Hatebrake makes a huge difference in reducing blast & flash.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I did. Used the Maxim Defense Hatebrake on it, too. I also have a PDX in 5.56. The Hatebrake makes a huge difference in reducing blast & flash.

https://i.ibb.co/hD1K5B1/Capture-A2law.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/C1zr4Q1/Capture-PA4.jpg
View Quote

I love that honey badger!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#16]
That said...I have a 7.5" 308 and the EFAB tames both the flash and recoil.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top