Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2018 9:51:00 AM EDT
I'm putting together an M16 clone and decided to use a carrier I already had, A PSA premium (Toolcraft) with the laser engraved emblem. I'm not worried about building original with all Colt parts but I also didn't want a PSA logo on the carrier either. Anyway, on to the point.

I decided to sand off the PSA logo and cold blue the sanded area. Anyone who has used Birchwood super blue knows it does not turn out black, it's a dark blue smooth finish. I wanted to match the original park/ phosphate finish.
First I sanded the steel smooth and blued the area as usual. I got the idea to mix salt into the bluing to see what would happen? I know from past experience that bluing will cause steel to rust if left unoiled. I also knew that salt causes steel to rust. I also knew that the rust blued layer would form a darker and rougher finish than cold bluing alone. Thus, my red neck chemistry experiment was under way.

I took a spoon full of table salt and ground it up into a fine powder. I mixed a couple drops of bluing into the salt to make a wet paste. I applied the paste over the blued area and it immediately turned rust color. I let the paste set on the area for about 30 minutes, it turned into a hard orange crust. I then added a drop of water and mixed it around in the paste and let it sit for a few more minutes to rust some more. The salt caused the steel to form a blacker and rougher finish than cold bluing alone.
The results after wiping off the area and adding some oil are identical to the original phosphate .  If anyone is looking to match a phosphate finish this is a simple way and all you need is bluing and table salt.

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a tech forum.  Non-tech comments removed - Eric802
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
DIY for the MFkn win!
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you! Will definitely be helpful in the future.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Good knowledge to have,Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top