Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 8:58:28 AM EDT
Coming up blank on this one - aside from Lilja.
Have an email out to WOA to see if they'll spin me one up.  I know CLE would probably do it as well.  I'd prefer off the shelf if I can help it.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have an email out to WOA to see if they'll spin me one up.  I know CLE would probably do it as well.  I'd prefer off the shelf if I can help it.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

Criterion
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Ballistic Advantage (or an Aero marked one) hands down. I have a government profile in 5.56mm and a Hanson Series in .223 WYLDE
in stainless and they put rounds in the same hole at 50 meters with M855 ball.

I suggest you get one with the gas block pinned. i really like that feature.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thunder-in-ms:
Ballistic Advantage (or an Aero marked one) hands down. I have a government profile in 5.56mm and a Hanson Series in .223 WYLDE 
in stainless and they put rounds in the same hole at 50 meters with M855 ball. 

I suggest you get one with the gas block pinned. i really like that feature.
View Quote

If he is looking at WOA and Leija I don’t think BA is in consideration
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By thunder-in-ms:
Ballistic Advantage (or an Aero marked one) hands down. I have a government profile in 5.56mm and a Hanson Series in .223 WYLDE 
in stainless and they put rounds in the same hole at 50 meters with M855 ball. 

I suggest you get one with the gas block pinned. i really like that feature.
View Quote

While I love BA, I'm looking for a bit more with this one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I seem to remember DPMS makes a 16” bull barrel; should be really accurate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

While I love BA, I'm looking for a bit more with this one.
View Quote

I have a Rainier ultra match barrel. I haven’t gotten around to building it, but it looks every bit as good as my WOA. It cost more than I would like to say, but worth taking into consideration
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

While I love BA, I'm looking for a bit more with this one.
View Quote

Roger
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
LaRue Stealth barrel fits your criteria I have one and it honestly shoots better than I can.  I am not a sub-MOA shooters more just a consistent 1MOA shooter.  I have been more than pleased with my 16" stealth barrel using multiple match loads.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Olympic Arms SUM barrels had a pretty good rep around here. Been a while since Ive heard anything about them...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Not off the shelf, but Craddock could spin you one up utilizing whatever blank you want.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
Not off the shelf, but Craddock could spin you one up utilizing whatever blank you want.
View Quote

Yeah, @lancecriminal is trying to talk me into one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#12]
RRA?
They used to offer SS carbine barrels.

For what it’s worth.. my colt hbar carbine is 1moa with Hornady 75bthp.. probably I got lucky.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
After digging yesterday and talking to a few barrel spinners, looks like I have to go custom.

Now to decide between WOA, Douglas, etc.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
After digging yesterday and talking to a few barrel spinners, looks like I have to go custom.

Now to decide between WOA, Douglas, etc. 
View Quote

Did you talk to Frank at Compass lake Engineering? He may be able to make what you are looking for. He uses Douglas, Criterion, Krieger, and Bartlein barrel blanks. He does some great work. I have one of his 16" Recon Douglas SS barrels at it performs great.

Compass Lake Engineering
719 White Drive
Alford, Fl. 32420
P:(850)579-1208
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:

Did you talk to Frank at Compass lake Engineering? He may be able to make what you are looking for. He uses Douglas, Criterion, Krieger, and Bartlein barrel blanks. He does some great work. I have one of his 16" Recon Douglas SS barrels at it performs great.

Compass Lake Engineering
719 White Drive
Alford, Fl. 32420
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:
After digging yesterday and talking to a few barrel spinners, looks like I have to go custom.

Did you talk to Frank at Compass lake Engineering? He may be able to make what you are looking for. He uses Douglas, Criterion, Krieger, and Bartlein barrel blanks. He does some great work. I have one of his 16" Recon Douglas SS barrels at it performs great.

Compass Lake Engineering
719 White Drive
Alford, Fl. 32420

They're on my list.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Any suggestions?
View Quote

The Lilja Navy Seal Recce is a complete drop-in and they usually keep a few in stock.  There was no wait for mine.  This is benchrest quality.  And, as you know, is carbine gas port location as NWSC Crane specified.  1:8 twist, Wylde chambered, hand lapped.  Everything done in-house by Lilja.  Direct shipped to you, no middle men or vendors.

Yes, it’s $500 plus shipping, but you should expect not only sub MOA, but likely sub 1/2 MOA with match ammo.  Worth every penny if true, reliable, consistent precision is the goal.

Here is the profile compared to a standard so-called 16” Gov’t profile barrel.  Note that it is about a half-inch linger and much heavier under the handguard and a straight .725” from the front of the gas block forward.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I would have no reservations going with Lilja now that I have one, shoots amazingly tight groups without even trying very hard.  My previous reservation was the initial cost which I've come to realize to have been a piss poor reason.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]

They're on my list.
View Quote

Lots of good options these days.. Keystone Accuracy is always worth a call as well
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I went with the centurion arms recce barrel. But primary arms has criterion hybrid .223 wylde barrels on a memorial day sale .
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By brx123:
I went with the centurion arms recce barrel. But primary arms has criterion hybrid .223 wylde barrels on a memorial day sale .
View Quote

I have 2 Criterion hybrid barrels. Can’t go wrong
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I'm going to have cle spin me a criterion.  Frank said he'd even pin the FSB.

Now what profile?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 16" Noveske Afghan Recce that is fantastically accurate with 69SMK
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I'm going to have cle spin me a criterion.  Frank said he'd even pin the FSB.

Now what profile?
View Quote

Whats the plan for the rifle? Suppressed?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ICU:

Whats the plan for the rifle? Suppressed?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ICU:
I think I'm going to have cle spin me a criterion.  Frank said he'd even pin the FSB.

Now what profile?

Whats the plan for the rifle? Suppressed?

Going in this.  Will be cut for aem5, just have to decide what to do behind the gas block.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

The Douglas blank CLE did for Denny's Gun/GTS that I shot out a few years back was epic...

Hard to beat Larue and others for the money, but your tastes/budget seem to allow the best of the best
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

The Douglas blank CLE did for Denny's Gun/GTS that I shot out a few years back was epic... 

Hard to beat Larue and others for the money, but your tastes/budget seem to allow the best of the best
View All Quotes

The Douglas blank CLE did for Denny's Gun/GTS that I shot out a few years back was epic... 

Hard to beat Larue and others for the money, but your tastes/budget seem to allow the best of the best

Not so much taste or budget, all 16" good barrels are mid length.  I need carbine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Not so much taste or budget, all 16" good barrels are mid length.  I need carbine.
View All Quotes

Not so much taste or budget, all 16" good barrels are mid length.  I need carbine.

Oh I didn't read that!  Reading is fundamental!  

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Now what profile?
View Quote

Criterion have a lot of specs and features you would find on other really high end barrels for half the price. The two that I have are great. 77 SMK shoot the best but I load 75 grain because they are so much cheaper to load.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:

Criterion have a lot of specs and features you would find on other really high end barrels for half the price. The two that I have are great. 77 SMK shoot the best but I load 75 grain because they are so much cheaper to load.
View All Quotes

Now what profile?

Criterion have a lot of specs and features you would find on other really high end barrels for half the price. The two that I have are great. 77 SMK shoot the best but I load 75 grain because they are so much cheaper to load.

Again, criterion doesn't have a 16" carbine gas barrel
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#31]
.850 under the HG, .750 GB & .740 to muzzle, decent compromise. Actually, I think that the Lija spec..
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MS556:

The Lilja Navy Seal Recce is a complete drop-in and they usually keep a few in stock.  There was no wait for mine.  This is benchrest quality.  And, as you know, is carbine gas port location as NWSC Crane specified.  1:8 twist, Wylde chambered, hand lapped.  Everything done in-house by Lilja.  Direct shipped to you, no middle men or vendors.

Yes, it’s $500 plus shipping, but you should expect not only sub MOA, but likely sub 1/2 MOA with match ammo.  Worth every penny if true, reliable, consistent precision is the goal.

Here is the profile compared to a standard so-called 16” Gov’t profile barrel.  Note that it is about a half-inch linger and much heavier under the handguard and a straight .725” from the front of the gas block forward.

https://i.postimg.cc/W3DdcfDL/D80-C9312-5056-4961-8-CF2-22-B025-A5977-C.jpg
View Quote

This was my first thought, checks all the boxes including being basically "off the shelf".

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's the profile I think I'm going to have spun.  Blend of Lilja and the proper holland barrels

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
I seem to remember DPMS makes a 16” bull barrel; should be really accurate.
View Quote

Very happy with all of mine.

Sent the last pair of them I bought to CLE to have the chambers redone with the CLE reamer and threading to 5/8-24.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Olympic Arms SUM Is about as accurate as you can buy. It’s a national match with 4 groves.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Just curious, but what's driving the requirement for carbine gas?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By cttb:
Just curious, but what's driving the requirement for carbine gas? 
View Quote

KAC MRE rail
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#39]

I have a Rainier ultra match barrel. I haven’t gotten around to building it, but it looks every bit as good as my WOA. It cost more than I would like to say, but worth taking into consideration
View Quote

I have the 16" Rainier Ultra Match and it is definitely above my pay grade.  That thing is easily .75" MOA and shows truly .5" MOA with a guy behind the trigger that is better than me.  

Only issue is that it has intermediate gas.  I shoot only suppressed so love that gas system.

eta  I see you've made your call.  good luck with it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#40]
See what Wilson Combat has. I recently bought an 18" match grade barrel for and SPR. Rifle length gas. 5.56 chamber.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Criterion
View Quote

This....

16" Inventory....  
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hybrid-barrel-carbine-gas-chrome-lined/ ?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hybrid-barrel-carbine-gas-chrome-lined/ ?

I somehow missed that repeatedly, sorry.

For the price though, after I get a FSB bought, pinned, shipped back/forth...I wouldn't be saving much.

Having CLE spin me a criterion SS blank to exactly what I want (accommodations for aem5 can) and install a FSB puts me around $450.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Did you talk to Frank at Compass lake Engineering? He may be able to make what you are looking for. He uses Douglas, Criterion, Krieger, and Bartlein barrel blanks. He does some great work. I have one of his 16" Recon Douglas SS barrels at it performs great.

Compass Lake Engineering
719 White Drive
Alford, Fl. 32420
View Quote

18 inch CLE turned Bartlein.  She shoots better than I can.   CLE would be my recommendation.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#45]
1. I will second the CLE Bartlein with CLE chamber reccomendation.

2. I think all your barrel profiles mentioned are too heavy. My barrel is 16" and weighs under 28 oz. An SPR profile 16" is 32 oz or over if unfluted.

3. Perhaps I missed it but why in the world would you select a carbine gas system?

4. Here are some groups from my 16" CLE Bartlein 1/7.7 twist with CLE chamber. This is a custom profile, midlength, 0.775" behind gas block, 1.1" 0.750" gas block, 0.73" infront of gas block, and fluted.

Below is several different days of shooting... this is pretty much what all the groups are like, not just cherry picked ones.

So as you can see, 0.6 MOA to 0.7 MOA is a typical group size from 100 to 320 yards. If a group hits 1.00 MOA, something has gone horribly wrong!

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
3. Perhaps I missed it but why in the world would you select a carbine gas system?
View Quote

Hes using a specific rail (KAC) thats designed to work with a carbine length gas system and FSB.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Any suggestions?
View Quote

I recently built a suppressed carbine, with an AEM5. My barrel is a chrome-lined Criterion 16" Hbar, with a mid-length gas system. Its shoots amazingly well with 77's out to 600 yards.  IMO,  barrel life on a SS barrel will be shortened if suppressed. Every shot blows carbon back through the bore. Just look at the difference in the amount of carbon on the cases between suppressed and un-suppressed.

My suggestion, is Criterion. Their barrels come from the factory with an M4 profile, so you can use the M4/AEM5 collar and AEMB brake with no modifications.  I confirmed this with Criterion. Ron Allen will also make you a custom collar if you give him your profile specs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Blowback of soot and carbon suppressed has no effect on throat errosion.  The carbon does nothing at the low velocity and temperature your bolt opens. It needs to be thousands of psi and hundreds of degrees to errode the throat. I borescope my barrels quite often and have muzzle and chamber errosion gauges... I would notice if suppressed use made barrels wear faster.... suppressors dont even make the barrel dirtier or harder to clean from the throat forward.  Hell, I dont even clean my bore at all most of the time, just the chamber and wipe off internals. At most a single pass of a bore snake to get the gunk from a chamber scrub out and I only clean the chamber every third or fourth outting.

The Bartlein 16" above is shot 90%+ suppressed and is stainless. No issues. What will wear any barrel out is shooting it while the barrel is hot and total round count. The hotter the barrel, the more the next round errodes the throat.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I seem to remember DPMS makes a 16” bull barrel; should be really accurate.
View Quote

The problem is you have to live with it. SPR profiles are the heaviest profile I will consider.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Blowback of soot and carbon suppressed has no effect on throat errosion.  The carbon does nothing at the low velocity and temperature your bolt opens. It needs to be thousands of psi and hundreds of degrees to errode the throat. I borescope my barrels quite often and have muzzle and chamber errosion gauges... I would notice if suppressed use made barrels wear faster.... suppressors dont even make the barrel dirtier or harder to clean from the throat forward.  Hell, I dont even clean my bore at all most of the time, just the chamber and wipe off internals. At most a single pass of a bore snake to get the gunk from a chamber scrub out and I only clean the chamber every third or fourth outting.

The Bartlein 16" above is shot 90%+ suppressed and is stainless. No issues. What will wear any barrel out is shooting it while the barrel is hot and total round count. The hotter the barrel, the more the next round errodes the throat.
View Quote

Funny you should mention Bartlein...........Scroll to the very bottom

Here is a quote from Bartleins website:

Do shooting suppressors have an effect on barrel life?
Yes they do. On a gas gun it can shorten barrel life as much as 50%. It does shorten bolt gun barrel life but we don’t have hard numbers on that. What happens is the suppressor is keeping more of the fouling inside the bore of the barrel and with this happening it shortens the barrel life. On the gas guns it also accelerates the wear of the gas port. Which will also lead to bullet failure and damage to the suppressor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top