Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2018 5:34:29 PM EDT
Any other manufacturers or custom barrel smiths out there drill the gas port in the groove?

I know Krieger advertises it and when Brux Barrels offered Ar barrels they did it. Just don't see many manufacturers or custom smiths out there advertising it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Never even knew that could be an offering.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
How? You wouldn't know where top dead center is untill you torque on the barrel extension. Once the barrel extension is torqued on and you find tdc, the gas port is drilled at a set distance.

I don't understand how they can be so precise as to know when these two things are done, the hole will end up in a groove, not a land, not half and half.

In to learn something new, maybe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard both lands are better and grooves are better? I'm not sure how exactly someone plans out that the port ends up in a land or groove but I have heard that some do it.
I doubt most manufacturers even consider where the port will hit.
My Wilson match barrel has the port exactly in a groove but I assume it was just dumb luck?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC all Krieger barrels have the port entirely in a groove
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, Math.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
True story. And I'm pretty sure Krieger's track record speaks for itself. If another barrel maker (or barrel labeler) states that their method is better it's most likely to just counter the argument since they are doing something different not necessarily by choice.

Ok maybe I went a little too far. Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess the bigger questions is: Is there any evidence that it makes a measurable difference?  I think the fact that Kreiger makes awesome barrels has more to do with it than where the gas port is located.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess the bigger questions is: Is there any evidence that it makes a measurable difference?  I think the fact that Kreiger makes awesome barrels has more to do with it than where the gas port is located.
View Quote
It makes no measurable difference, if any at all. Early semi-automatic rifle designs focused on trying to get their gas port in a groove until it was proven it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The only way to assure it would be timed thread on both the barrel and barrel extension.  Unless they're making both parts in-house, that would be extremely difficult.  Even if both are in-hous eparts it would still be difficult to do on a large scale basis.
Steve/RRA
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It makes no measurable difference, if any at all. Early semi-automatic rifle designs focused on trying to get their gas port in a groove until it was proven it didn't matter.
View Quote
There was a thread somewhere here on Arfcom a couple months ago exploring an idea that the gas port placed partly on a land and partly in a groove is the best option in terms of reducing gas port erosion. Basically, the idea with a gas port fully in the land is this: the jacket of a bullet passing by at high velocity and with high pressure behind it is slightly elastic. The jacket deforms to partially fit in the gas port hole as it travels by, which creates a rebound effect after it passes the port and causes a point in front of (toward the muzzle) th gas port to be eroded faster than if the port was halfway between a land a groove. Interesting thread, but I'll be damned if I can find it. In short, it's matters other than gas port location that determine a quality barrel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe they scrap the ones that they deem not worthy or sell it off to other people.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe they scrap the ones that they deem not worthy or sell it off to other people.
View Quote
Like Criterion?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Krieger's barrels also don't have burrs at the flash hole either.  Whether "fully in a groove" or "no burrs" or both have a particular impact on accuracy, their attention to detail and precision go along with a very long track record of very, very accurate barrels.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 3:04:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe HK advertised doing that
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top