Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2021 12:34:20 AM EDT
I'm comparing different budget ARs and I'm really curious whether the M&P15 Sport II's buffer tube is made of 7075 or 6061. I can't see to find the answer anywhere. Does anyone know?

Also, if it is 6061, is it something worth upgrading to 7075, or does it really not matter?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what S&W uses. It's not something I would worry about. IMO, you should have a spare either way. 7075 is obviously better so get that for a spare.

I've personally only seen one buffer tube destroyed. My buddy rolled his patrol car 3 times. His Bushmaster was riding in a vertical rack. Tube was toast. I replaced the tube and it was back in action. I don't recall what aluminum it was and it wouldn't have mattered.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh I see. That's very interesting. Thanks for the reply! As far as spare tubes go. Do they require a spare castle nut and end plate as well, since the original end plate is often staked?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#3]
You can reuse the endplate and castle nut, but you should have a spare as well. A spare everything, IMO. These are fairly inexpensive parts to have on hand.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Very true. Awesome, thanks for the advice man!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top