Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2020 8:55:05 PM EDT
I'm reading various instructions but finding very little information. I got a USGI silent sling, and a alice shoulder strap with the adjuster. From instructions online, a lot of folks seem to keep the center quick release from the shoulder strap. However, I decided to cut it out so that only the adjuster buckle and USGI silent sling are there.

My question is, will this cause issues in terms of wearing? Or will the shoulder strap and sling last until either destroyed or taken off?

Personally I am really liking this over my VTAC sling. The VTAC sling shoulder strap never quite fit me but this homemade sling seem to hit the right spot. I can tighten it up just good enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
How did the sling turn out ? Have any pics. Im about to order the alice straps and a couple silent slings my self.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did the sling turn out ? Have any pics. Im about to order the alice straps and a couple silent slings my self.
View Quote

Yeah I'll try to post some pictures.

I did like the silent sling idea but decided to ditch it because the strap is too thick to my liking. Instead I'm using a M1 Carbine sling which seems to work a lot better. I heard folks would cut off the dot end and sewn the loop. I did not do that but instead used the dot end on the rear end of my rifle. I'm not sure if that is a bad idea but I'm rolling with it thus far. Did some at home test and it hasn't worked itself loose.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If its in good condition i doubt it would.  Im assuming its the later nylon version?

I just ordered the stuff to do mine, went with the silent sling, we'll see how i like it. Ill try the nylon m1 sling later
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright. It is a post WW2 1960s era one. I want to say it appears to be cotton.

I don't remember where I saw it but I recall the army did a test where they constantly used it for a period of 24 hours and the only thing snapped off is the metal tongue but the snap was easy to take off but still held in place.

I'll try to snap a picture of it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
@Brandonbeezy

Here's a picture of the Alice strap with a USGI Silent Sling:

It works well and fits well but I felt it didn't felt quite right or comfortable.

Here's a M1 Carbine sling that I felt is more right. I have three other slings and they all work very well. Fully extended it fits nicely around me, and then if I want to tighten it up a little I can do that.

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
2020-09-08_05-18-13 by brandon hobock, on Flickr

Heres how mine turned out with the silent sling.  Tried it on my Holland and it was a little uncomfortable, im going to try this but with an m60 padded next, or just leave the vickers sling on it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50321461947_c293f7aee6_b.jpg2020-09-08_05-18-13 by brandon hobock, on Flickr

Heres how mine turned out with the silent sling.  Tried it on my Holland and it was a little uncomfortable, im going to try this but with an m60 padded next, or just leave the vickers sling on it.
View Quote

This is how I like to make them. Leave the little piece with the snap on, Gives you more flexibility with regards to what width sling you connect to it, and doesn’t interfere with the adjustment if the second sling portion is too thick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
On this application i actually prefer it over my vickers sling. And i agree leaving the little extended part on really helps since the silent sling is 1.250 and the quick adjust is 1.0.

I actually paracorded one to a gp strap and its actually amazing, but the adjuster is worn out so ill have to replace it and lose the extended part with the snap.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
2020-10-06_08-58-16 by brandon hobock, on Flickr

20201006_205554 by brandon hobock, on Flickr

20201006_205542 by brandon hobock, on Flickr

I have some ideas to eliminate the paracord on the adjuster end, i just need to learn how to use a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Im actually sure if i were careful, I could drill out the eyelet rivets and reuse that without having to buy a whole new set of alice pack straps lol
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top