Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2018 6:48:01 PM EDT
Just wondering what differences I would see, if any, between a traditional Primary Arms micro red dot "tube type" scope versus a holographic reflex sight?  Tahnsk.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Well for starters the difference in reticle. But if you pretend we have a holographic EOTech reticle and a LED EOTech reticle (this would make it a fake by the way) the main difference you'd see is the laser hologram is comprised of a bunch of little red dots that make up the entire reticle. It can look a little fuzzy when you focus on it, but when you have both eyes open as intended and focus on your target as you're supposed to, it looks clear as day.

The LED reticle is not comprised of dots, it is solid color. As is the fiber optic/tritium optics reticles such as Trijicon makes.

But in a real world situation, like lets say in combat, there would be no real world difference with a consistent cheek weld. Testing a member did shows there is more parallax shift on LED red dots than EOTech's, (think shooting out of position where you can only see part of your optic window and cannot get a consistent cheek weld) this is where parallax comes into play)

Both work well in their own regards. Quality LED optics (like Aimpoint) also tend to have much better battery life. But part of that is just due to how much smaller the illuminated reticle is.

I love EOTech's for their reticle/window
I love Aimpoints for their durability/battery life.

Research and make your pick. Optimal would be get both.
ETA and P.A. makes good optics too. Think of them like a cheaper almost Aimpoint-ish.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
look through one of each if you've had PRK or LASIK
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Functionally, holographic sights are going to have less parallax and more complex reticles, but far shorter battery life.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Co-witness your sights and parallax is not an issue.  That is, aim thru the rear aperture.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow - thanks Jimmy H.

The Vortex is described as a "red dot" but I thought this style was considered a holographic or reflex sight?  Thanks.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/venom_red_dot
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
That item is a red dot reflex sight. Red dot sight as in powered by an LED as described by Vortex above. As he said red dot sights can be an open design (Venom, Trijicon RMR etc)  or closed design tube sights (Aimpoint T1, Aimpoint PRO, Primary Arms Micro dots etc)  That sight cannot be considered holographic because it doesn't use laser beams to create the reticle. Currently there are only 2 holographic sights on the market, Eotechs and the Razor AMG UH1.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Vortex, talk to us about parallax-induced aiming errors with you UH-1 sight.

What is the apparent distance of your reticle?  That is, at what distance does it appear to be, such that at that distance there is no parallax error?

For reference, I am not that concerned about parallax errors for my shooting but I am interested in parallax as it pertains to a study of optical designs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Missed this one yesterday. The spec you are looking for is 50 yards - fairly common amongst all of these types of sights as you are probably aware.
Hope this helps!
Jimmy H
View Quote
Thanks for your info and for the more general statement.  I am not worried about parallax, I just wanted to better understand.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for your info and for the more general statement.  I am not worried about parallax, I just wanted to better understand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Missed this one yesterday. The spec you are looking for is 50 yards - fairly common amongst all of these types of sights as you are probably aware.
Hope this helps!
Jimmy H
You should be concerned with parallax. Other than the T-2 the Aimpoints have serious parallax issues, unlike a holographic sight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You should be concerned with parallax. Other than the T-2 the Aimpoints have serious parallax issues, unlike a holographic sight.
View Quote
I am not.  I have used red dots since about 1990.  They are what they are.

Why are you and everyone else on this board so worried about it?  This probably requires I understand your shooting scenario,  your thought process and decision-making criteria.  As it stands, in my world, it is not a big deal, or has been blown out of proportion.

From my perspective, the EOTech law suit is about fraud (lying), not about the underlying performance issue of temperature swings affecting parallax and POI.

I shoot looking through my iron sights even with the red dot active (full co-witness mode).  This keeps my head directly behind and centered on the optic minimizing any parallax errors.  My aiming errors from red dot parallax don't seem so much worse than the errors from windage, jerking the trigger, sight (mis)alignment (the iron sight version of parallax error), etc.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top