Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2019 4:13:36 PM EDT
I'm building an inventory of repair and maint parts for my rifle.

My current organization and storage system is less than optimal so I'm trying to find something that will work well for storing parts and pieces.

I've seen a couple people using the tall fishing tackle boxes but want to ask the group what you have found to work well.  
My biggest frustration with storage boxes is that small parts fall through the gaps, fall out get mixed where you don't want or get wedged in the hinge of the box.

What do you guys use and are happy with?
Thanks in advance for the input.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how much of spare parts you have and the size of them.

I use prescription pill bottles and vitamin bottles for the small to medium sized parts. Just print a label for them so you know what's inside. Put some synthetic oil inside for rust prevention.

Now you can put this in a parts box without fear of losing the small detents, springs, screws, etc.

You can also buy clear bottles of Amazon if you wish.

Some LPKs come prepackaged in a retail blister pack, like the CMMG builders kit.

Have fun on the organization of all this!
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Parts are what I would call normal repair/replacement items, firing pins, springs, screws, buffer springs, extra buffers, replacement hammer springs, castle nuts....etc.

I love the idea of the pill bottles that's a great idea!  Those little springs are problematic when left on their own to run, they get into trouble and lose their way.  LOL
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I use those plastic shoe boxes from Home Depot.  I think they're the Sterilite brand.  The kind from Menards were complete junk.  They're probably $1.25 apiece or so.  Groups of parts are placed in the boxes.  Sometimes bags of parts or smaller containers within the boxes.  Cheap and works good.  Not super portable, though.  I keep mine in the basement on shelves with my brass, so it does fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the small parts cabinets from Home Depot

https://flic.kr/p/2i858gk
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also use the flat style contact lenses holder for pins, etc. Takes up minimal space.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
THIS is what I use to store small parts. Everything stays where it should regardless of how tiny the part is.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought this box from amazon and set it up similar to the pic.  Stole the idea after I googled ar15 organization.  I’m now trying to better organize tools.  I want most them in a carry type box.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought this box from amazon and set it up similar to the pic.  Stole the idea after I googled ar15 organization.  I’m now trying to better organize tools.  I want most them in a carry type box.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/439986/91E34DFB-BEBF-4A6B-8B5A-C15BA1E92565_jpeg-1218322.JPG
View Quote
Mine is set up just like that only with the box I linked above.  Works very well.  I like organization so mine is labelled just like that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mine is set up just like that only with the box I linked above.  Works very well.  I like organization so mine is labelled just like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/439986/91E34DFB-BEBF-4A6B-8B5A-C15BA1E92565_jpeg-1218322.JPG
Good deal.  And your box was less expensive.  I think mine was $20 something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do exactly this except mine isn't all labeled. The various springs and whatnot are in small baggies that state what they are, with multiples of each, many multiples for small parts. Basic tools such as punches, pliers, and an armorer's wrench are in the bigger compartments in the lower section; there are also small bottles of grease, lube, blue loctite, paint pens, etc.

Another thing that is useful for a quick range trip to grab and go is a small fix it box. That kit has one of every small part and a complete spare BCG. Anything beyond one backup stays in the large maintenance box.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for all the input guys.

Got a couple portable boxes similar on the way.  I like the small water tight idea as a small repair bot for the range bag.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]
50 cal ammo can, not the best, but i never lost a part.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do exactly this except mine isn't all labeled. The various springs and whatnot are in small baggies that state what they are, with multiples of each, many multiples for small parts. Basic tools such as punches, pliers, and an armorer's wrench are in the bigger compartments in the lower section; there are also small bottles of grease, lube, blue loctite, paint pens, etc.

Another thing that is useful for a quick range trip to grab and go is a small fix it box. That kit has one of every small part and a complete spare BCG. Anything beyond one backup stays in the large maintenance box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fix it box is a great idea.  I’m gonna do that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I put small small parts in labeled film canisters and store in Plano storage boxes
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#15]
While I'm going to get something more organized soon I just leave them in plastic baggies with the parts and springs that go together in one bag usually. Like bolt catch parts together, safety parts,  and so on. Parts, springs,  pins, plungers,  and detents accordingly.

Need a better system
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]

The top photo in Tigs post is what I use, from HF.   Works great for small parts...

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Pill bottles are good for batteries as well as large parts.  I use some old plastic parts boxes I picked up for cheap in various places.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I use the Milwaukee storage boxes below.  The lid seals off each bin so parts don’t get mixed up when the container is moved and you can attach containers to one another.  I then store small lower and upper parts such as detents, springs and etc. in small screw top containers

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My current organization and storage system is less than optimal so I'm trying to find something that will work well for storing parts and pieces.

I've seen a couple people using the tall fishing tackle boxes but want to ask the group what you have found to work well.  
My biggest frustration with storage boxes is that small parts fall through the gaps, fall out get mixed where you don't want or get wedged in the hinge of the box.  

View Quote

I'm gonna join the thread for the same answer.

I'm currently using a tote for large parts and a "peanut butter filled cracker pretzels" cannister for small parts. Both are full.  All of the small parts are in labelled bags, however.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I just toss everything in this huge gym bag and put a silica gel pack in there. I don't see any rust on anything.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

@smokedoff

Thanks a lot buddy, now I have seen the best set up on parts

I had plans for this weekend and you messed them up

Need to get my parts looking like yours

Stay safe

Bronc
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@smokedoff

Stay safe

Bronc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@smokedoff

Stay safe

Bronc

Awesome!  Have fun!!

Disclaimer:  I use this exact setup, but the one posted in the pic isn’t mine
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Where is the best place to bulk order USA MIL spec pieces if I wanted to build up a box full of all this stuff?

I don't see anywhere that I can buy bulk, only piece by piece.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Plano fly fishing pouch, wears on a belt. Comes with two plastic boxes with adjustable dividers. And those extra small items go in small plastic bags with inserted labels. Plus the pouch can hold cleaning supplies and other necessities for the firearm.

More of a field repair kit, not at the arsenal level.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I use the Milwaukee storage boxes below.  The lid seals off each bin so parts don’t get mixed up when the container is moved and you can attach containers to one another.  I then store small lower and upper parts such as detents, springs and etc. in small screw top containers

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278288/886938A5-F92B-44EF-A4CC-2BD613E481D1_jpe-1460962.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278288/C7EE7923-54C7-4CA0-93E2-8405DC3FE88C_jpe-1460963.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278288/6A1D9627-C4ED-4F28-8911-E7B1994E3023_jpe-1460964.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278288/B98A82A9-5344-4751-BD73-32B5A437DADE_jpe-1460965.JPG
View Quote

@QtrHorse like your setup. Where are you sourcing your small screw top containers from?
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@QtrHorse like your setup. Where are you sourcing your small screw top containers from?
View Quote

@MapMonger ....... I bought them from a lady on EBay.  She was super helpful and great to work with.  I requested specific jars in specific amounts and she made a listing for me to buy.  She goes by Decojars and it looks like she has a website now, Etsy and eBay.

DecoJars
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:28:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Fishing tackle box works well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#29]

I don't have nearly the number of AR parts to fill this up but it might be useful to some of you.  I use it for nails, screws, bolts, etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-25-Compartment-Shallow-Pro-Small-Parts-Organizer-014725R/203707065
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use an otis iwck, I put all the smallest parts in the empty oil bottle, its bid enough to hold all the lower springs,detents, and all spare bolt parts. I keep my slave pin for trigger assembly in it also. And before you say anything,  no it doesn't hold the buffer spring. You can pack a lot in the iwck case.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top